• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

A seconds helping - Australias A team goes to the World Cup

NZTailender

I can't believe I ate the whole thing
Thought I might take a crack at ICC3 with an Australian A team. First up is the world cup and the squad selected is as follows:

1. D Hussey
2. P Jaques
3. C Rogers
4. S Katich
5. M North
6. A Voges
7. M Cosgrove
8. L Ronchi
9. J Hopes
10. A McDonald
11. C White
12. D Bollinger
13. N Hauritz
14. B Hilfenhaus
15. A Noffke

Can this inexperienced team steer their nation to World Cup glory for the 3rd time in a row?

In our first match we were nearly embarrassed by the cricketing minnows Scotland. We lost the toss and were asked to bat first. The selected XI of Jaques, Rogers, Katich, Hussey, Voges, Ronchi, McDonald, Hopes, Noffke, Hilfenhaus and Hauritz may look like it'd knock over the guys from the far north easily, but it wasn't to be.

We found ourselves in very early trouble with Chris Rogers getting a golden duck. Jaques and Katich combined together like they have done for NSW many times but made only 33 together. Jaques fell, then Hussey and kato went around building a partnership. Katich got out, and so did Voges two balls later. The young side was looking trouble at 5-84 and things got worse when hussey fell and Australia were 6-103.

Ronchi and Hopes managed to add 29 before Hopes was out lbw to Hoffman,

Ronchi played a fine innings for someone debut. He picked the gaps well and timed the ball superbly. He consolidated with the lower order and ended up 84 not out off 109 deliveries.

Bowling Australia started very well, with McDonald striking twice in his first over.
Australia reduced Scotland to 5-67 but a lower order fightback saw Scotland build to 7-134 before Noffke tore through the tailend to finish with 5-28.

Australia 7-196
L Ronchi 84*, S Katich 29

Scotland all out 164
A Noffke 5-28, A McDonald 3-17

NZTailender

Australia vs The Netherlands

Unchanged XI for the match. Australia won the toss and elected to field.

Jaques was dropped early in the game and hit back the next ball hitting a four through the covers. Two overs later Rogers had his stumps rearranged and Australia were 1 for 12. The very next ball captain Simon Katich was caught at mid on and Stelling was on a hat trick.
He failed to get it but he continued his impressive spell getting Jaques caught in his next over, out for 11. Australia looking extremely shakey at 3 for 19!
Voges was the next to go for 16, bringing in the form player Ronchi. Australia desperately need a partnership to steady a fast sinking ship.
Ronchi cut 3 beautiful fours off Schiferli before Reekers trapped him LBW for 24 (23).
Meanwhile, at the other end, David Hussey was slowly building an innings. He moved to 35 from 58 balls at the halfway point of the innings.
McDonald was dropped off the left arm spin bowling of Seelaar, and immediately punished the mistake by striking a four the following ball.
Hussey was out, caught behind, for 44. Australia were in deep trouble now with no recognised batsmen left. Hopes blitzed the Dutch bowling attack, quickly moving to 37 from 20 with McDonald at the other end also moving along at a quick pace. Hopes brought up his 50 off just 29 balls as Australia wrestled their way back into the match.
McDonald couldn't get his half century though, caught on 48 attempting to hit over the top. He had done a good job though, every run of his valuable.
Hopes continued his assault at the other end and saw out the innings, finishing 73* (53).

With a total of 238 on the board, the Australian bowlers started confidently against the Dutch. Hilfenhaus struck in his first and third overs, but the Dutch batsmen recovered well to be 2 for 62.
A bowling change was made with Hauritz and Noffke brought in to make the break through. After a few tight overs Hauritz managed to get a caught behind and Australia were back in the game. Noffke steamed in and claimed a wicket at the other end, the game now balanced at 4 for 87.
Noffke trashed any chances of a fightback with two more quick wickets. Hopes replaced him though and grabbed a wicket in his first over.
The Netherlands stayed defiant though, with Ryan ten Doeschate grinding out the runs against Hopes and Hauritz. He brought up his century off 130 balls and waved his bat to the applauding crowd.
He was brutal against Hopes, cracking him for foour fours in an over to bring the Netherlands back. Katich was sweating and changed the fields accordingly, hoping to stop the flow of runs.
Hilfenhaus and McDonald returned to finish their overs with the Netherlands requiring 35 runs at 7 an over.
Doeschate hit Hilfenhaus for a four in the 47th over, the run rate up at 9 an over. The match could go either way as McDonald steamed in...
BANG! Four through extra cover! Two balls later he turned a ball off his pads and they ran three. 7 from the overs with 18 needed from the final two overs.
RTD edged one past the keeper second ball if Hilfenhaus's final but was unable to find runs. Hilfy kept a tight line for the rest over the over and conceded just three.
McDonald was to bowl the final over with 15 to get. RTD to face, the crowd waited with baited breath. Who would prevail?

McDonald bowled three superb balls to which RTD played and missed. He stroked the fourth through covers for just two, then the 5th for a single. Reekers hit a boundary off the final ball, but it was in vain. Australia the winners by 7 runs.

