• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Armchair Cricket PC Game

albo97056

U19 Cricketer
My brother is in the process of making a new version of Armchair Cricket - the old card game for the pc (Its being written in Java). Its sort of a personal project but hes made all sorts of games in the past and Ive finally twisted his arm into doing a cricket one. Just wondered if anyone here has any ideas for what they would like in it - whether it be gameplay or the interface or whatever.

Just to give you an idea, the user interface will look like a typical card game (like hearts or something like that) with a running score in the corner and a detailed scorecard in another window one can toggle between. I'll try and put some of the graphics up here later - they do look quite cool though its in an early phase....

albo97056

U19 Cricketer
Ok as promised here are some early screenshots. I stress the final thing will be a lot more pollished with some nice graphics/menus/backgrounds and such. The final thing should have various tournaments, free game mode etc

Ive also made some additions to the original rules. There will be a rule editor allowing you to pick and choose whether you want the traditional version of the game or my modified one. Some of the improvements are:

-Bowler fatigue - there will be tiredness depending on bowling style, location etc

-Different batsmen will have a different number of cards to use. KP for example has the highest bat skill along with your tendulkars and such - they have 9 cards in their hand, whereas the worst will have 3 cards - your Chris Martins for example. This allows a greater level of tactics and means your tail dont bat all day! Howver when batting with 2 people of differing skill, as the strike is rotated the number of cards in the hand changes by 1 per ball - so pietersen gets a single and chris martin then has 8 cards, then plays a ball and has 7 cards etc and vice versa. A little complicated but I think it makes the game flow better than having to discard 6 each time the strike changes. Thats quite an extreme example though, normally the difference in skill is one or two cards.

-Bowling skill also works in a similar way.

The game will also have text commentary of each ball along with stats during tournaments and a team editor. Probably a few more additions depending on how other areas go.

please give me some feedback!

Last edited:

albo97056

U19 Cricketer
As I say theres still a lot to do, the two card shot hasnt been written yet, plus a few other things like leg byes, superb wicketkeeper etc. The GUI will be improved when all that is done.

James

Cricket Web Owner
As I say theres still a lot to do, the two card shot hasnt been written yet, plus a few other things like leg byes, superb wicketkeeper etc. The GUI will be improved when all that is done.
Looking good, email it through to me once complete and we can create a page on CW for it :)

albo97056

U19 Cricketer
Just to update, my brother is using this as his final year project at uni, so he's going back over some of the code and has to write detailed notes etc etc. Which means there wont be a decent working version til some time in the new year.

The good thing about this is it means the game will be completed, unlike a lot of them announced on here - otherwise he fails his degree! He's on for a first so I dont see him giving up lol

I will stick up more screen shots as I get them.

albo97056

U19 Cricketer
Unfortunately not at the moment. Since it's something he's submitting as uni work it's probably not a good idea to give anything away until after he's got it marked - cant have any allegations of collusion or plagiarism messing up his degree.

Maybe once its done next summer it might be possible

TheHood

Cricket Spectator
Armchair Cricket

Awesome to see someone doing a Java version!! Always thought this was the perfect card game to play online considering all the record keeping etc. Can't wait to play it!

-Jason G

albo97056

U19 Cricketer
Just to update - my bro will be working hard on this over the christams hols, so I will hope to give more news in Jan!!

It will happen, we all just have to be patient :dry: :@
As you can tell im not patient

albo97056

U19 Cricketer
UPDATE: The game will feature an online multiplayer mode. Depending on interest we will get permanent server space. Initially it will be hosted on my brother uni server. We're looking at an Aprilish release at the moment.:)

albo97056

U19 Cricketer
Hi again,
We've reached the testing phase and have released a Beta version. There are a few things yet to be finished, but you can play a basic game v the ai using about 25 national teams and Essex. Please have a go and give some feedback. The game interface isn't in its final form, so there's no need to ask for a better gui yet. The ai seems to be working, though it will probably get a bit of an update in the coming months (the comp wont bowl its best bowlers - this will be fixed at some point).

Multiplayer will hopefully be available at some point in the summer. See also the attahced team editor.

Cheers,
albo97056

AC Game 2009 files:
http://stuweb.cms.gre.ac.uk/~bp610/ACCricket/Release0.9b31.03.09.zip
(Install instructions in ZIP file)

AC Team Editor:
http://stuweb.cms.gre.ac.uk/~bp610/ACCricket/ACTeamEditorRelease0.9b.zip

Screenshots:
http://stuweb.cms.gre.ac.uk/~bp610/ACCricket/TSelector.jpg
http://stuweb.cms.gre.ac.uk/~bp610/ACCricket/UI.jpg
http://stuweb.cms.gre.ac.uk/~bp610/ACCricket/Scorecard.jpg
http://stuweb.cms.gre.ac.uk/~bp610/ACCricket/Manhattan.jpg

mohisnali6

Cricket Spectator
albo97056, your brother did an awesome job making this game. I hope he got an A+ for his work. Keep up the good work.

albo97056

U19 Cricketer
Well, we havent got a website for it yet, it depends on interest and when we get the multiplayer finished.

Here is a link to an updated version of the game, which fixes several issues:

AC Game 2009 files:
Updated Version (0.91b)

If you already downloaded the game, you can just replace your JAR file with the one in this archive.

The AI selects its best bowlers in this update. A full changelog is included in the archive.

Last edited:

Storer

School Boy/Girl Captain
Well, we havent got a website for it yet, it depends on interest and when we get the multiplayer finished.

Here is a link to an updated version of the game, which fixes several issues:

AC Game 2009 files:
Updated Version (0.91b)

If you already downloaded the game, you can just replace your JAR file with the one in this archive.

The AI selects its best bowlers in this update. A full changelog is included in the archive.
I don't know if this problem is happening only to me, but I can't seem to set one of my players as a keeper. I created a new team, and when I select him as keeper, and save changes, it just goes away. Any help would be appreciated.