• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

[ICC 2000 Story] Yorkshire in the Super Cup

chooka_nick

International 12th Man
Okay all, it's officially my first ever online story. I'm doing this because I'm bored, and also to chew away at the time until ICC 2005. This story is created using the following:
  • ICC 2000
  • KentLad's Photo Update
  • Kentlad's ICC Database Update
  • On Hard mode
So please, sit back and enjoy. I can't promise I'll be any great shakes at this, but I can try.
Here we go.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Yorkshire in the Super Cup, 2005
Yorkshire’s venerable outfit is looking forward to a strong 2005, with a squad of players who, despite having little success the year before, are nothing but optimistic about their chances this year. Michael Vaughan has a better team than this writer thinks he realises; Matthew Wood and Phil Jaques of Australia are world-class batsmen, and the bowling attack (of whose three strikers are Matthew Hoggard, Chris Silverwood and Deon Kruis) lacks nothing in pace, ability, or, with the addition of Richard Dawson, guile. With the all-round ability of Ian Harvey and the ever-young Craig White there is a base of a decent side being built. But why have Yorkshire struggled of late?
Richard Blakely, one of the most consistent keepers in the land, is getting old. John Blain and David Lucas, two of the emergency bowlers when Hoggard and Silverwood are on international duty, have not been playing well enough to warrant their place in the squad for much longer. Michael Lumb can play some spectacular cricket, but has so far struggled too much in the limited-overs games to really be considered a threat.
However, they should at least make the second round of the Super Cup. Derbyshire, Leicestershire and Lancashire were all eliminated by the first round last year, and none look like doing any better this year. It will be Nottinghamshire and Durham, who each have employed the help of one of the Hussey brothers, who will be the toughest opposition for the Phoenix.​

chooka_nick

International 12th Man
Thanks for that, Kweek and Monty :happy: . I started playing though the first match just before I wrote this intro, and I've already finished the report and intro :S lol.
Alrighty, here it is...
------------------------------------------------------
Game One: Durham Vs Yorkshire (played at the Riverside Ground)
CricInfo Preview

Ashley Noffke. Gavin Hamilton. Stephen Harmison. Not a bad bowling attack. And certainly not one you want firing at you in your first game of the season, when your feet aren’t quite moving into line and when that bench next to the heater looks so cosy.
By far the most interesting thing about the teams of the match is of which allrounder Durham will play for this match. They have four options:
Gary Scott, the young and yet untried offspinner;
Dale Benkenstein, who averages 40 with the bat in first-class matches and 30 in the shorter game;
Gareth Breese, who is more a bowling allrounder (184 first class wickets @ 25.80) but who can also score some handy runs (2438 runs @ 28.35 in first class) and finally;
the experienced Gavin Hamilton, one of the better bowling allrounders in the English game.
Meanwhile, Yorkshire have an interesting team for this game, playing just three bowlers (Hoggard, Silverwood and Dawson) to go with the all-round talents of Ian Harvey and Craig White. This would have been influenced by the fact that Deon Kruis is out for two weeks with a broken finger and that the other quicks are quite inexperienced. It also allows them to have a very long batting order, with 6-8 being Matthew Wood, Craig White and Richard Blakely.
To wrap up this preview, here’s something to watch: Mike Hussey of Durham versus Phil Jaques of Australia. Both are classy, left-handed batsmen, both are in the Australian selector’s minds for selections for the Indian tour later this year and both are the cornerstones of their team’s batting. Who outscores the other will be of great interest to Trevor Hohns.​
Right, so that's the intro over with. Next up is the actual game, and let me tell you now: Yorkshire are crap. :sleep: If anyone calls me biased I will eat their heads.
Game One: Durham Vs Yorkshire
Durham, a team whose batting lineup included Michael Hussey, Paul Collingwood and Nathan Astle (who was out injured), have been brushed aside by a rampant Yorkshire bowling attack. After a horrendous start for Durham which saw Hussey edge the feisty Matthew Hoggard behind in just the third over of the game, the Durham batsmen were made to fight hard for their runs all innings. Jonathan Lewis (29 from 50, 5 fours) and Paul Collingwood (34 from 49, 5 fours) top scored, and although Nicky Peng (16), Andrew Pratt (19), Neil Killeen (13) and Liam Plunkett (12) made double figures Durham could only last 44.4 overs as their team faltered in front of Richard Dawson (3/24 from 10) and Craig White (7.4 overs, 4/15).
In another twist, Yorkshire struggled early as captain Michael Vaughan (4 from 23) and pinch-hitter Ian Harvey (6 from 7) fell with the score on just 11. However, the impressive Phil Jaques (63 from 70, 11 fours) and Michael Lumb (54 from 57, 6 fours) put on a mammoth 109-run partnership for the second wicket. But when Gareth Breese lulled Jaques into driving to Hussey, Anthony Mcgrath (8 from 25) fell to Killeen, who then cleaned up Lumb within the space of 20 runs, leaving the Phoenix stunned at 5/140. However, Matthew Wood (3 from 12) and White (5 from 4) guided Yorkshire home with plenty of time remaining. The shining lights for Durham were Ashley Noffke (2/21 from 6.3) and Killeen (2/18 from 4).​

