• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

First-Class Bowling Advice Please

Burpey

Cricketer Of The Year
My batting and bowling in one dayers is fine, as is my batting in first-class matches.

However, I really struggle with bowling in first-class matches. What are some strategies that I could employ?

Mister Wright

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
I generally start with guys on about 5 bars and adjust as partnerships develop. I generally go aggressive when a new batsman comes in or the new ball is taken or at the start of the day, sometimes at the start of the 2nd or 3rd sessions. I go full aggressive if the opposition lose quick wickets or am only defending 130.

surgeklick

Cricket Spectator
I've found bowlers very rarely take wickets when they are tired, only bowl fast bowlers in spells of 6 or 7 overs. Often they will get a wicket with their first over as well, so don't be scared to change things around.

I only ever keep aggression on the normal setting, or one click either way depending on the situation. I occasionally shake things up if a batsman is going well (bowling against his strengths in line or length) but only for a few overs at a time.

Try telling your groundsman to produce a good seaming wicket as well, otherwise you'll draw too many games.

A decent spinner is very useful because they can bowl long spells, take wickets plus not conceed many runs from one end.

Kweek

Cricketer Of The Year
ive seen bowlers take wickets then they are on the last of there powers really. quiet handy :)

IsuraE

School Boy/Girl Captain
- Bowl fast bowlers in short spells (6 overs max usually)
- I only use aggressive (1 less than max) in the first 10 overs with the new ball, then bring down the aggression.
- Most county bowlers will take their wickets against new batsmen on 4 bars, and usually on 3 bars against settled batsmen.
- if a bowler is doing well, rest him a bit and have him ready to take on the tail. This works really well, and an inform bowler will often from like 3-20 to 6-25 if you bring him on at the end.
- Choose your bowlers according to conditions. It's always helpful to have 1-2 spinners on the side.
- don't bowl overaggressive against the middle order after they get a little settled. They will lose their wicket more so by attacking themselves. More aggressive settings work against the bad batsmen
- good bowlers will take wickets on higher aggression, weaker bowlers do better with less aggressive settings.

Hope that helps a bit.