Australia 7-238
Hopes 73*, McDonald 48

Netherlands 7-231
R T Doeschate 142*
A Noffke 3-27, B Hilfenhaus 2-47

Australia won by 7 runs.

NZTailender

Australia vs South Africa
The onus was on the Australian batting line up - Voges and Rogers in particular - to perform against the South Africans.

The selectors kept the faith though, and went into the match with a completely unchanged line up from the one that beat Scotland and the Netherlands.
The entire team went into the game with an understanding that they must lift their game to beat real opposition.

Australia lost the toss and were asked to bat.
Rogers started very positively and flew to 29 from just 20 balls with Jaques on just 9 at the other end. Fours flowed freely as Pollock and Ntini has mixed success with the new ball; they kept Jaques down but couldn't restrict Rogers.
Pollock was carted for 20 off his 4th over as Jaques hit out. Rogers moved to 48 from 30 as Australia's recent batting troubles disappeared.
Rogers brought up his 50, the majority of the score of 77.

Jaques faced most of following deliveries, quickly making his way to 50 runs. South Africa changed their bowling to no avail as the openers put on 221 runs.
Jaques and Rogers both hit their maiden ODI centuries before Jaques was out, bowled by Kemp.
Katich came to the crease and immediately went on the attack as Australia had plenty of wickets to play with but not many overs.
Unfortunately, Rogers was caught at deep mid off on 110, bringing Hussey to the crease - Australia 2 for 224.
Katich, Hussey, Voges, Ronchi and McDonald all flailed at the bowling attack, desperately trying to lift the score to a very defendable total.
They managed to fall 2 runs short of 300, a fine batting effort putting the Aussies in charge, largely thanks to Jaques and Rogers.

Smith and Gibbs started the South African chase in a very positive manner, striking at more than a run a ball to be 49 without loss in the 8th over.
McDonald struck in the 9th over, however, removing Gibbs with a beautiful delivery that went straight through him and crashed into his stumps.
Smith was out to Noffke for 49 in the 15th over as the match went back and forth between the two heavyweights.
Noffke struck thrice more, as the South African middle order crumbled - though Hauritz continued to leak runs.
Pollock took it to the Aussie bowlers though, smashing his way to 71 off 68 as Australia started to sweat. South Africa needed 40 runs at 5 an over.
Hilfenhaus, though, in his first over back trapped Pollock LBW and the game was over. Australia won by 32 runs.

Australia 5-298.
C Rogers 110, P Jaques 107

South Africa all out 266.
S Pollock 77
A Noffke 4-50, J Hopes 3-68

Australia won by 32 runs.

NZTailender

Australia vs West Indies
The lineup is again unchanged in this match, though a few players still are under pressure to perform. In particular, Hilfenhaus, Hopes and Hauritz need to step up with the ball while Adam Voges is desperately needing to score big.

So, onto the match...

Australia loss the toss and were put into bat by a confident WIndies.

Chris Gayle pulled off a spectacular one handed catch to dismiss Rogers for just six off Taylors bowling, Australia looking in familiar territory.
Katich and Jaques steadied the innings after the early wicket, moving the score to 79 in the 15th over. Katich was out soon after, however, bowled by Bradshaw.

David Hussey stroked two gorgeous fours in his first over facing, and things looked good until Jaques was out LBW to Smith.
Enter out of form Adam Voges. Could he turn it around in this innings?
He started confidently with two fours in his first two overs.
Hussey at the other end cruised to 41 off 33 deliveries with some sweet looking boundaries, Bravo having trouble containing the Aussie batsmen.
Hussey got his first ever ODI fifty, and showed no signs of slowing down. It seemed this was his day.
Voges was struck on the pad and the field erupted in a cry of howzat? But the umpire was not interested, and the next ball he clipped a ball to fine leg for four, to bring up his maiden 50, sealing a spot for the next game at least.

Hussey was out on 80 off the bowling of Smith as Australia tried to accelrate in the last 5 overs. Voges was out the following over, trying to hit a six. McDonald was next to go to Bravo, bowled through the gate.
Ronchi slapped a couple of fours in the final over before being bowled. Noffke ended the innings with a four, Australia 7 for 269.

Hilfenhaus started poorly, conceding three fours in his first over. He struck back in his second, though, bowling Smith for 1. Gayle was then caught in the slips off McDonalds bowling and Australia looked in command.
Noffke came on and continued his impressive form by immediately taking two wickets.
Hauritz and Hopes tried to keep it tight with their slow bowling, but the WIndies counterattacked and built a strong partnership until Hauritz struck in his final over. Noffke was then brought back on to finish his overs.
He removed Chanderpaul, caught behind attempting to drive, the WIndies 8 for 146 and looking very grim.
Without any recognised batsmen left, Ian Bradshaw struck consecutive fours off Hopes's bowling to get the score past 160. Noffke then removed Collymore in the next over.
Noffke ended it, trapping Taylor LBW, and claiming 5 wickets in the process. It was a superb all round effort from Australia to put the host nation away.

