• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Cricket Coach Thread

mallorys1

Cricket Spectator
Back to the drawing board

Initial impressions after eagerly anticipating this release for many months are as follows

1. Very disappointed by the gameplay. there seems to be little semblance of a game of cricket going on here, apart from the stats, and player names.
2. The ability to set fields and/or tactics is undermined by the poor visual representation of the fielding. fielders seem to glide past the ball and just let it go to the boundary. how can you hope to sert a field with this going on?
3. You can have all the depth of stats/ first class competitions you want, but if you don't get the fundamentals of the gamplay right, you have a very boring, predictable, and unrealistic simulation, not a game of cricket strategy and skill.
4. There is no discernable tempo to the game. unlike in ICC, when you could start to get a feel for when you should a a batsmen "take on the bowling". Likewise as a bowler there is no discernable feel to whether you tactics are working or not working. You appear as likely or unlikely to get a wicket at any stage of the game, regardless of the settledness of the batsman, or the type of bowling, fielding you are employing.

4. in it's present incarnation this is a freeware game a best, with a very amateurish game play.
5. unrealistic AI. Who would've thunk that simon Katich and Sachin Tendulkar would be the lynchpin of a NSW domestic Bowling attack, as they were in my game. I had no problems as Qld seeing off the challenge of Lee, Clark, but gee Sachin and Katich were absolute demons, on what was supposed to be a great batting track

I realise this is a first up effort, but really considering the hype on the Rockingham website about all of the features, I am very disappointed at the actual product. Have to question how the developers Glen and Oli could really have the confidence to release this as it is.
I don't subscribe to the "the buy the game now so that it get's better in the future" philosophy of some posters here. If it ain't up to scratch why spend your hard earned cash on it?
IMO ther are other games out there that as a freeware products hold up better than cricket coach. For example the Freeware Aussie rules game Footy Fanatic. I would've happily have paid a budget price to buy Footy fanatic, as it had the elements that make repeated playing fun. That is a feeling of atmosphere, statistical depth, solid gameplay, and a feeling that the tactics you employ have a bearing on the result that unfolds.
I do not see that in Cricket coach in it's current incarnation.
I'll not be proceeding further than the trial version, unless ther are major changes to this game.

I have for years wished for a classy cricket management game, and am not simply dumping on this game for fun. but the disappointment realised upon spending the last few hours trying to work this game out leaves me wondering why this was released as it is. I genuinely want Oli and Glenn to succeed and realise the potential the game undoubtedly has. but to expect people to buy that this is a professional game, and ask in return for it people's hard earned money is a big stretch at the moment.

Last edited:

Jamee999

Hall of Fame Member
I can't get past this screen.

It pops to this when I press next:

But choosing Yes OR No puts me back to that top screen :(

Last edited:

imagine

School Boy/Girl Captain
my two cents:
pro: very good interface and statistic ratings.

cons: unresponsive mouse actions
havent been able to progress to an end of match. crashed twice.

Sorry. i ws planning to buy, but now changed my mind until it's less buggy. i have bought ITC too, so i was expecting more...

sawu

Cricket Spectator
Haddin said:
Mate, remember, they are very young, and I would like to see you come up with a game with no bugs. I'm waiting.
I don't care how old they are. What the heck has that got to do with it when they have released a game which would cost me around $75 to purchase (New Zealand). If they expect me to pay that for the current product, they are kidding. And using the excuse of "why don't you do it yourself?" is just the most pathetic excuse in the book (fortunately the developers aren't foolish enough to use that excuse themselves). If you buy a pair of shoes that are faulty, or a car which doesn't work properly, do you say "well they can't do it properly, so I'll make a pair of shoes/make a car myself". THEY chose to develop a game and market it at a cost of 25 pounds. That means it's their job to make sure it is worth that amount, or else they have to expect criticism (and I'm sure they are not so "very young" to appreciate that the game is currently in a state not fit for release at that cost).

Look, don't get me wrong. This game has some great potential. But there are so many issues at present, including (but not limited to):

- the bugs. Just from one hour of play, I've had one game stopping crash, another crash when attempting to Alt-Tab in the fullscreen mode, and a total inability to play in windowed mode (apparentely I don't have a keyboard connected to my computer - how on earth I am typing this message is beyond me ;) .

