• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

A Worcestershire Tale

Lyell_Chris

U19 12th Man
Welcome to my worcestershire story

My first move as coach was sign Terry Beresford on a 3 year contract. He is an 18 year old batsmen. In our first match we were beaten by Derbyshire by 6 wickets after a shocking first innings batting performance. Next up was a one-dayer against Northamptonshire which we lost by 10 runs after our run chase was too slow.
We won our first match against Durham(see attachment) by 8 wickets after batting first then making them follow on. Solanki and my spinners Batty and Price have been my best players so far. hopefully vaas can get into some form as our pace department is lacking fire.

Next up we have Lancashire

more soon

Attachments

Last edited:

Lyell_Chris

U19 12th Man
I want to promote in the Championship and not get relagated in the one-dayers. I think we will get relagated in the one-dayers though

Lyell_Chris

U19 12th Man
We won our next 4 day game against Lancashire
Again we batted first and then made them follow on. Batty and Solanki were again standouts and young Beresford scored a nice 61 on debut. Vaas found form but with the bat scoring 49 not out. Our fast bowlers are a worry at the moment.

Attachments

Lyell_Chris

U19 12th Man
Next we lost a one dayer to middlesex by 8 wickets, I think we will be relagated. We won our first one dayer by beating scotland in the challenge trophy first round. Next we played Derbyshire in a 4 day game. We won by 8 wickets with Solanki getting his thrid hundred this season. Batty bowled very well.

Attachments

Lyell_Chris

U19 12th Man
Next up nottinghamshire beat us in a one-dayer. Then surrey smashed us out of the challenge trophy by 9 wickets. We are going well in the 4 day game and drew with essex on a batter friendly pitch. Solanki scored another hundred and Bersford got his first century in the first innings and then got another one in the secong innings.

Attachments

Lyell_Chris

U19 12th Man
we were hammered by Glamorgan and Middlesex in one dayers. we are shocking in one-dayers.
next up a 4 dayer vs durham

Last edited:

scritty

School Boy/Girl Cricketer
So far mirroring Worcestershire's 2005 season quite well.

Demoted in the OD form, and solidly in the 2nd Division in the first class.

Bowling is a real issue, and indeed Batty and Price are invaluable. Unfortunately Batty, Solanki and Ali spent a large amount of time as "place holders" in the England set up. Perrenially named in the squad, but rarely playing. Worcester had three of their best carrying drinks out for England in match after match. :dry:

Vaas was a HUGE success :D
Akhtar a HUGE failure :blink:

Went to 4 matches he played in - his attitude is by far the worst I've ever seen in professional cricket - hands in pockets, sometimes not even looking at the game as the ball was bowled. running in off 2 paces, walking away from the captain -the guy was a bloody nightmare. :-O

Got riled before a OD game against Gloucestershire, told he was dropped, drove away, got called back (obliged to be at the ground for the game whether playing or not) told at the last minute he was playing- then bollocked for parking in the Chairmans parking space. Was madder than hell, and took 6 for 16 - so the guy can certainly do it. :huh:

Chris Gayle was a wonderful presence on the pitch - the whole team seemed to enjoy him being there. Vaas the same. :cool:

Mason bowled well (again) but Worcs definately need one or two consistent pace men to back him and Ali up

Stephen Moore will be touted for England next year, as will the new keeper (Davies?) Felt sorry for Pipey - had played well as Rhodes understudy for years, Rhodes finally retires, then this new guy comes along.

The the new guy is very good, got a ton in his first or second game, and looks a genuine world class batsman and a good keeper (better than Geraint, but then so's my mum) :dry:

Hick had a poor 2005 (very poor by his extraordinary standards) but has already stated that he will consider an extension to his contract - I have no doubt he will be offered one..probably to take him through to a testimonial (already had a benefit) 150 first class hundreds is on the cards. He may not be the first to do it - but i believe he will be the last - ever - anywhere in the world to do it. 8-)

Next year Bracken and Jaques seem good signings. The batting now looks very strong, we could still do with a genuine quick home grown seamer to finish the set though. :D

Clarker

sammy22

U19 12th Man
Keep Hick and he will become very good. I signed him for lancashire in my 2nd season and he enjoyed 2 very good years averaging 60+ both 1 day and 4 day. He also earnt a recall to the england team at the age of about 40, which I wasn't very pleased about :-O

Lyell_Chris

U19 12th Man
I might restart this story

Davies is very good on my game and Ali is wicked at cleaning up the tail, sometimes i get batsmen to bowl a full 10 overs in one dayers

scritty

School Boy/Girl Cricketer
Lyell_Chris said:
I might restart this story

Davies is very good on my game and Ali is wicked at cleaning up the tail, sometimes i get batsmen to bowl a full 10 overs in one dayers
I do this sometimes. Got a couple of Medium pace guys (batsmen) in the middle of an inning, esspecially if it's cloudy, i'll give them a bowl - often take 2 or 3 wickets. Sometimes get carted.

Good way to find out who your "likely lads" really are....When the tour match comes up, pick no bowlers, auto play the game , and see who the CPU picks to bowl. These will most likely be the best "occaisional" bowlers.

Clarker