Scorecard:
Code:
Durham v Yorkshire
Super Cup - group match - 15 Apr 2000

Durham - 1st Innings
----------------------------------------------
M Hussey        c Blakey b Hoggard        1
J Lewis         b Harvey                  29
P Collingwood   lbw b Dawson              34
D Benkenstein   lbw b Dawson              3
N Peng          c Harvey b White          16
G Breese        st Blakey b Dawson        2
A Pratt         b White                   19
A Noffke        lbw b White               0
N Killeen       b Hoggard                 13
L Plunkett      c Wood b White            12
S Harmison      not out                   5
Extras (nb1,w5,b6)                        12
TOTAL (all out, 44.4 overs)               146

O       M       R       W
C White         0.0     1       15      4
R Dawson        10      2       24      3
I Harvey        7       0       32      1
C Silverwood    10      0       40      0
M Hoggard       10      2       29      2
1-2  2-61  3-69  4-82  5-89  
  7-103  8-119  9-139  10-146

Yorkshire - 1st Innings
M Vaughan       b Noffke                  4
I Harvey        c Hussey b Noffke         6
P Jaques        c Hussey b Breese         63
M Lumb          b Killeen                 54
A McGrath       c Pratt b Killeen         8
M Wood          not out                   3
C White         not out                   5
R Blakey        
C Silverwood    
R Dawson        
M Hoggard       
Extras (nb1,w2,b1)                        4
TOTAL (5 wkts, 32.3 overs)                147

N Killeen       4       0       18      2
L Plunkett      3       0       8       0
D Benkenstein   5       0       33      0
G Breese        7       1       36      1
A Noffke        0.0     1       21      2
S Harmison      7       1       30      0
1-8  2-11  3-120  4-139  5-140  

