• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

NZ under GrahamB (ICC 2005)

Graham

3rd Umpire
thewizard1o1 said:
Papps :blink: the guy has top scored in each match...oh well get him to fire Horne up a bit before he goes out to bat...:)
Yeah. Big call to leave out Papps, but he's been a bit slow despite scoring well. Also I want to see if Horne can bring his test form into the ODI arena.

Graham

3rd Umpire
Hmmm - this is a bit embarrassing to post, but I've never been one to cheat, so here goes! :oops:

NZ were totally outclassed by SA in the ODIs

Graham

3rd Umpire
With the disastrous tour to SA thankfully behind us, we head into the home international season.

First to visit are Zimbabwe and there were big changes to our 1st Test lineup following the SA tour.

The Zimbabwe lineup:

M.Vermeulen
S.Carlisle
G.Ewing
M.Goodwin
A.Maungwa
T.Gripper
N.Ferreira (wk)
H.Streak
D.Hondo
E.Rainsford
M.Mbangwa

Last edited:

Somerset

Cricketer Of The Year
A real thrashing from South Africa, especially in that last ODI! Lol!

Good luck for the home season mate.

Blaze

Banned
Graham - you should play the strongest XI NZ has against ZIM and see how much you can thrash them by.

Somerset

Cricketer Of The Year
Blaze said:
Graham - you should play the strongest XI NZ has against ZIM and see how much you can thrash them by.
I tend to agree - although you've left Vettori out because Martin's stats are superior, I'd definitely have Vettori in the side. I'd also have Bond, Oram, Astle, etc. for that first ODI match but up to you I guess.

Graham

3rd Umpire
Somerset said:
I tend to agree - although you've left Vettori out because Martin's stats are superior, I'd definitely have Vettori in the side. I'd also have Bond, Oram, Astle, etc. for that first ODI match but up to you I guess.
How many of you have looked at the NZ players stats in ICC2005?

My experience with the ICC series says that you're best to trust the game stats rather than go with players just because they're test players in real life.

I'd also be interested to see how others have fared with NZ (honest replies only without any cheating involved!) :p

Somerset

Cricketer Of The Year
Graham said:
How many of you have looked at the NZ players stats in ICC2005?

My experience with the ICC series says that you're best to trust the game stats rather than go with players just because they're test players in real life.

I'd also be interested to see how others have fared with NZ (honest replies only without any cheating involved!) :p
I played the Zimbabwe test and ODI series and played a similar side to New Zealand's current real life side - Oram was easily the best with three tons while Tuffey and Bond led the bowling attack with particular success.

Blaze

Banned
Graham said:

I thrashed Zimbabwe picking players from the same squad in real life. In ICC all players are given a batting and bowling ability stat so you shouldn't just pick on their past records..

Graham

3rd Umpire
Blaze said:
I thrashed Zimbabwe picking players from the same squad in real life. In ICC all players are given a batting and bowling ability stat so you shouldn't just pick on their past records..
If the players have been given an ability stat, is that new to ICC2005? Haven't noticed it with any previous ICC games.

I'm pleased to hear you're both having more success with NZ than I am. Hopefully some of that success will come for me soon! :p

How did you both fare in South Africa? 8-)

Somerset

Cricketer Of The Year
Graham said:
The trial ended so unfortunately I didn't get the chance to face them - I'll be ordering the game from sporting-gifts soon though to have another go.

Blaze

Banned
Graham said:
If the players have been given an ability stat, is that new to ICC2005? Haven't noticed it with any previous ICC games.

I'm pleased to hear you're both having more success with NZ than I am. Hopefully some of that success will come for me soon! :p

No it was def in 2002 cause KentLand made an updated database for it which is much more accurate than ICC2005 actually.

No offence mate but you are going to get slaughted with the line up you currently have. Players averages at the start of the game have little relevance to how they will go in the game because each and every player has ability stats AFAIK

Blaze

Banned
Somerset said:
The trial ended so unfortunately I didn't get the chance to face them - I'll be ordering the game from sporting-gifts soon though to have another go.

Same.. I won't be buying it though.

Graham

3rd Umpire
Blaze said:
No it was def in 2002 cause KentLand made an updated database for it which is much more accurate than ICC2005 actually.

No offence mate but you are going to get slaughted with the line up you currently have. Players averages at the start of the game have little relevance to how they will go in the game because each and every player has ability stats AFAIK
No offence taken. This is just a bit of fun! :cool:

I've never seen any mention anywhere of any hidden ability stat, but you could well be right. Otherwise how would Zimbabwean players like A.Maungwa overcome a fist class average in single figures to perform so well in the game.

Tell you what I do though. I take notice of the current season stats and last season stats in combination with career stats, especially after the first two seasons! Everything irons itself out in the end! :)

Blaze

Banned
Graham said:
No offence taken. This is just a bit of fun! :cool:

Tell you what I do though. I take notice of the current season stats and last season stats in combination with career stats, especially after the first two seasons! Everything irons itself out in the end! :)
Yeah that's what the game is all about after all..fun.

I take notice of current season stats as well. They are usually good indicators and I might throw someone in the side if they are in good form

_Ed_

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Graham said:
Not so good, I was 290/6 chasing 480 in the first test against Zimbabwe, when I decided I should wait for the database patch. Stopping the game had NOTHING to do with the situation of that test match...:laugh:

Doing a bit better with England at the moment though.

Graham

3rd Umpire
_Ed_ said:
Not so good, I was 290/6 chasing 480 in the first test against Zimbabwe, when I decided I should wait for the database patch. Stopping the game had NOTHING to do with the situation of that test match...:laugh:

Doing a bit better with England at the moment though.
Now that's an honest reply! :D Not suggesting that others aren't by the way! 8-)

Good to hear from you Ed. Just as a matter of interest, can you remember who you had in your test side?

Last edited:

_Ed_

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Yeah my team was Papps, Richardson, Fleming, H.Marshall, Astle, Oram, McCullum, Vettori, Franklin, Bond, Tuffey.

It was those two guys with FC averages below 10 that killed me. Their averages weren't below 10 after their innings...