• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

*Archived* Whatever you like....

Status
Not open for further replies.

Blewy

Cricketer Of The Year
Just been playing ICC, after starting a new game with Hampshire i was offered the England position after the 1st season... Andrew Strauss in the 1st lot of off season tests scored 3 consecutive 150's in tests.. Ill post a screenshot later....

darko21

U19 Debutant
I am not sure if people are interested in this but I was thinking of compling a World XI Fantasy league for ICC 2002. The teams would consist of past and present players taking over the English Domestic league. Imagine Murali bowling to Bradman or Sobers taking on a weak Zimbabwean bowling attack or Wasim keeping WG Grace on his toes. I mean this is just an idea and if there is interest in it, I will attempt to create it. And one thing I will do is to halve the careers of all the players so that they can play for longer. And here is a list of the teams (Excel Worksheet).
Basically the there are two teams for each nation: one is a Test Team of sorts and the other is a One Day sqaud. The Bangladeshi and Zimbabwean squads (not yet devised) would be an all time squad since they are still young teams. Hope to get some comments happening.

Attachments

Last edited:

Dodgy

School Boy/Girl Captain
Couple of questions.....

And yes I know I should be lambasted for still having ICC 2000 and playing with the new databases, but I couldn't see the point in paying for a new game which was just a new dbase.

That said, I did have to buy it from a supplier in England and get my Mum to carry it back in a suitcase and I will be purchasing ICC 2005 from Game Planet...but it doesn't look like it will be before early next year.

I digress however; my questions:

First one is a matter of opinion, you have a rubbish player on a 3 year contract (I buy all my players on 3 year contracts - still not sure whether it is the best option). Do other members here buy players in on shorter term contracts, terminate contracts early, or suffer in silence and wait until the end of the contract? For the record, I always buy players on 3 year contracts and haven't terminated a contract early (it's very pricey!) in the 4 years I have been playing the game - I just wanted to get opinions from other people.

Second question is one tied up with batting and bowling ability. You start a career game, and as you progress through the game, the balance of power sides with the bowlers. Quoting from games I have played with Essex, two young bowlers in 2000, D Thompson and R Anderson end up their careers with over 1000 wickets at 12 p/w, a youth left armer I signed in my first couple of seasons came good and took 1200 at 10 and I had a spinner whose bowling average did not go much above 8 throughout his career, even at international level. My spinner took so many wickets that the PC couldn't cope with it and for the final year he played and it reset the counter for wickets but not for runs scored against so he ended with a bowling average of about 500 or so.

Has the imbalance between bowling and batting been addressed in the new version so that the England side isn't choc full of batsman averaging between 19-22 and bowlers averaging between 8-10. :-O :blink: :huh:

Took the fun out of playing really when you could take 9/13 and roll a team for 60 odd.

NB: Happened on both easy and normal difficulties levels....

Any thoughts/comments would be appreciated....

Chubb

International Regular
An old screenshot from the same game pictured in the Records thread. Blignaut scored 113 of his runs at the crease with Rayzer.

Attachments

chooka_nick

International 12th Man
Dodgy said:
First one is a matter of opinion, you have a rubbish player on a 3 year contract (I buy all my players on 3 year contracts - still not sure whether it is the best option). Do other members here buy players in on shorter term contracts, terminate contracts early, or suffer in silence and wait until the end of the contract? For the record, I always buy players on 3 year contracts and haven't terminated a contract early (it's very pricey!) in the 4 years I have been playing the game - I just wanted to get opinions from other people.
Meh, might as well see it out. If he's young he may turn good...
Dodgy said:
Second question is one tied up with batting and bowling ability. You start a career game, and as you progress through the game, the balance of power sides with the bowlers. Quoting from games I have played with Essex, two young bowlers in 2000, D Thompson and R Anderson end up their careers with over 1000 wickets at 12 p/w, a youth left armer I signed in my first couple of seasons came good and took 1200 at 10 and I had a spinner whose bowling average did not go much above 8 throughout his career, even at international level. My spinner took so many wickets that the PC couldn't cope with it and for the final year he played and it reset the counter for wickets but not for runs scored against so he ended with a bowling average of about 500 or so.

Has the imbalance between bowling and batting been addressed in the new version so that the England side isn't choc full of batsman averaging between 19-22 and bowlers averaging between 8-10. :-O :blink: :huh:

Took the fun out of playing really when you could take 9/13 and roll a team for 60 odd.

NB: Happened on both easy and normal difficulties levels....

Any thoughts/comments would be appreciated....
Yes, it has, it's now much more balanced mate (Y) You should like it. It's harder, but not too hard.

Dodgy

School Boy/Girl Captain
Thanks Nick - I'm hoping I might be able to get it before Christmas.

My car has been rather expensive this last month or so...

PeterF

Cricket Spectator
Dodgy said:
If you terminate a contract you only pay the player half of his wage. Once the player is terminated you get his full wage added back onto your total. This means that when you terminate the contract your budget should be increased. Hope this helps.

Last edited:

Dodgy

School Boy/Girl Captain
I saw it in the shops today - which is good because previous ICC titles haven't been on general release in NZ - it was hard to walk out without it!

Dodgy

School Boy/Girl Captain
Thanks Peter - I had never thought of it like that before.

Goes to prove that my Finance degree is wasted :-(

Somerset

Cricketer Of The Year
Dodgy said:
I saw it in the shops today - which is good because previous ICC titles haven't been on general release in NZ - it was hard to walk out without it!
What shop was this, Dodgy?

Dodgy

School Boy/Girl Captain
**** Smith Electronics in Henderson - retail for $59.95. I'm checking out whether it can be got at a discount with their customer card.

Assuming is can be bought or at least ordered from any DSE store though. [Have just checked on DSE website, available for $59.90 plus postage.]

Also on Gameplanet online store for $54.95 plus courier ($2.95 auckland wide, delivery next weekday - I can post the link here if I'm allowed?), or I'll flick you an email.

Somerset said:
What shop was this, Dodgy?

_Ed_

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Great win! Good to see Maduwantha do well there, he's a star for Surrey in my game. Bats at six for me!

darko21

U19 Debutant
Has anyway ever seen this many dropped catches for one player? Vetovski was dropped in the 60s, 80s, 110s and 180s.

Attachments

Jamee999

Hall of Fame Member
The Russian Revolutionski is beginskiing.

Letski goski andski beatski allski worldski cricketerskis

Dodgy

School Boy/Girl Captain
My Sussex thread is rocking along nicely, but I have bowling problems. I have the batsmen to knock off most targets in one dayers, and most of my bowlers are restricting type bowlers, which is good for limited overs but is a major disadvantage is the four day game. Guess I'll be shopping for some quality strike bowlers next season as I attempt to climb out of the 2nd div.

Tis a pity that Rana, Lewry, Ambrose and Yardy don't seem to be performing (yet) to the standard they do IRL.

Am also having issues with training :-( Yardy and Ambrose are getting batting training, but the training graph isn't moving? I'll slightly miffed because I'll normally have bought a young fella into some vein of form by now. Rana also isn't moving, but he is 26 so could be tad old?

I'll see what happens at the end of the season...

darko21

U19 Debutant
Originally posted by Jamee999
The Russian Revolutionski is beginskiing.

Letski goski andski beatski allski worldski cricketerskis
Ha ha, very funny. I just wanted the Australian team to be more multi-cultural. I also have Quillan Galbraith and Lazarus Hespero.

Status
Not open for further replies.