Yorkshire won by 5 wickets
Man of the match: C White

chooka_nick

International 12th Man
Match Two, Lancashire Vs Yorkshire

Jamee999 said:
Ah, dammit, this is just how ICC 2000 sometimes spits out data reports :huh:
Thanks for that Kweek, but for this next won I was hoping I might win a bit more easily... ;)
Game Two: Lancashire Vs Yorkshire
Losing a toss can hurt badly enough, but for Michael Vaughan losing a toss on a wicket that will suit both pace and spin as the match continues and facing the likes of Andy Flintoff and Muttiah Muralitharan batting second… well, we all know how much that would have hurt.
Lancashire’s opening batsmen Malachy Loye (28 from 41, 5 fours) and Iain Sutcliffe (39 from 41, 5 fours) really took the fight to the pace duo of Matthew Hoggard (0/37 from 9 after he returned) and Chris Silverwood (0/28 from 5), in a feisty 54-run partnership which came from only 12 overs. However, Ian Harvey’s fifth ball nipped back and took out Sutcliffe’s off stump, and after that it was all Dawson.
Blonde hair blowing as he bowled into the breeze, Richard Dawson, the 22 year-old offie, decimated the Lancs middle order as he took 5/24 from his 10 overs, with an amazing 4 maidens. Loye nicked behind, Stuart Law top edged back to the bowler and Brad Hodge’s mammoth leg-side swing could only find the edge of his bat and Blakey again. Mark Chilton (0 from 2) and Glen Chapple (1 from 4) were also deceived as Dawson suddenly surged on for England selection.
With Craig White (1/32) and Harvey (2/31) proving hard to hit off the square, Vaughan decided not to risk another Chris Silverwood schlacking and instead brought on himself, only to take the final two wickets of the innings with consecutive balls.
However, he wouldn’t have been too impressed with his batting performance, edging Sajid Mahmood (4/42) behind for 5 (16 balls). Phil Jaques (4 from 3) and Michael Lumb (3 from 12) again fell cheaply, and Yorkshire (for the second match in succession) were caught sleeping at 3/31. Matthew Wood played the anchor role brilliantly until he ran himself out (30 from 77, Yorkshire 4/65), and Anthony Mcgrath played with grim determination to play a similar role after Wood had departed (19 from 41, with only one four). But it was ex-Australian allrounder Ian Harvey who saved the game for the Phoenix, with a tight 70 played with a straight bat when Mahmood or Flintoff were bowling and showing his attacking flair when the rest of the attack were employed. Harvey’s innings came from 96 balls, included 10 fours and contained the winning runs. For the Lancashire bowlers, Glen Chapple showed his brio with a tight spell of fast bowling (0/24), but it was Mahmood who was the key component of the attack, capturing 4/42 and being the key strike force.
Dawson may have been man of the match, but this was a game of three heroes: Mahmood, Harvey and Dawson.

And the scorecard read:​
Code:
Yorkshire v Lancashire
Super Cup - group match - 16 Apr 2000

Lancashire - 1st Innings
M Loye          c Blakey b Dawson         28
I Sutcliffe     c Dawson b Harvey         39
A Flintoff      b White                   18
S Law           c & b Dawson              0
B Hodge         c Blakey b Dawson         6
M Chilton       c Blakey b Dawson         0
W Hegg          b Harvey                  18
G Chapple       c Hoggard b Dawson        1
S Mahmood       b Vaughan                 11
M M'itharan     not out                   18
J Anderson      c Blakey b Vaughan        0
Extras (nb2,w2,lb4)                       8
TOTAL (all out, 42.3 overs)               147

M Vaughan       0.0     0       0       2
C White         8       0       23      1
I Harvey        10      1       31      2
R Dawson        10      4       24      5
C Silverwood    5       0       28      0
M Hoggard       9       0       37      0
1-54  2-70  3-70  4-79  5-79  
  7-102  8-118  9-147  10-147

Yorkshire - 1st Innings
M Vaughan       c Hegg b Mahmood          5
M Wood          run out                   30
P Jaques        c Law b Mahmood           4
M Lumb          c Loye b Mahmood          3
I Harvey        not out                   70
A McGrath       b Mahmood                 19
C White         not out                   11
R Blakey        
C Silverwood    
R Dawson        
M Hoggard       
Extras (nb1,w5)                           6
TOTAL (5 wkts, 43 overs)                  148

M M'itharan     7       0       27      0
A Flintoff      8       0       34      0
J Anderson      8       1       21      0
S Mahmood       10      0       42      4
G Chapple       10      2       24      0
1-12  2-16  3-31  4-65  5-113  

