• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Selection Dilemma

superkingdave

Hall of Fame Member
My middle order has been very settled for the last 6 or so years - Sam Yates(33, Test ave 67.5) bats at 3, Barry Leaburn (34, test ave 72.05) at 4, no.5 is Rob Garside (35, test ave 73.31), and Veteran Graeme Macleoud bats at 6 (age 37, Test ave 75.73).

However Macleoud is only averaging 35 in 10 tests this year, and he was poor in the tour to NZ not managing a 50. Yet last year he averaged over 100 in test and he has over 18000 test runs and 68 test centuries.

I'm on the tour of India and the two reserve batsmen i chose are T Lennon and Anthony Moon. I decided to give Moon the opportunity at six instead of Macleod for the warm up against Karnataka. After a good start i decided to promote him to 4 in the order. Then he goes and scores 416* - now i have to decide whether to dump Macleod in what is probably his last winter of cricket, or leave someone else out?

Attachments

Blaze

Banned
superkingdave said:
who?

the new guy just scored another ton against Mumbai, but 4 other people in the top 6 did as well

Dump him and bring him back if the other guy fails.. or play him in the dead rubber if there is one so he can play one last test

superkingdave

Hall of Fame Member
i picked the new guy in the test series, he did ok. He scored 83, 111, 107* and 44.
He scored 889 FC runs on the tour at an average of 222.25, i think he'll stay in the side for WI

Mr Mxyzptlk

Request Your Custom Title Now!
I find the game so boring when it gets to a point that more than one batsman averages over 60, let alone in the 70s.

age_master

Hall of Fame Member
you would find my team boring than, almost every batsman (in my team) averages over 70 :p

you gotta pick the form player, than make the other guy fight his way back when he finds form again

superkingdave

Hall of Fame Member
meh there's only so many times you can star from the bottom, take the team to the top etc, the challenge for me is to try to beat records or hammer the aussies :p

he didn't do quite as well in the carribean, 621runs@69 with 2 centuries and 3 fifties.

Somerset

Cricketer Of The Year
superkingdave said:
meh there's only so many times you can star from the bottom, take the team to the top etc, the challenge for me is to try to beat records or hammer the aussies :p

he didn't do quite as well in the carribean, 621runs@69 with 2 centuries and 3 fifties.
Averaging 70 is a disappointing series??!!

age_master

Hall of Fame Member
ive got a number of players averaging over 80 in test cricket and i imagine hes the same so year it it a little

superkingdave

Hall of Fame Member
update on the guys performance, he's now played 48 tests and has 20 tons in 62 innings at an average of 75.62. He's scored 1209 runs in tests this year@109.91, and in his last 8 innings he's scored 84, 270, 104, 151, 67, 244, 92 & 73.

But he's been a bit upstaged by his mate Chris Yau, who has played 23 tests and scored 14 tons in 29 innings at an average of 99.36. HIs conversion rate is pretty good, he's passed fifty 17 times, and only been out 3 times before the ton. On the Pakistan tour he scored 70, 124, 89, 151, 29, 232 & 210*

They bat at no 3 and 4 and its good they are coming through as my No 5 & 6 are both 38 and will probably retire at the end of the season, they have 280 FC centuries between them including 152 test tons.

superkingdave

Hall of Fame Member
average seems to be going the otherway, 1719 runs @ 132.33 this season, with 7 tons, including 404* and two other doubles has seen his career average baloon to 110.61 after 34 test.

Attachments

mahmoodbhopal

School Boy/Girl Cricketer
i saw kallis with 37 tons and 33 fifties an his total runs were 5676 and some problem there a bug maybe

Last edited: