• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

The Chronicles of Frustration!

Mr Mxyzptlk

Request Your Custom Title Now!
As the subject states... stories of frustrating situations in ICC, not errors or crashes, but game situations.

In my South Africa game I was met with great frustration, during a 5-Test series against England. We won the the series 1-0, but in couple of Tests we barely hung on for the draw. This was largely due to the breakout of two English players. The two batsmen - Bill Stemmen and Dan Mason - scored their first 3 Test centuries in the series, having both played a few Tests before.

Stemmen had played 7 Tests with an average of around 16 before the series and no half-centuries or centuries. He then hit 3 consecutive hundreds (104, 149, 122), in the 2nd innings of the 2nd Test and then the two innings of the 3rd. He scored a half-century in the 4th Test and all of 544 runs in the series. Considering also that he struck the ball at around 80 runs per 100 balls in each of his hundreds, the annoyance is pretty clear I should think.

Mason entered with his average in the mid20s and no half-centuries or centuries. He not only scored those 3 hundreds (122, 105, 114), but also a fifty (52) for a total of 510 runs in the series.

What I will say is these guys better go on scoring runs against other teams too, or else I'll be even more annoyed!

Last edited:

Dasa

International Vice-Captain
I just played a five Test series with England vs Australia - needing 181 to win from about 30 overs on the 5th day, I finished at 180-5! Match drawn with scores level.

Dark Hunter

State Vice-Captain
IN My Current Durham career I've had 5 games where the oppositions last 2 batsmen have either hung on for a draw for like, the last hour, or gone onto score a hundred run partnership and win the game.

Last edited:

Magrat Garlick

Global Moderator
Had one game yesterday with Lancs. Were cruising, Flintoff and Fairbrother having a 100+ partnership, then Fairbrother gets a fracture and is gone for 4 weeks. End up being bowled out for 403, Martin takes 2.5-1-2-5 (I'm serious) reducing Worcs to 33/5. However, they managed to scrape their way to 180, bat again, make 413, set a target of 191, which I looked to be cruising towards at 120-odd for 6. Then Flintoff goes, Schofield goes, the tail rolls over, and I ended up eight runs short - eight runs which Fairbrother probably would have made easily.

Quit the game right afterwards.

Mr Mxyzptlk

The joy continues! Stemman then proceeds to score a maiden ODI hundred (150 not out off 132 balls), but thankfully South Africa scored enough runs (340/5 with Kallis 193 off 121) to win the game and level the series at 3-3. The next best score after Stemman's 150 was 23!

Stemman scored a total of 407 runs in the 6 matches with a SR of 95podd.

Another opener, Tom Bellson entered the series averaging 14podd in 27 ODIs. He scored his first 2 half-centuries and averaged a solid 34.83.

Mr Mxyzptlk

Neil Pickup said:
Get some new bowlers.
The thing is, there are a handful of quality bowlers in South Africa right now and all but a couple are 34 or 35. I don't want to invest in old folks at this stage. That said, there's a 27-year-old named Greg Storey (who I renamed as Dale Steyn) who's very good. He's leading my attack right now.

Pollock and Henderson are gone and Boje retired just before the current season, playing 99 Tests.

Nate

You'll Never Walk Alone
Mr Mxyzptlk said:
The thing is, there are a handful of quality bowlers in South Africa right now and all but a couple are 34 or 35. I don't want to invest in old folks at this stage. That said, there's a 27-year-old named Greg Storey (who I renamed as Dale Steyn) who's very good. He's leading my attack right now.

Pollock and Henderson are gone and Boje retired just before the current season, playing 99 Tests.
how was bodgee`s career?

Mr Mxyzptlk

Nnanden said:
how was bodgee`s career?
300 Test and ODI wickets I believe. He finished on exactly 300 in ODI. Top servant to the game. In his last few matches he was also quite the form batsman, scoring 86 off 54 balls in his 3rd to last game and then 105* off 79 balls in his 2nd to last whilst batting at 3.

_Ed_

Just had a nasty one, was Surrey against Sussex, got a very nice 524 all out in my first innings (Stewart got about 135, Thorpe 105, Ward 90), and looked for a while like I would certainly make Sussex follow on, but a hugely annoying 140 by Cottey and some support from the tailenders saw them get to 428. I batted again and Lewry took 6 to skittle us for 191. Sussex were set 287 to win and were 180/3 at one stage, scoring very fast and seemingly heading to victory. But then we took 6 wickets in the next 30 runs, leaving us needing only 1 wicket and with numbers 10 and 11 at the crease, needing to survive 8 overs to get a draw, I was pretty sure I would win it. But they managed to survive those 8 overs.