• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Tale Of A Rookie: Alex Eaves

Sean_Wootton

Cricket Spectator
July 2000

I can't believe it, since I was 17 every year has been the same. My name is touted as a possible selection for teams and they never come knocking. This year was different, this year the greatest county team, in my eyes had come knocking and they were at the right door.

After finally thrashing out the last of my contract, i was due to meet the boys just 6 days before Surrey were due to start their Super Cup campaign. I wasn't to be part of that team as told by my coach Sean Wootton.

I have enourmous respect for Sean Wootton, forced out of the game at the ripe age of 30 due to 6 major knee operations, he has since taken over as Surrey Coach and things are only going to get better for the young coach.

This season has been a dream for me, although I have only played both two County Championship matches and two one-day games they have set the platform for me to continue.

With us due to play Sussex in the 4th round of the NatWest trophy, I knew I wouldnt be getting a game due to the fact the England regulars, both Thorpe and Stewart would be back and raring to go. The fact that I got in the squad was amazing, but then to be told I would be opening with a great hero of mine, Mark Butcher was just unbelivable.

After winning the toss, Thorpe decided we should have a bat, which was probably a good thing to try and calm my nerves a little. Getting off the mark with a 4 in any game is great, but especially opening is a fantastic experience. The round of applause I got was fantastic and pushed me to keep going.

Unfortunately my first innings as opener didn't last too much longer and I was bundled out for 6 off 14, but the foundation was there. I wanted to play First Class cricket and I was going to try everything to make that dream come try.