• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Price of £25 ridiculous!!!

phil sam

Cricket Spectator
Surely this is not the final price.

Your joking

£25. Even in England games such as football manager 2006 cost £10 less if you know where to buy them. This is completely out of order. I know people have worked hard on the game but this price is going to scare many people off.

I would gladly have paid upto £15 for a game which won't even be available in the shops, but I won't be buying the game at this inflated price.

I would urge whoever is in charge of the game to revise this price, as I think it will seriously impact upon sales, thus leading the game to be viewed and played by far less people. If they have confidence in the game surely they will want as many people as possible to buy it, experience it and then tell there mates about how good it is. This would increase sales.

An inflated price of £25 won't.

What do other people think? Is £25 a price you are happy to pay? Or has it made you think twice about buying the game. One things for sure it dosen;t offer value for money. I think the producers of the game are sure that only a select few people will buy it (i.e members of this site). Therefore they feel they can charge almost whatever price they like and because people have been looking forward to it for so long, and the fact that there are so few cricket management games around PEOPLE WILL STILL BUY IT.

Whilst to a certain extent this may be true I think its slightly unfair on people who have supported and promoted the release of the game, only to be held to ransom somewhat over the price.

Please rethink the price of the game, or at least allow some feedback as to what people (the customers) consider to be a fair price.

Thanks for reading :)

Neil Pickup

Cricket Web Moderator
I may be getting cynical here, but could we please make our minds up about why we're slagging off Cricket Coach.

So far I've heard a) It has no producer and b) producers are greedy. This makes no sense.

£25 is NOT an expensive cost for a PC game. It never has been. It's one night out compared to what will in all likelihood be tens/hundreds of hours of gaming.

What they are looking for is the price that will maximise their profit, not sales.

CricketGames.com

School Boy/Girl Cricketer
Not sure where to start here but all these complaints and threads about the price are ridiculous.

£25 is definitely not expensive for a comprehensive PC game and the fact that it is only available on the web is (in my opinion) irrelevant to the price. Someone mentioned Football Manager is £17.99 (different thread) if you know where to buy. The big difference is that those places are selling it at cost or even at a slight loss hoping you will buy other things. To put this in context slightly. To put this in context slightly. I sell ITC for £16 for the enhanced version even now for a downloaded version. It still sells. That has far less features than Cricket Coach but people still enjoy it for the match engine and stats.

The easiest way to decide if Cricket Coach is value for money is based on the hourly cost of your entertainment. If you pay £6 to go the cinema for a 90 minutes film that is £4 per hour. Even a 2 hour film is still £3 per hour If you play the demo of CC buy it and then play in for 50 hours it has cost you 50p per hour play. That is a bargain in comparison. Plus as Neil mentioned above £25 is typical for a night out that may be only 5 hours (or less) long.

I doubt Cricket Coach will be released in shops (my opinion not fact) for the simple reason it will not be worth it due to economics. When a game is released in shops the cost breakdown (in UK) is 15% VAT (yes VAT is 17.5% but I'm treating the final price as 100% inc VAT), 40% shop (hence reason many shops can sell at significantly less than RRP and still make a profit), 15-20% distributor and the remaining 25-30% is split between publisher and developer but the developer normally only gets their share after all costs have been met. Plus the publisher/developer actually has to pay to get the game on the shelf of Game, etc. plus pay for any in store advertising. This is why even big names like Half Life 2 used Steam as their own distribution method.

If you really think £25 is too much for the hours of potential enjoyment in Cricket Coach then don't buy it. But I reckon it is you who will lose out in this case not Rockhampton.

Daniel.

Last edited:

CricketGames.com

School Boy/Girl Cricketer
superkingdave said:
Selling software on the internet does not exempt it from VAT...
Sorry yes I am aware of that although it is possible that Rockingham are small enough that they may elect not to be VAT registered. It is a few years since I had a company in the UK so not sure of what the current threshold is where you have to be VAT registered. If they can do it probably make sense not to be VAT registered otherwise they have to pay that ~15% out of every £25 sale to the tax man. I was just trying to show how little the developer gets when a game is sold in a shop.

Daniel.

superkingdave

Hall of Fame Member
yeah it depends on how many copies you expect to sell obviously, i think the limit is about £60,000 turnover in a year - so i guess if they aren't expecting to sell more than a couple of thousand copies they won't need to bother

Burpey

Cricketer Of The Year
£25 = $58 AUD. $58 is a very reasonable price for a new video game in Australia. Some games when they first come up even reach $100, so I'll be very happy to pay the £25.

Paid The Umpire

All Time Legend
vic_orthdox said:
Too right. Exchange rates are out of control these days.

:dry:
Um, isn't that how the world economy works?

Also you shouldn't ***** about a game unless you really have a good reason. And it costs to much is not a good reason.

barmyarmy

U19 Captain
I've paid more than that for cricket games and regretted it... c2k4, c2k5...
To be honest, if Cricket Coach is as good as it sounds then I've got no problem with paying £25.

vic_orthdox

Global Moderator
Paid The Umpire said:
Um, isn't that how the world economy works?

Also you shouldn't ***** about a game unless you really have a good reason. And it costs to much is not a good reason.
Homer: "Oh, by the way, I was being sarcastic".

PTU: "Well, durr!"

cricketboy29

International Regular
I'll pay the 25 pounds on one condition :p, do you in the indian domestic league have a team for orissa?. Please please tell me you do?

James

Cricket Web Owner
Where I think a lot of people are coming from re the price is a fully commerical game like BLIC and Cricket 2005 sold for 29.99 pounds initially and within that price Codemasters have to cover the cost of tens of developers, testers, analysts, rent, power etc while Cricket Coach has two developers and as far as I know no real costs to cover so whatever they make is profit.

Good on them for the price I say, if lots of people buy it fantastic, but personally I don't believe a game like this is warranted at 25 pounds when you compare the price to other games on the market. ICC 2005 is selling in gaming shops here in New Zealand for NZ$29.95, that's roughly 10 pounds. Like most games after a few months of release it might go down to 15-20 pounds.

cric_manic

First Class Debutant
James said:
Where I think a lot of people are coming from re the price is a fully commerical game like BLIC and Cricket 2005 sold for 29.99 pounds initially and within that price Codemasters have to cover the cost of tens of developers, testers, analysts, rent, power etc while Cricket Coach has two developers and as far as I know no real costs to cover so whatever they make is profit.

Good on them for the price I say, if lots of people buy it fantastic, but personally I don't believe a game like this is warranted at 25 pounds when you compare the price to other games on the market. ICC 2005 is selling in gaming shops here in New Zealand for NZ$29.95, that's roughly 10 pounds. Like most games after a few months of release it might go down to 15-20 pounds.
Wow,i paid $60 for my copy

Neil Pickup

Cricket Web Moderator
James said:

Something like that shouldn't have any impact on a rational consumer's decision to buy a game - they should spend based on the utility they're expecting to gain out of that compared to the utility they could have otherwise got from the £25.

It's entirely illogical otherwise!

Retox

State Vice-Captain
I will say what I said in the other thread. You think it will cost to much for what it is? Don't buy it. Some people think it is worth so they will buy it.

End.