Yorkshire won by 5 wickets
Man of the match: R Dawson

chooka_nick

International 12th Man
James90 said:
That's stunningly similar to the previous game
Yeah, I know. I'm monitoring Vaughan and Wood closely... I'm really not sure if they should be playing :wacko:
BTW, the next match is almost finished

chooka_nick

International 12th Man
Well, instead of giving you the straight-up report for the third match you can have this instead. What is this? This is a report of how the team's doing this year, done in a format unlike my previous match reports. Whilst writing this story I want to practice all types of cricket writing... hence the 'Verdict' title. I hope you all enjoy this, because I did this during the Simpsons whilst I was bored. :happy:
Verdict: Dug out of trouble, but digging a shallow grave
Yorkshire, sitting on top of their table as the only team to win both of their matches, don’t really deserve to be there. As much as the public are enjoying the team’s success (one paper went as far to describe this Yorks team as ‘the best team in thirty years’) it is evident that this new-found playing power may not last for much longer. In other words, the Yorkshire team may have won two matches on the trot by five wickets, but these matches have been much closer than many of the cricketing public seem to have noticed. In the first match against Durham the Phoenix only had two players make double figures. Luckily, they were Phil Jaques (63) and Matthew Lumb (54), who single-handedly won the game for the visitors. Captain Michael Vaughan (4), Ian Harvey (6) and Anthony Mcgrath (8) all failed, and the two players who guided them home, Matthew Wood (3*) and Craig White (5*), didn’t play much better. Of all, Jaques and Lumb put on 117 runs between them. With the innings run total standing at 147, you can see how easily the wicket of either batsman could have changed the game.
Likewise, in the second game Vaughan (5) failed again, followed by Jaques (4) and Lumb (3), the heroes from the game before. This time, however, Wood (30) and Mcgrath (19) played with meaning and determination as they set about with the brilliant Harvey (70*) to repair the damage. Even when Mcgrath fell at the needle-end of the innings Craig White didn’t let the pressure get to him, scoring a brisk 11 not-out to guide Vaughan’s men home again.
Do you understand how lucky Yorkshire are now? ‘Yes,’ I hear you say, ‘and we’re sure lucky that our bowlers have been so good!’
Unfortunately, you’re wrong again. Even though Yorkshire has bowled out both their oppositions out before the end of their innings, you may not have noticed how inconsistent the bowlers have been. Certainly, Richard Dawson has taken 8 wickets at 6.0 (including two great spells of 3/24 and 5/24), not to mention that Craig White (5 wickets @ 7.60, best 4/15) and Michael Vaughan (2 wickets for nought from 3 balls) have chipped in handily, but the three main strike bowlers haven’t really been at their best yet.
Ian Harvey won’t be dropped after his match-winning knock last week, but his bowling in the first week wasn’t really up to scratch (1/32 from 7). However, he has shown signs of improving, most noticeably his un-nerving 2/31 at the death last game. Meanwhile, Matthew Hoggard has been doing nothing more than charging in aimlessly and bowling in-swing. He started off with a brilliant spell, one of his best (2/29 from 10), but last week he really struggled for line, his 0/37 not only getting the team off to a bad start but also failing to capitalise on the conditions. He will be looking to improve as the season wears on. But by far the worst has been Chris Silverwood. So far his bowling has lacked aim or pace. His 15 overs so far have leaked 68 runs for no wickets. This is not good enough for a future England bowler. After being almost unplayable last year (he averaged in the 19s for both forms of the game) this will be especially disappointing for the supporters of the young fire-band. Deon Kruis, the South African quick, is out for another two weeks. Who can Vaughan bring in to steady the bowling stocks?
Which brings me to the close of this report. Harvey, Dawson, Lumb and Jaques: heroes of Yorkshire. But will these four eventually be squashed by too much pressure being placed upon them? And if they don’t perform, who will?​

