• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

NZ under GrahamB (ICC3)

Graham

3rd Umpire
First up for NZ under my control is the 2007 World Cup.

The following squad was selected and raised more than a few eyebrows amongst the press and fans! 8-)

NEW ZEALAND (World Cup 2007 Squad)

R.Taylor
S.Fleming (captain)
J.How

N.Broom
M.Sinclair
S.Styris
C.McMillan

C.Nevin (wk)

J.Oram
T.Canning
J.Wilson
D.Vettori

S.Bond
S.Cunis
B.Martin

Graham

3rd Umpire
NZ v ENGLAND (pool game)

New Zealand
R.Taylor
S.Fleming
N.Broom
M.Sinclair
S.Styris
C.McMillan
C.Nevin
T.Canning
J.Wilson
S.Bond
B.Martin

England
M.Vaughan
A.Strauss
K.Pietersen
I.Bell
P.Collingwood
E.Joyce
A.Flintoff
P.Nixon
J.Lewis
J.Anderson
M.Panesar

New Zealand - 240/4

M.Sinclair - 59no
R.Taylor - 56
A.Flintoff - 2/40

England - 86

M.Vaughan - 32
B.Martin - 4/3
T.Canning - 2/17
S.Bond - 2/20

Last edited:

Perm

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Jeff Wilson, Chris Nevin and Tama Canning? Haha, your game I guess. Great to see Neil Broom in there though.

Graham

3rd Umpire
I should mention that my selections are based purely on the game stats.

Also I automatically retire players from international cricket once they reach 35 years of age and I will not select very defensive batsmen.

Perm

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
I should mention that my selections are based purely on the game stats.

Also I automatically retire players from international cricket once they reach 35 years of age and I will not select very defensive batsmen.
Jeff Wilson is over 35 isn't he?

Bruce Martin - what a gun.

Graham

3rd Umpire
For the next pool game against Kenya, we've rested Ross Taylor and Shane Bond.
Jamie How comes in to partner captain Stephen Fleming for the opening partnership while allrounder Jacob Oram comes in for Bond.
Also because the pitch is not expected to favour spin, Bruce Martin makes way for Stephen Cunis.
Daniel Vettori is the only member of the squad yet to play.

New Zealand

S.Fleming (captain)
J.How
N.Broom
M.Sinclair
S.Styris
C.McMillan
C.Nevin (wk)
J.Oram
T.Canning
J.Wilson
S.Cunis

Kenya

C.Obuya
K.Otieno
S.Tikolo
H.Modi
L.Onyango
T.Mistra
T.Odoyo
J.Kamande
M.Sheikh
O.Suji
P.Ongondo

New Zealand - 270/5

S.Fleming -76
N.Broom - 53
M.Sinclair - 47
T.Odoyo - 2/43

Kenya - 202

C.Obuya - 61
J.Oram - 3/39
S.Cunis - 3/52

Last edited:

Graham

3rd Umpire
Our third pool games was against the minnows Canada.
In a move that seems to indicate that Neil Broom is being earmarked as a future NZ captain, Fleming was rested and Broom was given the reigns.
On a pitch expected to be helpful to all bowlers, Daniel Vettori was given his first run of the campaign.
Bond came back into the side for this game.

New Zealand

R.Taylor
J.How
N.Broom (captain)
M.Sinclair
C.McMillan
S.Styris
C.Nevin (wk)
T.Canning
J.Wilson
D.Vettori
S.Bond

Canada

G.Barnett
D.Soraine
A.Bagai
U.Bhatti
S.Heaney
H.Dhillon
S.Jyoti
Q.Ali
S.Welsh
H.Osinde
K.Sandher

New Zealand - 261/7

N.Broom -81
C.McMillan - 80no
U.Bhatti - 2/43
S.Welsh - 2/47
Q.Ali - 2/61

Canada - 159

G.Barnett - 46
S.Bond - 4/39

Graham

3rd Umpire
Well - all the expected teams made the Super 8 and our first game in this stage was up against the home side.

The low and slow pitch looked as though both sides would be struggling to post a big score and we decided to go in with both our spinners.
Tama Canning was the paceman to miss the cut as a result of this decision.

New Zealand

R.Taylor
S.Fleming (captain)
N.Broom
M.Sinclair
C.McMillan
S.Styris
C.Nevin (wk)
J.Wilson
D.Vettori
S.Bond
B.Martin

Windies

C.Gayle
S.Chanderpaul
B.Lara
R.Sarwan
M.Samuels
D.Bravo
D.Ramdin
D.Smith
I.Bradshaw
C.Collymore
T.Taylor

And what a match it proved to be as we swallowed the bitter pill of defeat for the first time in the tournament! :-O
After being put into bat, we struggled to a paltry 215/5 against a fired up home attack.
However, the Windies batsmen found the going just as tough, only sneaking home with a few balls to spare!

