• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

*Archived* Whatever you like....

Status
Not open for further replies.

Robertinho

Cricketer Of The Year
Haha, Cam White has just finished the series with 300 runs @ 50 and 30 wickets @ 14.97, with 2 5-fors and a 10-for. Solid. But anyway, check out Jaquesy's form. The last 5 was only because England were being unsporting and refused to declare, so we got them out with 1 over to go and 17 runs to get.

Also, Jaques (63.43), Hussey (63.43) and Ponting (59.14) - best top order in world cricket.

Attachments

Ace♠♠♠

Cricket Spectator
Cam White was one of me best ever, I don't have the screenies to prove it, but he ended his career playing 180 odd matches averaging 43 with the bat and 26 with the ball. Took a 7'fer on debut, that I still remember. Champ!

Robertinho

Cricketer Of The Year
I am getting annoyed at how few decent youngsters there are coming through. All the other countries have so much quality and so much depth - like people averaging 20 with the ball not even making squads. Meanwhile I have my 4th seamer spot rotating through Tait, Butterworth, Clark, Lee, Brant and Inness. They are good players but not good enough in the game to average below 30. There is nothing I love more than just ONE young gun bowler. Spin or seam. Give me a 23-24 year old who can average below 25 and I will be happy.

However, I have to admit, I was given an absolute gem of a batsman. Check him out - Ponting mk II. He just turned 23 and has already notched up 6 Test hundreds. Going to break records, that kid.

Like Ponting's record of 52 test tons maybe.

also check our performance in Tests - solid. have slipped to 2nd in ODIs but meh.

Attachments

Last edited:

krkode

State Captain
I am getting annoyed at how few decent youngsters there are coming through. All the other countries have so much quality and so much depth - like people averaging 20 with the ball not even making squads. Meanwhile I have my 4th seamer spot rotating through Tait, Butterworth, Clark, Lee, Brant and Inness. They are good players but not good enough in the game to average below 30. There is nothing I love more than just ONE young gun bowler. Spin or seam. Give me a 23-24 year old who can average below 25 and I will be happy.

However, I have to admit, I was given an absolute gem of a batsman. Check him out - Ponting mk II. He just turned 23 and has already notched up 6 Test hundreds. Going to break records, that kid.

Like Ponting's record of 52 test tons maybe.

also check our performance in Tests - solid. have slipped to 2nd in ODIs but meh.
You drew your last home series against Bangladesh. You boggle my mind. :D

Robertinho

Cricketer Of The Year
I am not going to lie to you, it was perhaps the most frustrating series ever. I smashed them in the 1st game, and looked certain to clinch the series in the 2nd game but due to ridiculous tail batting and rain (IIRC), could only draw. The last game, their fleet of freaky bowlers destroyed me. I just drew a series against SA as well, also under frustrating circumstances. Smashed them in the first two games, but could only win the 1st one, only for them to beat me by an innings and 250 runs in the 2nd game... inexplicable direness with both bat and ball.

krkode

State Captain
I am not going to lie to you, it was perhaps the most frustrating series ever. I smashed them in the 1st game, and looked certain to clinch the series in the 2nd game but due to ridiculous tail batting and rain (IIRC), could only draw. The last game, their fleet of freaky bowlers destroyed me. I just drew a series against SA as well, also under frustrating circumstances. Smashed them in the first two games, but could only win the 1st one, only for them to beat me by an innings and 250 runs in the 2nd game... inexplicable direness with both bat and ball.
I have this happen to me sometimes too. Was playing a world cup game as Aus against Nederlands I think and was chasing 190-odd. Made it to 70 without loss and just inexplicably lost all my wickets for another 70 runs. Happens in tests sometimes too - the most surprising teams just own me sometimes.

krkode

State Captain
The oddest thing: I thought I'd start an England game and play with some of my favorite players like KP and Flintoff and Sidebottom and lead the English to test table glory as my other favorite team, India, is too easy to play as in ICC08.

As I was selecting the team for Eng, I noticed I could actually select players like Stuart Law, Saqlain Mushtaq, Mohammad Hussain (Surrey), etc. for my England team because they all technically counted as their home county team now.

And Saqlain is a demon in all the ICC games... 8-) To use or not to use! I suppose I'll keep it realistic and stick with actual English players. :unsure:

Robertinho

Cricketer Of The Year
Haha yes, I've seen that. In fact, Saqlain was quite prolific for England until he retired.

And about India... yeah, tell me about it! They have ridiculous talent coming through ALL THE TIME.

krkode

State Captain
Haha yes, I've seen that. In fact, Saqlain was quite prolific for England until he retired.

And about India... yeah, tell me about it! They have ridiculous talent coming through ALL THE TIME.
I think the issue is lots of players tend to have fantastic records in the Indian domestic circuit, which is obviously played on Indian pitches exclusively. So you have batsmen averaging in the mid-50s and bowlers with low-20s averages. In real life, this doesn't mean much as the second these players are taken overseas and the quality of opposition increases they start to falter.