Australia 7 for 269
D Hussey 80, A Voges 62

West Indies all out 171
S Chanderpaul 69
A Noffke 5-22, J Hopes 2-60

Australia won by 98 runs.

NZTailender

Australia vs Bangladesh

Australia chose to rest both David Hussey and Andrew McDonald for this encounter, letting Doug Bollinger and Mark Cosgrove have a crack at playing in a World Cup.

Australia lost the toss and were asked to bowl.
THe young Tamin Iqbal started extremely well against the inexperienced pace duo, flying to 43 before being bowled by Hilfenhaus.
Bollinger bowled poorly at the other end, hardly troubling the batsmen as he ended a fruitless spell.
Noffke again made an immediate impact with a wicket in his first over, Bangladesh looking okay at 2 for 90.
The Bangladeshi batsmen took it to the Australians, at one point Noffke going for more than 10 an over.
Hauritz kept it tight while Noffke was replaced by Hopes, who bowled Nafees for 53.
Noffke grabbed a second wicket when he returned, but was still expensive - a massive contrast to his previous efforts in the cup.
Hopes bowled superbly though, showing great line and length as he kept the run rate down from his end, finishing with 3-47.
Hilfenhaus and Bollinger returned, the first being excellent and the latter being hopeless. Bollinger ended up conceding over 60 runs while Hilfenhaus claimed a hat trick to end the Bangladeshi innings on 251.

Jaques started well, and before you could get a beer down your throat, he had moved to 28 from 32 while Rogers languished at the other end.
Jaques was caught on 38, trying to slog sweep over mid on.
The run rate crept up to 5.6 an over as Rogers reached his half century. He was caught on 59, though, edging a ball high to third man.
Cosgrove started aggressively, bashing a 6 on his third delivery faced.
Katich kept composure as the run rate crossed the 6 run line. They needed to up the tempo and did so accordingly.
3 fours from a Rafique over brought things back for the boys in yellow as the run rate dipped back below 6.
Cosgrove made short work of the attack as if it were a meat pie. He cracked a marvellous six followed by a four to grab his fifty from 47 deliveries.
With 5 overs left Australia needed 18 with 8 batsmen left. Mortaza conceded just two runs in his next over to put pressure on Katich and Cosgrove.
5 runs came from the following over with 11 needed from the final 3.
Katich was bowled by Mortaza before Voges came in and struck 2 fours then a single to win the match.

Bangladesh all out 251
S Nafees 53
B Hilfenhaus 5-36, J Hopes 3-47

Australia 3 for 252
S Katich 72, M Cosgrove 63*

Australia won by 7 wickets.

NZTailender

I'm going to stop writing full things and just post the results for the rest of the World Cup.

Australia vs England

England 7 for 260
A Strauss 100
C White 2-54, J Hopes 1-31

Australia 7 for 261
C Rogers 97, L Ronchi 48*

Australia won by 3 wickets.

NZTailender

Australia vs Pakistan

No line up changes.

Pakistan 6 for 301
I Ul-Haq 63
M Cosgrove 2-25, S Katich 2-33

Australia all out 112
C Rogers 37

Pakistan won by 189 runs.

Crushing defeat. No one did their required job except maybe Rogers. Terrible terrible effort.

NZTailender

Australia vs India

Unchanged XI.

Australia 9-357
J Hopes 90, P Jaques 62

India 5 for 359
V Sehwag 99
S Katich 1-19, B Hilfenhaus 1-42

India won by 5 wickets

Got absolutely smashed. Our bowlers couldn't do anything right. Noffke went for nearly 100 runs from his 10 overs. It was carnage out there!

NZTailender

Australia vs New Zealand

New Zealand 5 for 318
J Oram 86*
C White 3-70, A Noffke 1-68

Australia 7 for 316
J Hopes 94, P Jaques 66

New Zealand won by 2 runs.

****ing frustrating as loss. We look to have had it in the bag with an over to go then Vettori just concedes two runs. ****.

Third time in a row our bowlers have conceded 300. Simply not good enough.

This loss sees us miss the top 4, so we're out of the world cup. I'm going to continue to post interesting scorecards though.

NZTailender

Australia vs India

First test victory.

Australian XI
1. P Jaques
2. J Arnberger
3. S Katich
4. D Hussey
5. A Voges
6. M Cosgrove
7. L Ronchi
8. M Nicholson
9. S Magoffin
10. B Hilfenhaus
11. M Inness

Australia all out 270
D Hussey 51, L Ronchi 40

India all out 276
M Nicholson 4-67, M Inness 2-62

Australia 6 declared for 432
P Jaques 105, M Cosgrove 102*

India all out 266
B Hilfenhaus 4-52, S Magoffin 3-69

Australia won by 160 runs

Quite a good win. We looked shakey in our first innings but the batsmen put their head down in the second and we posted a very strong score. The bowlers didn't exactly run through them but shared in the wickets fairly evenly. All and all a good win from the inexperienced side.

Somerset

Cricketer Of The Year
Unlucky with the World Cup after a decent start. By the way, Jaques is brilliant in the game so is by no means a seconds player; in my game with New Zealand he averages 68 after 30-odd tests in the 2010/11 season