- the innaccuracy of stats. I thought this would be the major drawcard of the game. But, the squads are full of selections of players that destroy any proper sense of realism and involvement in the simulation. Jordan Sheed in the NZ team? Di Venuto in the Aussie team? These go on and on. And the squads aren't even particularly up to date. Mohammed Wasim is still in the Otago team, and there is no sign of players such as Trott and Broom. Many squads are clearly from LAST season (I mean 2004/2005!).

- whilst the general layout and idea behind the interface is good and promising, the interface bugs are just a laugh. Often multiple clicks are required to select a button. The feedback of the interface in general is often terrible. Sometimes a second mouse cursor appears out of nowhere, making it next to impossible to use the interface.

- From what I can tell, I can only play this trial for one day. One day. As far as I am aware, that will actually finish at midnight tonight according to the time on my computer. So I have around 8 hours to test the game out. Fortunately, due to the bugs/errors/inaccuracies, I didn't need much more than 8 minutes to decide I am NOT going to buy it in the current state.

- this whole pricing deal is ludicrous. How can the price of downloading the game off the net be 250% more than buying it in a store? It just seems really fishy. The only reason why we have the offering of "more bugfixes and updates" for the downloadable version is because the developers are clearly very aware that they need them! So this cost difference is simply ridiculous - SURELY it should be CHEAPER to download a game than buy it off the shelf (which requires factored costs of publisher, packaging, etc)?

I think Oli and Glenn seem like nice genuine people. So surely they can admit that they have ballsed up a bit. Why, when they recently delayed the game, did they pressure themselves by stating a date when it MUST have been apparent they could never satisfactorily meet that deadline? Look, I didn't even have high expectations at all of this game, as I was scared that this would happen. But even I am taken aback by the quality of the release, and the attitude displayed so far from Oli and Glenn.

Glenn Stiemens said:
People suffering from "Can't acquire keyboard device" error messages need to be patient when loading the game up. Don't click/press keys etc elsewhere while the window is initialising - again, this surfaced only late on.
I never clicked or pressed any other keys. And I had no other programs open. How can you have missed a bug like this - and try and lump it on the user?

Also - Glenn trying to suggest that they were not having problems with the game at the last minute, and attempting to suggest it was merely Softwrap problems, is very amateurish - especially when Oli admitted in the same thread that they WERE still fixing problems with the game.

Also, when it was suggested the game was "Sluggish" (which I would have thought anybody could have accepted), Glenn's remark:
If you are already in the second season (ie the southern hemisphere) one this early you can't call it sluggish. October is a processing heavy month due to all the transfers going on..
^ Another arrogant and bullish remark.

Good luck to Oli and Glenn in developing the game. I sincerely hope it eventually turns out to be a great game. But I also think you guys need to have a long hard look at yourselves and try and figure out exactly what you are trying to acheive with this release.

Last edited:

sawu

Cricket Spectator
Oh, and I forgot to add something else. It was also the most important criticism; I just didn't feel immersed in the game at all - and therefore just didn't find it fun. It's hard to know exactly why; I am hoping it is simply due to the number of bugs and inaccuracies which could be ironed out in the near future.

Jungle Jumbo

International Vice-Captain
Just downloaded it and started a season with Dhaka. Crashed the second time I pressed continue.

Some points I've got to make:

- Is there a filter for the news (I really don't care about some of the county championship results)

- Too many 'new' players playing Tests (Who the hell is Bailey)

- Overseas players, particurlarly outside of England. Why for example is Tendulkar playing for NSW?

EDIT: Are we also going to get another shot at a bug-free demo?

- Small quibble, but after playing with Dhaka I'm noticing that although players' names are correct ("Javed Omar"), his initial ("M for Mohammad") is used instead of "J for Javed", so his name looks like "M Omar" on most screens.

Blaze

Banned
sawu said:
Oh, and I forgot to add something else. It was also the most important criticism; I just didn't feel immersed in the game at all - and therefore just didn't find it fun. It's hard to know exactly why; I am hoping it is simply due to the number of bugs and inaccuracies which could be ironed out in the near future.

It will be because the gameplay is terrible.

Chris Rice

Cricket Spectator
James said:
He does have a valid point Haddin, and I don't personally see why age comes into it at all. To my knowledge Glenn and Oli are both mid-20's and they're releasing a game at the cost of 24.99 pounds, the same as a fully commerical release so they have to expect to be judged just the same.

