• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

How do you use length

Pea Roller

Cricket Spectator
The length that bowlers bowl is obviously an important part of cricket and well to be included to some degree in the game.
But I read the manual and it gives no indication of how to use it effectively. I mean I would naturally put Steve Harmison to bowling short of a length and maybe swing bowlers to pitch it up, allowing the ball to swing.
Doesn't seem to make much difference. Am I missing something???
Not to mention specific to the pitch/weather/part of game.

So any hints would be helpful.

Cheers in advance

Eclipse

International Debutant
It make a big diference..

Look at what the batsman's strength is ie front foot so you bowl short and vica vera... same with line..

sometimes it can help to bowl at the batsman's strength early for maybe an over or so but you will notice quickly how well a batsman goes if yuou bowl to his sterngth when set...

FaaipDeOiad

Hall of Fame Member
While we are on the subject of the game's finer points, what exactly does that little chain link icon on the main screen do for a batsman? I've never noticed it making much of a difference.

Graham

3rd Umpire
FaaipDeOiad said:
While we are on the subject of the game's finer points, what exactly does that little chain link icon on the main screen do for a batsman? I've never noticed it making much of a difference.
Locks the aggression level at what you set.

kof98

U19 12th Man
FaaipDeOiad said:
When the chain is closed the aggression levels will stay at the level you set it to, until you change it again or the batsman is out.

When the chain is open then at the end of the over the aggresion meter goes back to the level from the previous bowler. So all it does is save you the trouble of changing the aggression meter all the time.

Fevs

Cricket Spectator
I tend to use it for spinners, to make the batsman drive the ball, therefore not needing deep fielders behind the bat, except maybe deep backward squareleg for the sweep. Seems reasonably effective, at least i don't get cut through backward point too often.

Tom Halsey

International Coach
Eclipse said:
It make a big diference..

Look at what the batsman's strength is ie front foot so you bowl short and vica vera... same with line..

sometimes it can help to bowl at the batsman's strength early for maybe an over or so but you will notice quickly how well a batsman goes if yuou bowl to his sterngth when set...
Ofcourse it makes a difference there, but I mean it makes no difference WRT making it swing more, etc.

cpr

International Coach
King_Ponting said:
haha when i first saw the thread i thought it was something much more vile
Yep, me too

And whilst were vaguely round the point.... on the little crease pic for each ball delivered, theres a grey circle and a red circle....

What in gods name are they!.... I've figured one (red iirc) is where the ball pitched (though if your bowling to a left hander its at the equivalent pitching point a right hander would be facing)

Whats the grey one though, i reckon its either where the batsman thought it was pitching, or where the bowler was aiming for

any ideas?

FaaipDeOiad

Hall of Fame Member
Another question. What exactly do the two forms of coaching do? I know that physio improves their fitness heading into the next game, but what about the bowling/batting technique/practice difference? Under what circumstances would you use each one?

Fevs

Cricket Spectator
cpr said:
Yep, me too

And whilst were vaguely round the point.... on the little crease pic for each ball delivered, theres a grey circle and a red circle....

What in gods name are they!.... I've figured one (red iirc) is where the ball pitched (though if your bowling to a left hander its at the equivalent pitching point a right hander would be facing)

Whats the grey one though, i reckon its either where the batsman thought it was pitching, or where the bowler was aiming for

any ideas?
I think the red is where the bowler is aiming and grey where it pitched....if you watch highlights it tends to prove this. Happy to be proved wrong though

Tom Halsey

International Coach
Agree with Fevs. If you use an expensive bowler, they quite often miss where they are aiming - an economical bowler usually hits it.

scritty

School Boy/Girl Cricketer
So..

Chain Link - Locks a batsmans aggression against the particulat bowler. 2 problems. It is locked by default (WOuld make more sense to be if it were unlocked by default).

More tellingly...it doesn't really work. It locks you aggression against ANY bowler from that end. Would be better if it did what you THINK it means, and actually locked aggression against specific bowlers by name.

Ends up being too much like hard work except for perhaps the last few overs of a very tense game or something.

Bowling marks - Simple. One for aim - one for actual (grey / red)

Batter tick - Keep strike. ARRGGHHHH a right poop. Dunno if it's just me, but as soon as I tick this I lose a wicket. You. Flintoff try and keep strike when batting with Hoggard say.

In theory will try and get to the other end on 5th and 6th ball of an over :)

In practice often get out 1 ball after I press the tick :mellow:

Also...what happened to "keeper openers" Try telling Stewart (and Gilchrist and Jones, and Adams and occaisionally Crawley or Rhodes or Pryor or......... they certainly exist in real life, where are they in the game some more opener than keeper, some more keeper than opener - others genuinely both)

..Oh or Trescothick, Parore, Sohail, Read, blah blah blah

Clarker

Last edited:

Pea Roller

Cricket Spectator
Thanks for the replies. Never does any harm to put a bit of innuendo into the topic title, draws in the punters :D

I'll have a go at the length thing. The chainlink thing I rarely use though if a really good spinner comes on it's a good idea to go defensive when keeping on normal for seamers. It's a useful feature some of the time not all.

But basically the instructions are crap.

Oh btw won a ODI by having more wickets left. If only.....

scritty

School Boy/Girl Cricketer
Yeah.

In general though the rules are pretty good.

I think the reason we stick with ICC is because it has the "look and feel" of cricket about right. Some of the finer points are missing, be we forgive it.

(Or at least I do)

Clarker

cpr

International Coach
Hmm, pretty sure its red not grey that is where the ball actually pitches (watching anderson half a mile wide or harmison bounces before he's released it balls to confirm this- hey, something accurate in ICC!!!)

Grey must be intended i suppose (dont think it'll be swing, as i've seen the red pitched dot being further up the pitch and to the right of the grey, the ball definatly didnt jag back towards the batsmans head!!)

Odd though, never seen the little dots explained in any of the manuals (going back to original ICC2)

chooka_nick

International 12th Man
scritty said:
So..

Chain Link - Locks a batsmans aggression against the particulat bowler. 2 problems. It is locked by default (WOuld make more sense to be if it were unlocked by default).

More tellingly...it doesn't really work. It locks you aggression against ANY bowler from that end. Would be better if it did what you THINK it means, and actually locked aggression against specific bowlers by name.

Ends up being too much like hard work except for perhaps the last few overs of a very tense game or something.

Bowling marks - Simple. One for aim - one for actual (grey / red)

Batter tick - Keep strike. ARRGGHHHH a right poop. Dunno if it's just me, but as soon as I tick this I lose a wicket. You. Flintoff try and keep strike when batting with Hoggard say.

In theory will try and get to the other end on 5th and 6th ball of an over :)

In practice often get out 1 ball after I press the tick :mellow:
Well, I worked this all out the first time I ever played the game, and after trying to explain it to all my mates for years I have to say that this is best explaination of all time. Spot on.