chooka_nick

International 12th Man
Game Three: Leicestershire Vs Yorkshire
Explosive innings by Darren Maddy and Aftab Habib were not enough to save Leicestershire from a loss against group-leaders Yorkshire this morning. Leicestershire were well and truly sprinting towards their target of 306 whilst Maddy (64 from 71, 8 fours) and Habib (45 from 34, 8 fours) were at the crease, however as soon as Maddy was removed by Richard Dawson team-mate Ian Harvey took three wickets in four balls to well and truly thrust Leicestershire out of the game.
Earlier in the day it the ‘Michael Vaughan and Phil Jaques show’ had entered town, with each hitting spectacular centuries as the Phoenix raced past 300. Vaughan (110 from 105, 10 fours) showed why he captains England, celebrating his first toss win of the summer with not only a blistering hundred but also with some innovative field placings and bowler changes. Vaughan’s beautifully crafted innings came just in time for him, after his average scores in the first two games of this season (9 runs at 4.5). However, instead of sitting back and watching, Phil Jaques decided to give his captain a helping hand by brutally pounding 119 glorious runs from only 96 balls (14 fours, 2 sixes). Showing his exceptional strength, he creamed Jeremy Snape and Charl Willoughby for a six each. However, Snape did get his own back, bowling with craft and guile to take 2/43 from his 10 overs. Phillip DeFreitas admitted after the match that he had nothing to lose from bowling Snape for his allotted overs, as he really didn’t have anyone else. ‘(Darren) Maddy could have had a trundle, I suppose,’ he told me, ‘but he is a very uncomfortable bowler at the best of times, and I’m not sure how he would have gone in this sort of situation.’ When I asked him about his own bowling, he appeared indifferent. ‘Personally, I thought David Masters (0/60) out-bowled me, but I was just a bit luckier.’ Only a bit though, because DeFreitas took 3/50, hitting the right line all innings and varying his pace cleverly. It was his return for the final few overs that had the biggest impact, stopping the Yorkshire middle order (including big hitters Harvey and Craig White) from making more than 305.
The Leicestershire batsmen started their run-chase badly, with the first ball of the innings being nicked through slip by Maddy and the second one from Hoggard (3/44 in a welcome return to form) cleaning up John Sadler. Dinesh Mongia (16), DeFreitas (18) and the in-form Hylton Ackerman (24) made some useful runs, but they all faltered in front of the onslaught of Hoggard, Harvey and the brilliantly re-born Richard Dawson (3/27).

Code:
Yorkshire v Leicestershire
Super Cup - group match - 19 Apr 2000

Yorkshire - 1st Innings
M Vaughan       b DeFreitas               110
M Wood          lbw b DeFreitas           10
P Jaques        b Gibson                  119
M Lumb          b DeFreitas               2
I Harvey        c Mongia b Snape          20
A McGrath       not out                   16
C White         b Snape                   12
R Blakey        not out                   1
C Silverwood    
R Dawson        
M Hoggard       
Extras (nb5,w8,b2)                        15
TOTAL (6 wkts, 50 overs)                  305

O Gibson        10      0       79      1
C Willoughby    10      1       71      0
J Snape         10      1       43      2
P DeFreitas     10      0       50      3
D Masters       10      0       60      0
1-42  2-218  3-222  4-274  5-276  

Leicestershire - 1st Innings
D Maddy         b Dawson                  64
J Sadler        c Blakey b Hoggard        0
D Mongia        lbw b Hoggard             16
H Ackerman      b White                   24
A Habib         c Harvey b Dawson         45
P Nixon         b Harvey                  0
O Gibson        c White b Harvey          0
J Snape         lbw b Harvey              0
P DeFreitas     c Blakey b Hoggard        18
D Masters       not out                   5
C Willoughby    c Blakey b Dawson         6
Extras (nb2,w5,lb2)                       9
TOTAL (all out, 32.4 overs)               187

R Dawson        0.0     0       27      3
I Harvey        7       0       52      3
C White         5       0       33      1
C Silverwood    7       1       29      0
M Hoggard       9       0       44      3
1-1  2-29  3-78  4-137  5-139  
  7-139  8-169  9-180  10-187

