• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Turning Chances into Wickets in 2005

Slats4ever

International Vice-Captain
In previous versions such as ICC 2001, ICC 2 and ICC 1 I've pretty much mastered how to play and win most games. However since playing ICC 2005 as Australia (supposedly the worlds best) my win ratio would only be about 25% of games won. Everytime I play the other team scores more than 450 in at least one of their innings.

I do everything that I know how including bowling in the areas they don't like and bowling bowlers that they don't like facing yet they continually smash my attack.

One thing I have noticed however is the extremely high levels of chances that the opposition gets compared to me. I tallied all the chances up on the recent Ashes series I played where England in total had 160 chances when they were playing (avg 32 per games) and I only had 45 (average 9 per game). Is this just pot luck because it seems to happen quite regularly.

NZTailender

I can't believe I ate the whole thing
Yeah, good reply. Real helpful.

How many bowlers are you using? Are you using combinations (i.e., bowling with two fast bowlers, then changing to say medium pacers and spinners etc)

Are you picking the right attack for the right pitch? What's the averages for your bowlers?
Are you alternating between over and around the wicket?

Sometimes bringing on batsmen to bowl breaks a partnership. Also, if you're bowling where they don't like it, and are smashing you, change it to where they do like it. Sometimes it works and gets them out straight away.

And how many overs do your bowlers bowl at once?

NZTailender

Also, field settings are important. Agressiveness and placing a field for an on/offside player...

age_master

Hall of Fame Member
Slats4ever said:
One thing I have noticed however is the extremely high levels of chances that the opposition gets compared to me. I tallied all the chances up on the recent Ashes series I played where England in total had 160 chances when they were playing (avg 32 per games) and I only had 45 (average 9 per game). Is this just pot luck because it seems to happen quite regularly.

very strange

Quagmire69

School Boy/Girl Captain
Neil Pickup said:
You will get banned if you keep a) attacking other members and b) bypassing the filter.

Consider this an official warning
if i was to be banned i wud still hold tha most recoprds for over a year

NZTailender

I'm sure I'd beat them by CTRL+ALT+DEL the game closed then starting it again after every over as well 8-)

Last edited:

Slats4ever

International Vice-Captain
NZTailender said:
Yeah, good reply. Real helpful.

How many bowlers are you using? Are you using combinations (i.e., bowling with two fast bowlers, then changing to say medium pacers and spinners etc)

Are you picking the right attack for the right pitch? What's the averages for your bowlers?
Are you alternating between over and around the wicket?

Sometimes bringing on batsmen to bowl breaks a partnership. Also, if you're bowling where they don't like it, and are smashing you, change it to where they do like it. Sometimes it works and gets them out straight away.

And how many overs do your bowlers bowl at once?
I'm only playing 4 bowlers.... I bowl 1 fast, 2 fast mediums and one leg spinners. I don't usually look to much at the pitch cos I think that i have a balanced attack. In most series I have a bowler avg 30-35 and the others are above 40.

darko21

U19 Debutant
Hey, don't bring the debate of records to a different thread. Belongs in my thread... Wait, no, you can keep it here.

And, I actually hold a certain numbers of records as well Quagmire.

NZTailender

Slats4ever said:
I'm only playing 4 bowlers.... I bowl 1 fast, 2 fast mediums and one leg spinners. I don't usually look to much at the pitch cos I think that i have a balanced attack. In most series I have a bowler avg 30-35 and the others are above 40.

I usually play 4 bowlers, and sometimes an bowling all-rounder who bowls medium pace if it's swinging.

If the pitch is a big turner, play two spinners but open the bowling with two fast bowlers (RF or RMF...btw RMF is slightly better than RFM?) so they are using the new ball. Bring them back on later on to swing and give the spinners a rest...

darko21

U19 Debutant
My combonation of bowlers is usually 3 paceman and 1 spinner. The paceman have varied but I like each bowler to be different eg. RFM, LMF, RM, OS (which I have at the moment). I don't know if vaired pace helps to get more wickets but the combo doesn't let me down too much.

Back to the inital post, I had a match not so long ago where England were put down several times by my men and scored around 300. When I came in, all of a sudden I lost 4 wickets for 50, every chance was taken. Luckily a partnership came to rescue the match but I have noticed that my team always puts more chances down than the CPU.

NZTailender

darko21 said:
but I have noticed that my team always puts more chances down than the CPU.

Yeah, me too. Not so much the keeper but the outfield. Perhaps fitness is the key for catches? I usually just use physio on the bowlers who need it and batsman if they're really low, but I've never given it much thought otherwise.

ash chaulk

International Captain
ive used the same bowlers for the last 7 years - LFM RMF RFM(allrounder) OS and LS seem to do ok won the world cup once

James_W

U19 Vice-Captain
I just go with 3 of my best pacemen and 1 spinner, but if the pitch is turning, I'd put in a second. (Try MacGill, for me, he got 16-129(ish) in a match against India.)

timraa

Cricket Spectator
i usually have 4 pace and 1 spinner in internationals, with 1 of the pacemen being an allrounder. in county cricket i doctor the pitch to whatever combination i've got, at the moment i have 2 spinners, 2 pace and an allrounder who bowls spin, so i just use a spinners pitch