To use Dan Thomas as an example, he was a one man team with ITC and released it with basically no bugs at all, so to use the small development team as a reason why it happened just doesn't wash.

To release a piece of software in its "final" state with this amount of problems and bugs is just well truly unbelievable basically. The comments from forum member Blaze just sum it all up basically. To be taken seriously, they simply had to do better than this IMO. How many people are going to actually trust their hard earnt 24.99 pounds to this now?

I hope the cd-rom version of the game isn't going out like this, because I'll feel sorry for those people who buy it if it is.
The game is being released at £19.99 for the first month, just to point that out.

Using ITC as an example is slightly unfair as CC is far more detailed and complex, they are two totally different games.

The game could never ever of been bug-free, the nature of programming a game this size means there will be bugs. However I personally feel that that the current version is still an enjoyable simulation of being a Cricket Coach.

Jamee999

Hall of Fame Member
Chris Rice said:
The game is being released at £19.99 for the first month, just to point that out.

Using ITC as an example is slightly unfair as CC is far more detailed and complex, they are two totally different games.

The game could never ever of been bug-free, the nature of programming a game this size means there will be bugs. However I personally feel that that the current version is still an enjoyable simulation of being a Cricket Coach.
Yeah, there's nothing more enjoyable than a buggy screen about softwrap.

Blaze

Banned
marc71178 said:
Mine beats that!

For the record in this, Murali barely bowled and no 6s out of this total.

:laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

When did they eventually break the partnership marc, or are you still going?

James

Cricket Web Owner
Chris Rice said:
My mistake.

Chris Rice said:
Comparing the match engine, what makes you think it's more complex? ITC's match engine produces accurate results, and can be relied upon. As many people have pointed out in this thread, that just isn't the case with CC.

CC does have more features than ITC in terms of teams, news, etc but when comparing the two match engines on their own, ITC wins hands down IMO. Just read the comments in this thread for the reason's why. Stephen Fleming bowling 86 no balls in a 22 over spell is one example :blink:.

You're the artist for the game right? Nice work, the interface and general look is quite nice.

In the end though, it's the gameplay that makes the game, not pretty graphics.

Chris Rice said:
Granted yes, but none of us expected it be 100% bug-free, but in it's current state, it's basically unplayable as everyone in this thread has pointed out.

I just can't believe the game didn't go through proper testing, as you've now lost the trust of probably over 50% of your potential customers.

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
sawu said:
These go on and on. And the squads aren't even particularly up to date. Mohammed Wasim is still in the Otago team, and there is no sign of players such as Trott and Broom. Many squads are clearly from LAST season (I mean 2004/2005!).
To be fair, with Trott - he's a Warwickshire player in the English summer, so is most likely included in that squad and there's no guarantee he'll move back to NZ for 05/06.

sawu

Cricket Spectator
marc71178 said:
To be fair, with Trott - he's a Warwickshire player in the English summer, so is most likely included in that squad and there's no guarantee he'll move back to NZ for 05/06.
Doesn't take away from the fact he DID play for Otago this summer, and was the most dominant player in the domestic competition. If the game can't handle this scenario, it would be extremely disapointing (a number of players in New Zealand play "on loan" from English teams during their winter, so it's quite a crucial aspect of getting an accurate and realistic league). And, funnily enough, I think I did do an ingame search for Trott, and couldn't find him at all (may have been due to the limitations of the search engine though).

And still doesn't take away from the other squad inaccuracies.

crickhowell

U19 Vice-Captain
I've had no problems with the game crashing though I have yet to try alt-tabing or using windowed mode (I haven't found it yet). When the screen goes dark it is just processing and if you wait the game will proceed.

I do agree with some of the sentiments of other posters about the matches not really feeling like cricket and that there is an excessive amount of news.
Something I find very annoying is that when I release poor players in an attempt to cut down on the number of players in my squad or with the intention of replacing them with a better player they are automatically replaced with, for the most part, worse players. I know this is because the chairman thinks "the squad is understrength to be competetive" but I wont use most of these players even when my best players are on international duty so they are a waste on funds and just plain annoying.

If these things can be fixed it will be a truely excellent game and I hope Oli and co do fix them because I'm now unsure about wether I should buy now and wait for updates or not.