Yorkshire won by 118 runs
Man of the match: P Jaques

chooka_nick

International 12th Man
Firstly, thanks for the kind comments Jabba and Somers! Sorry that I've been a little slack, but it's okay as we're looking like bombing out at any moent after this performance! Here's the latest match, I hope you enjoy the report (I know I didn't enjoy having to write it :sleep: )
Game Four: Derbyshire Vs Yorkshire
In one of the closest matches of the season so far Derbyshire knocked over the first-placed Yorkshire in a tight and compelling match of cricket. Winning the toss and batting first on a dry pitch Derbyshire’s openers Michael Di Venuto and Stephen Stubbings were determined to set their seasons straight (both had been averaging under 10) and laid solid foundations for both themselves and their team as the partnership clicked past 50. Stubbings (34 from 57, 4 fours) was the first to depart, yorked by Ian Harvey with the score on 95, but all this served to do was to unleash James Bryant on the Phoenix. Even when Di Venuto (78 from 113, 11 fours) fell in tandem with Christopher Bassano (5 from 7) Jonathon Moss (65 from 60) and Bryant (69 from 57) hit freely in a 105-run partnership for the fourth wicket. Meanwhile, Yorkshire were in deeper trouble than many people would have thought, as their bowlers were ruthlessly destroyed. David Lucas (0/55), playing in place of Chris Silverwood, was dispatched all over the ground, and Matthew Hoggard (1/47) struggled. Even mystical spinner Richard Dawson (1/53) was blasted off his line. But by far the biggest slap in the face for Yorkshire was how Derbyshire delt with their fifth bowler. Craig White (0/39) was repeatedly blasted through the off-side, so often so that Vaughan decided to gamble on Anthony Mcgrath (1/32) who, despite removing Bassano, couldn’t stop either Moss or Bryant.
Of Yorkshire’s 8 batsmen used only White didn’t make double figures, but the ones who did couldn’t get Yorkshire home. Vaughan (40 from 55) took a bit longer to get off the mark than he probably should have, and Matthew Wood (63 from 85) gave himself an extra over to play himself in, but by the time Michael Lumb (10 from 22) was out 3/151 Yorkshire was drifting behind. However, Ian Harvey (21 from 18), Anthony Mcgrath (32 from 28) and Richard Blakey (21* from 15) did their best to tonk away and support Phil Jaques, who again outdid himself with a 78-ball 87, including 8 priceless fours. With Kevin Dean (0/39) and Graeme Welch being used up early in the innings Derbyshire captain Di Venuto had to stick with Moss (0/67), Andrew Gray (2/68) and Mohamed Sheikh (3/69) at the death, as expensive as they were. Gray bowled the final over, and started with a dot ball. After scampering two from the second ball the third almost yielded Blakey being run out at the bowler’s end. Jaques recovered his stature and pounded a four, but from the penultimate delivery could only manage a single. Blakey, likewise, could only flick the final ball for one on the leg-side as Yorkshire found themselves getting close, but no cigar.

And the scorecard reads:
Code:
Derbyshire v Yorkshire
Super Cup - group match - 22 Apr 2000

Derbyshire - 1st Innings
M Di Venuto     c Harvey b Hoggard        78
S Stubbings     b Harvey                  34
J Bryant        st Blakey b Dawson        69
C Bassano       lbw b McGrath             5
J Moss          run out                   65
J Matthew       not out                   13
M Sheikh        not out                   8
L Sutton        
A Gray          
G Welch         
K Dean          
Extras (nb7,w5,b1,lb2)                    15
TOTAL (5 wkts, 50 overs)                  287

A McGrath       5       0       32      1
C White         5       0       39      0
R Dawson        10      1       53      1
I Harvey        10      0       58      1
D Lucas         10      1       55      0
M Hoggard       10      0       47      1
1-95  2-137  3-142  4-247  5-276  

Yorkshire - 1st Innings
M Vaughan       c Bryant b Gray           40
M Wood          c Sheikh b Welch          63
P Jaques        not out                   87
M Lumb          b Sheikh                  10
I Harvey        b Gray                    21
A McGrath       b Sheikh                  32
C White         lbw b Sheikh              4
R Blakey        not out                   21
D Lucas         
R Dawson        
M Hoggard       
Extras (nb1,w2,b2)                        5
TOTAL (6 wkts, 50 overs)                  283

M Sheikh        10      0       68      3
A Gray          10      0       68      2
J Moss          10      0       67      0
G Welch         10      2       39      1
K Dean          10      2       39      0
1-93  2-122  3-151  4-181  5-240

Derbyshire won by 4 runs
Man of the match: M Di Venuto
**********************************************​

chooka_nick

International 12th Man
Cheers again Dylan and Somers! Stand by tomorrow for the fifth match, the comp is hotting up and, to be honest, I'm not happy with losing one bit, certainly not to Derbys.
See you tomorrow!

chooka_nick

International 12th Man
DJellett said:
Ciao bud. Just as an afterthought, wanna play for Nunawading next season?
Oh, no thanks Dylan, thanks for the offer though :happy: I actually have a Vermont get-together tonight, and I have a lot of pride in my club, so leaving the Eagles isn't something I'm considering at the moment. I'm sure you understand (Y)

chooka_nick

International 12th Man
Alrighty, we've bounced back! This match was so much easier than I thought it would be, too... Enjoy!
Game Five: Nottinghamshire Vs Yorkshire
Yorkshire named an un-changed team from their last game, whilst Nottinghamshire brought in Darren Bicknell to boost their batting. Looking to regain their composure after losing against Derbyshire Michael Vaughan, the Yorkshire captain, had no hesitation on batting first on a greenish wicket. Slow and steady was the order of the day as Vaughan (28 from 46) and Matthew Wood (42 from 59, 8 fours) played out Gregory Smith (1/43 from 10) and Mark Ealham (0/45 from 10). Vaughan was the first to go, playing over a Paul McMahon (1/40 from 10, 3 maidens) off-break and Wood soon followed, his furniture being re-arranged by Ryan Sidebottom (2/66 from 10). When the second wicket fell at 84 Stephen Fleming and co thought they were in with a chance of holding down Yorkshire below 200, however they were thwarted by yet another Phil Jaques special and the watchful Michael Lumb.
Jaques and Lumb, fighting forward for dead-on 21 overs, pounded 119 runs for the third wicket. Jaques was truly unstoppable, his 90 runs flowing from 88 balls with 10 fours and not a single chance. However, McMahon was able to exert two lbw shouts from him in his final over, which was proof enough that the pitch was a spinner. The ball was turning too much, and both leg-before shouts came from deliveries pitched on leg which hit just on-line with off. Meanwhile, Lumb, who was criminally un-noticed, finished another polished innings (52 from 73, 5 fours) off when he miss-hit Smith to Sidebottom. With Ian Harvey (23 from 21) and Anthony Mcgrath (19 from 22) pounding away at the death Yorkshire was able to make 263 from their allotted overs.
With Nottinghamshire losing Anurag Singh first ball of their innings, they needed something special to win them the game. However, Bicknell (8 from 15) and captain Stephen Fleming (10 from 11) both failed, leaving their team in deep water at 3/26. Luckily, David Hussey (42 from 56, 6 fours) and Russell Warren (58 from 70, 9 fours) both played responsible knocks, with both striking boundaries all over the ground. Harvey and Hussey’s little competition (they both play for the Australian domestic team Victoria) eventually ended when Harvey (2/42 from 10), exasperated with Hussey’s exuberant cuts and drives, decided to try a bouncer. Unexpectedly having one rise at his head, Hussey lobbed a catch to Wood. Christopher Read, one of England’s best young wicketkeepers, blasted 15 from 12 balls and Ealham smashed 32 from 28 with 6 fours, but when Read was yorked by Harvey Dawson (who had lain dormant since his dismissal of Warren earlier that day) became a force to be reckoned with. Ealham played a confident on-drive, just to look down in surprise and notice that his off-stump had been removed. Two balls latter and Sidebottom tried his luck, smashing Dawson for a big six. However, with Anthony Mcgrath’s testing mediums removing McMahon (1/11 from 2) Dawson struck twice more to tear down Nottinghamshire.

The scorecard was:
Code:
Nottinghamshire v Yorkshire
Super Cup - group match - 24 Apr 2000

Yorkshire - 1st Innings
M Vaughan       lbw b McMahon             28
M Wood          b Sidebottom              42
P Jaques        c Hussey b Sidebottom     90
M Lumb          c Sidebottom b Smith      52
I Harvey        not out                   23
A McGrath       not out                   19