• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

ICC3 English Story

hobbi06

Cricket Spectator
Ok 2nd time lucky :P

England Squad for the 2007 World Cup

M.Vaughan
I.Bell
K.Pietersen
A.Strauss
A.Cook
M.Trescothick
P.Nixon
P.Collingwood
A.Flintoff
J.Darymple
M.Panesar
L.Plunkett
J.Anderson
J.Lewis
D.Gough

So a few new faces for an England side that havn't had the best of fortunes in the one day game but come into the world cup after winning what many people thought was an impossible cup for England to win in Australlia after the dreadful test series.

First Game Vs New Zealand

We'll the first game and a very important one for England against without a doubt the best team in the group and a win here would allmost certainly put them in the super 8's on the other hand a loss could put them in danger of not qualifying.

The teams :

New Zealand

Fleming
Fulton
Vincent
McMillan
Oram
McCullam
Taylor
Styris
Franklin
Bond
Gillespie

England

Trescothick
Vaughan
Cook
Collingwood
Pietersen
Flintoff
Bell
Darymple
Nixon
Gough
Anderson

So on a pitch that is poor for spin both teams have left there leading spinners out and replaced them with pace.....

England won the toss and elected to Bowl.

I know i needed a good start against a very good NZ team and got it Flintoff struck straight away. The NZ batsmen were 3 down and only had 50 runs on the board with a pitch that really wasn't that bad. After losing a few more wickets however NZ started there recovery and by the 34th over they had 141 runs. From then on in though the NZ batsman didnt look back and smashed the ball all over the park in the last 10 overs finishing on 248.

New Zealand 248/8
B.McCullam 90 no
R.Taylor 76
J.Darymple 3-48
A.Flintoff 2-36

So in reply i needed a good start but didn't really need to swing the bat all over the place and i thought if the players dug in they could take in what my eyes was a shock win against the tournement dark horses. I didn't however plan on losing my first 3 wickets for 26 runs as Bond ripped though my top order and the two batsmen i was hoping would really impress (Cook & Trescothick). However Pietersen and Flintoff expressed the determination i expected from the top order and put victory in sight before Pietersen got bowled by Franklin. But i left it too late as NZ won by 49 runs a result at the start of the game i expected.

England 193/7
A.Flintoff 65
K.Pietersen 50
J.Franklin 2-28
S.Bond 2-40

Second Game Vs Canada

Right next up a team that we should beat but with Englands form of late anything could happen hopefully we will win if we don't it's goodbye to the super 8's. With the pitch a batsmans paradise i can honestly say if we win the toss i will bat first and put the Canadians into bowl.

The teams :

England

Trescothick
Vaughan
Cook
Collingwood
Pietersen
Flintoff
Bell
Darymple
Nixon
Gough
Anderson

Canada

Barnett
Soraine
Bagai
Bhatti
Hainey
Dhillon
Ali
Welsh
Osindie
Codrinton
Sander

Like i said with the pitch a batsmans paradise i have decided to go with a unchanged squad this time hopefully my new faces can put a few runs on the board.

I lost the toss and was put into bat

Right well that was a shocker i was 99% percent certain that they would bowl first the only reason i can think of them putting me into bat would be to pile the pressure on me if i could score runs with our poor form. Vaughan and Trescothick however had piled on the runs early on and at the half way stage had a respectable 138 without the loss of a wicket. We'll if it was Canadas plan to see if i got runs i certainly did i hit the 300 mark with 5 overs left and Trescothick smashed an extra 30 runs to take me to the biggest one day score i have ever seen.

England 348/5
M.Trescothick 140
M.Vaughan 98
K.Shander 1-47
S.Welsh 1-65

Last edited:

hallmitchell

School Boy/Girl Captain
I'm playing England to

What is crucial.

Select Owais Shah. KP at Five. Pick Chris Read on principal. Great catcher and lets in zero byes.

Owais is really clocking up some runs.

I'm having trouble in the test series.

I lost to India and Sri Lanka.
Drew agains West Indies and New Zealand.

Most of the big names are getting a pasting.

Any tips.

DCC_legend

International Regular
What's your bowling attack like? How many wickets are they taking 1) each? 2)per match as a unit on average?

cpr

International Coach
Currently on the ODI's v the West Indies. Read is a must, solid keeper and not too shabby with the bat (just hit back to back OD 50's). Mal Loye is a must for an opener though. Preferred Giles to Dalrymple as a OD spinner (though anyone else noticed Giles gets OS turn on the ball, despite being SLA?). KP and Vaughan are ok if the pitch needs 2 spinners.

Oh and recalled Ramperkash for the test team, as KP needed to get some form at club level. Not regretted it for a second :)

hallmitchell

School Boy/Girl Captain
My test and one day team.

Vaughan
Trescothick.
Strauss
Shah
Pieterson
Flintoff
Clarke
Read
Gough
Lewis
Panesar
Hoggard.

Lewis usually gets two wickets a game, Clarke gets 2-3 wickets. He's the surprise packet.
Harmison and Jones just get belted with an average for bowling in the forties.
Clarke is also averaging in the forties yet that is with the bat. I won the one day tournament against N.Z because of him.

If anyone else has lineup pointers it would be appreciated.

DCC_legend

International Regular
I take it that's the batting line-up with Hoggard as 12th man?

If So, I'd Have:

Strauss
Tresco
Vaughan
Pietersen
Shah
Clarke
Flintoff
Read
Gough
Lewis
Panesar

If Flintoff isn't performing drop him and put Hoggard in.

What are your next fixtures?

DCC_legend

International Regular
I'd bring in a few new players, just to try them out against the weaker Zimbabwe. Don't completely change the team, keep some older/in-form players just to keep the balance right.

hallmitchell

School Boy/Girl Captain
A new year

Just got flogged by Sth Africa in Sth Africa.

So new lineup for West Indies tour.

1. Vaughan
2. Trescothick.
3. Shah
4. Pietersen
5. Clarke
6. Flintoff.
7. Broad
8. Read
9. Panesar
10. Harmison
11. Rashid. A.