• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Statagies for 1 day and 20 20 games

sammy22

U19 12th Man
I felt I had to write after what has happened to me on my Lancashire game, which has even turned me to drink. I have won every county championship game i;ve played, most by an innings + runs and have often scored 600+ and bowled the opponents out for under 100.

However In the 45 and 50 overs cricket I have had some trouble, winning about half my games and losing the others. What techniques have people used with regard to batting and bowling aggression levels? Despite this I think I can turn things round

HOWEVER in 20/20 cricket it has been a complete disaster. I have lost 7 and won only 1 game. I;ve tried setting targets and chasing them, yet the outcome is always the same. When batting i;ve generally had to go for it, and played with almost maximum aggression on batting, but despite never being bowled out i always end up on something like 140/4. I;ve strategically selected my side so that my most aggressive players, best players and best 1 day players bat high up the order, and paid close attention to who scores runs quickly yet nothing works.

When bowling i've used 2 different gameplans. One is to set the bowling defensive levels to as low as possible and try and play defensively so that the batsmen get themsevles out as runs become hard to come by. This worked at first, and occasionly does now, but never in 20/20 cricket. The other strategy is to have it on the default 3 bar aggression for bowlers. Again this can on occasions work in 45 overs and is excellent in county championship yet in 20/20 it does nothing I just lose.

I wouldn;t mind but my players are far surperior to the oppisition I know about cricket and stratagies to use in limited overs cricket but nothing has worked for me. In particular when chasing runs in 20/20 Once a batsmen gets out and a new batsmen comes in I don;t know what setting to put aggression on. I;ve tried putting it on about 4 and easing it up gradually but they are always out and play and miss about 3 times an over. Obviously I could set it to less, but normally by this stage i am chasing a run rate of abomut 9 an over and so have no choice but to be reasonably attacking.

Even then I Am not gung ho about it, and play to stay in so the run rate may increase to 11 or 12 an over. In real life this would work, because once settled at least the batsmen could have a go towards the final overs. However the run rate just keeps getting higher, and then without even increasing the aggressive settings someone gets out.

Can anyone help, i'm really annoyed now, and have decided to stop playing for tonight and get drunk instead.

8-) :@ :-O :sleep: :dry: :happy:

darko21

U19 Debutant
Darko's cricket techniques finally revealed (sorry, ripping off a bad tv series)

20/20
Batting
- Have an aggressive team, no defensive players whatsoever.
- Open with either the regular one day openers for you or if you have an allrounder eg. I had Kallis and Watson and used them as openers with Kallis scoring 40 odd every 20/20 match.
- Start on aggression 6 for 4-5 overs then if no wickets fall, increase to 7. If a wicket does fall, put the new batsman on 4-5-6 aggression (depending on how confident you are with the new batsman)
- At 10 overs at least one of the batsmen should be on 8 aggression.
- Play the rest of the innings by ear. Look at the record of the bowlers and decide whether you should be on all out aggression or slacken off a bit and wait for the average bowlers.

That is my main batting technique in 20/20s. It does vary on opposition and conditions.

Bowling
- Put the aggression for your opening bowler on 3 and the other on 2, without changing field settings.
- After each bowler has bowled an over, the 3 aggression bowler change line and length to combat their strengths eg. bowl legside for an offside batsman etc.
- The 2 aggression bowler - bowl around the wicket without changing line or length.
- Bowl these bowlers for 3 overs each then double swap. Bowl those 2 new bowlers with the same strategy as above and then decide whether to swap one and bowl the other bowler's allotted overs OR switch both and play around.
- Once again play by ear. But change fielding positions if you wish at any stage.

That's the only advice for 20/20s I have. I have one 2 years in a row, dropping only a couple of games. But up to the user. You would have a different team and different oppositions so the results may vary.

One day matches - use a similar formula if you wish but you do have more time to play around with.

sammy22

U19 12th Man
Thanks Donnie, i'm just glad to get some advice on it. Although I was losing games narrowly in fact more often than not it went down to the last over I always ended up defeated. As you can imagine being Lancashire I have probably the best 1 day side in england so was getting frustrated.

What didn;t help is that probably my best 2 1 day players cork and flintoff missed all but 1 of the games away on international duty but I had quality players to come in who just failed.

Thanks mate.