New Zealand - 215/5

M.Sinclair - 56
C.McMillan - 52
S.Styris - 41no
N.Broom - 41
J.Taylor - 2/27

Windies - 217/5

C.Gayle - 64
S.Chanderpaul - 64
R.Sarwan - 52no
S.Bond - 3/41

Graham

3rd Umpire
Looking to get back on track today with a match against the unpredictable Bangladeshis.
With the pitch expected to favour the pacemen, Oram and Cunis come into the side for this game.
Tama Canning has been unimpressive lately and his place for the upcoming big matches could well be under threat if either of these two perform well here.

New Zealand

R.Taylor
S.Fleming (captain)
N.Broom
M.Sinclair
C.McMillan
S.Styris
C.Nevin (wk)
J.Oram
J.Wilson
S.Bond
S.Cunis

Bangladesh

S.Nafees
I.Iqbal
Q.Bashar
K.Saleh
M.Ashraful
M.Rahim
S.Hasam
K.Razzak
M.Rafique
M.Mortaza
S.Rasel

Bangladesh - 183/9

K.Razzak - 55
M.Ashraful - 40no
J.Wilson - 4/45

New Zealand - 185/5

S.Fleming - 89
N.Broom - 40
M.Mortaza - 2/33
S.Rasel - 2/39

All of the bowlers performed well although there are are still concerns at the number of runs being scored off Styris.
Captain Fleming bounced back from a duck in his previous knock by leading from the front and steering us to victory with plenty of overs to spare.

Last edited:

Graham

3rd Umpire
Our third Super 8 game was against Pakistan.

Scotty Styris was rested in favour of the in-form Jacob Oram who has been performing better with the ball.
With another pitch expected to favour turn, Martin and Vettori get another crack.

New Zealand

R.Taylor
S.Fleming (captain)
N.Broom
M.Sinclair
C.McMillan
C.Nevin (wk)
J.Oram
J.Wilson
D.Vettori
S.Bond
B.Martin

Pakistan

M.Hafeez
M.Knan
I.Ul-Haq
M.Yousuf
S.Afridi
K.Akmal
I.Nazir
A.Mahmood
R.Naved-ul-hasan
R.Iftikhar-anjum
D.Kaneria

New Zealand - 198

C.Nevin - 83
N.Broom - 56
R.Iftikhar-anjum - 3/35
D.Kaneria - 3/41

Pakistan - 199/3

M.Yousuf - 106no
M.Hafeez - 56
S.Bond - 2/31

We got off to a disastrous start after being put in to bat with our top order failing for the first time in the tournament.
At 55/4, it was left to our rock, Neil Broom, and keeper Chris Nevin to resurrect our innings.
These two got us through to 137/4 after 30 overs, but when they decided to up the tempo, disaster struck again as two wickets fell in one over.
Nevin got some good support from the golden boy Jeff Wilson, but once he fell, the tail offered little support as we were dismissed for 198.

In reply, M.Yousuf anchored the innings for the Pakistanis with a fine unbeaten century as we were put to the sword.

We remain 4th in the Super 8, but can't really afford to drop another game if we're to make certain of a semi-final spot.

Graham

3rd Umpire
A big match v India up next.
Thankfully the pitch is expected to favour the pacemen more, so we've gone in with an all pace attack with Oram holding his place ahead of Styris.
The plan is to bowl first and hope that the faster outfield later in the day will aid the chase.

New Zealand

R.Taylor
S.Fleming (captain)
N.Broom
M.Sinclair
C.McMillan
C.Nevin (wk)
J.Oram
T.Canning
J.Wilson
S.Bond
S.Cunis

India

V.Sehwag
M.Dhoni
S.Tendulkar
R.Dravid
Y.Singh
S.Ganguly
I.Pathan
A.Kumble
M.Patel
Z.Khan
S.Sreesanth

India - 230/6

Y.Singh - 58no
J.Wilson - 3/53

New Zealand - 234/4

S.Fleming - 117no
C.McMillan - 47
M.Patel - 3/46

The boys dug deep when it mattered post and the pre-match plan came off with flying colours.
Stephen Fleming chalked up our first century in the tournament, ably assisted by the much vaunted Craig McMillan in particular.

Points Table

8 - Australia
7 - Pakistan
6 - India
6 - New Zealand
4 - Bangladesh
3 - South Africa
2 - England
2 - West Indies

Last edited:

Graham

3rd Umpire
Same conditions, same team, same gameplan against the desperate South Africans next up!