That said, par for the course in terms of batting average in Indian domestic cricket is about 47-53. In English county cricket it might be somewhere around 37-43. Now in ICC, take these players onto the international stage and you get some monstrous Indian batsmen compared with mostly so-so English batsmen. Badrinath in my game is just an absolute legend! There have been several games where I've chased down 400 in the 4th innings without a sweat using India. And one time after the opposition declared in the middle of Day 5, my India chased down 290 in 35-odd overs. :o

Jakester1288

International Regular
Playing as Australia, currently in the West Indies, lost a test match where over 6 hours were lost to rain. I can still win the series though, if I win the remaining 2 games.

Also playing as Hampshire in another competition (English county cricket), won my first few games.

Looking to blood Hughes soon when Hayden retires (or whatever happens) and make him a big part of my squad. Getting rid of Symonds slowly for North, Hodge or Klinger. My bowling attack is really good, Lee, Johnson, Clark and Tait. They bowl fantastically, I am trying to get a spinner but can't afford to get rid of these blokes. Lee and Tait are competing for a spot, and Clark and Johnson. I want to keep Johnson for the future, but I am not getting rid of Lee, Clark and Tait, so I think I will just stick with a 4 man pace attack until poor form/injury strikes. That said, I didn't take any spinners to the West Indies.

Robertinho

Cricketer Of The Year
Hughes, I find, isn't that great (so I had to edit him a bit in my game). Pomersbach is freakishly good however.

NZTailender

I can't believe I ate the whole thing
Pomersbach 21* and 178 on debut for me. About 130 runs of that century was scored batting with the tail as well, WAG.

Uppercut

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Playing as Australia, currently in the West Indies, lost a test match where over 6 hours were lost to rain. I can still win the series though, if I win the remaining 2 games.

Also playing as Hampshire in another competition (English county cricket), won my first few games.

Looking to blood Hughes soon when Hayden retires (or whatever happens) and make him a big part of my squad. Getting rid of Symonds slowly for North, Hodge or Klinger. My bowling attack is really good, Lee, Johnson, Clark and Tait. They bowl fantastically, I am trying to get a spinner but can't afford to get rid of these blokes. Lee and Tait are competing for a spot, and Clark and Johnson. I want to keep Johnson for the future, but I am not getting rid of Lee, Clark and Tait, so I think I will just stick with a 4 man pace attack until poor form/injury strikes. That said, I didn't take any spinners to the West Indies.
Ah, stick Stuart MacGill in there for sure. Never will an annoying tail-end partnership scupper your plans again. If you don't want to drop one of your quicks you can use Cameron White instead- he becomes an incredible all-rounder in time.

Jakester1288

International Regular
Jaques is easily my best one day batsmen, in my first two games he made 175 and 154*.

First game Australia was 5/323, and then we bowled out the West Indies for 131, Johnson taking 5-31, Hilfenhaus 2-35, Tait 2-37 and Lee 1-28.

Second game, Australia make 2/309, Jaques 154* and Hayden 115 also, and the West Indies make it to 312 for 5 wickets lost. Chanderpaul makes 151, and White is my best bowler, taking 2-34 (he didn't play in the first game), and then Johnson had 1-48 off 10, Lee 1-53 off 10, Hilfenhaus 0-71 off 10, Tait something like 0-70 off 10 (not 100% sure) and Symonds 0-27 off 3.1 What annoyed me is that on the last ball of their innings (the ball they hit the winning runs, not the 300th legal delivery) off Symonds they edged to third man, and he dropped it and it went for 4. :mad:

Jakester1288

International Regular
Ah, stick Stuart MacGill in there for sure. Never will an annoying tail-end partnership scupper your plans again. If you don't want to drop one of your quicks you can use Cameron White instead- he becomes an incredible all-rounder in time.
I am looking towards the future, I am playing White here and there in some one day matches and the occasional Twenty20, at the moment Symonds and Watson are playing my allrounder, but I am playing Hodge or Dave Hussey ahead of them in tests, because they are in shocking form.

I won the test series 2-1 for the record.

Jakester1288

International Regular
FFS, I just lost another One Dayer after posting over 300 in the first innings, Gayle and Chanderpaul making centuries to guide the Windies to another victory. My bowlers got carted again, Symonds ended up my best and everyone else went to all parts.

I need serious help with these One Dayers.

krkode

State Captain
I've felt ODI games can be something of a crap shoot in ICC just like in real life, I guess. Sometimes the opposition is freakishly good with the ball and you get bowled out for 150. Sometimes they're really good and chase down your 290-300+ total. And nothing you do seems to contain the scoring rate. Ultimately it comes down to early wickets... failing that, I've seen the computer chase down 320+ on occasion.

I've heard frequent bowling changes can sometimes help in ODIs where the opposition is scoring too fast for comfort. Haven't had this work for me that reliably yet. This is why I prefer to chase in ICC ODIs. :p

Status
Not open for further replies.