New Zealand

R.Taylor
S.Fleming (captain)
N.Broom
M.Sinclair
C.McMillan
C.Nevin (wk)
J.Oram
T.Canning
J.Wilson
S.Bond
S.Cunis

South Africa

G.Smith
H.Gibbs
J.Kallis
A.Prince
A.De Villiers
J.Kemp
M.Boucher
S.Pollock
A.Hall
A.Nel
M.Ntini

South Africa - 205/7

M.Boucher - 46no
H.Gibbs - 46
J.Kemp - 40
J.Oram - 2/36
J.Wilson - 2/42

New Zealand - 206/4

R.Taylor - 90
M.Sinclair - 55no

Another sterling performance from the NZ pacemen restricted the desperate South Africans to a lowly total of 205/7.
Ross Taylor made a timely return to form to set up a successful chase and Matthew Sinclair saw us through to a victory that secures us a semifinal spot.

Last edited:

Graham

3rd Umpire
At stake in the last Super 8 match v Australia is that the winner plays India in one semi whereas the loser has to face the unbeaten Pakistanis in the other.

For the third match in a row, we've kept the same side.

Looking ahead, the only change for the semifinal could possibly be Styris in for Cunis (depends on how Cunis goes here) or Martin in for Cunis (if the pitch conditions favour some turn).
Using both spinners hasn't worked for us in previous attempts and Vettori hasn't been all that wonderful anyway.

New Zealand

R.Taylor
S.Fleming (captain)
N.Broom
M.Sinclair
C.McMillan
C.Nevin (wk)
J.Oram
T.Canning
J.Wilson
S.Bond
S.Cunis

Australia

M.Hussey
M.Hayden
R.Ponting
S.Watson
M.Clarke
B.Hodge
A.Gilchrist
N.Bracken
S.Clark
S.Tait
G.McGrath

New Zealand - 249/7

C.Nevin - 49
J.Oram - 47
S.Fleming - 42
S.Watson - 3/53

Australia - 230

M.Hayden - 60
B.Hodge - 46
J.Oram - 4/41

Aussie won the toss and put us in to bat.
Our score of 249/7 was always likely to cause the Aussies problems and so it proved to be.
We kept chipping away picking up wickets on a regular basis, and they fell further and further behind the required run rate.
A great victory over our fierce trans-Tasman rivals and we've supposedly got the easier semi-final. :)

Super 8 Final Standings

13 - Pakistan (no losses, tie v SA)
10 - NZ
8 - India
8 - Australia
6 - Windies
5 - SA
4 - Bangladesh
2 - England

Graham

3rd Umpire
SEMI-FINAL v INDIA

Just one change to our side with slow left armer Bruce Martin replacing Stephen Cunis.

New Zealand

R.Taylor
S.Fleming (captain)
N.Broom
M.Sinclair
C.McMillan
C.Nevin (wk)
J.Oram
T.Canning
J.Wilson
S.Bond
B.Martin

India

V.Sehwag
M.Dhoni
S.Tendulkar
R.Dravid
Y.Singh
R.Uthappa
I.Pathan
A.Agarkar
A.Kumble
M.Patel
Z.Khan

Graham

3rd Umpire
WORLD CUP 2007 SEMI-FINAL

India - 275/4

R.Dravid - 95no
R.Uthappa - 57no
T.Canning - 2/36
J.Oram - 2/56

New Zealand - 276/8

S.Fleming - 84
C.McMillan - 59
A.Kumble - 4/40

We did it! :)

After the Indian batting machine racked up an imposing 275/4 led by Dravid and rising star Uthappa, things looked grim.
A bold attacking approach was obviously needed in our chase, but at 42/2 with Taylor and Broom back in the pavilion, it was a less than brilliant start.
However, captain Fleming kept up the necessary run rate in building partnerships with both Sinclair and McMillan.
The plan was to bring the run rate down to a manageable one in case the lower order batsmen were required later.
And the plan worked! Despite veteran Indian spinner Anil Kumble's best efforts to thwart us, the ninth wicket pair of Jeff Wilson and Shane Bond kept their cool to see us home with a couple of overs to spare.
The NZ World Cup jinx is over. WE've made a final for the first time! :cool:

Graham

3rd Umpire
In the other semi-final, the Aussies pulled together to oust the previously unbeaten Pakistanis. :-O

Australia - 287/3

M.Hussey - 84
M.Hayden - 69
S.Watson - 50no
M.Clarke - 46no

Pakistan - 240

M.Yousuf - 105
S.Clark - 3/46

So it's an NZ v Aussie final! 8-)