• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

ACC Database Question

KennyD

International Vice-Captain
Dingo said:
Better yet, go and write one yourself. It's not that hard, apparently everyone in the world can write a piece of software, just ask the millions of IT programmers who are now out of a job because upper management wanted a new ivory back scratcher :@
Sounds like your bitter about something there...

Dingo

School Boy/Girl Cricketer
KennyD said:
Sounds like your bitter about something there...
OK my comments were a little harsh...just that day, had had my manager say "anyone can write a computer program" and then say "gee this whole outsourcing our programming to India sounds like a good idea"...

I was mostly bitter because when I wrote the ACC editor, I had no help (and no offers of help), no real idea what did what in the database, I was using Visual Basic which is not the greatest language in the world, and I was doing it in my spare time. So in the end I released what I had done and got no end of crap for it. No one offered any help at any stage, so I wasn't going to waste my time and energy on it. Had there been some more positive criticism, I may have felt like toying with it some more, but there you go.

Basically, if you try and do anything to help out, you got slammed for it, was the lesson I learned.

Andre

International Regular
Dingo said:
OK my comments were a little harsh...just that day, had had my manager say "anyone can write a computer program" and then say "gee this whole outsourcing our programming to India sounds like a good idea"...

I was mostly bitter because when I wrote the ACC editor, I had no help (and no offers of help), no real idea what did what in the database, I was using Visual Basic which is not the greatest language in the world, and I was doing it in my spare time. So in the end I released what I had done and got no end of crap for it. No one offered any help at any stage, so I wasn't going to waste my time and energy on it. Had there been some more positive criticism, I may have felt like toying with it some more, but there you go.

Basically, if you try and do anything to help out, you got slammed for it, was the lesson I learned.
Fair game - I helped out. I agree with you completely though - you were slammed for trying to help fix a dead horse, but the fact of the matter was the company had no interest in the game succeeding and people expected too much - it's shortfallings were never acknowledged by the users.

Zen

Cricket Spectator
no help

Right then so no ideas about ACC and XP?
Or am I just being ignored ?
Cheers

Dingo

Andre said:
Fair game - I helped out.
Oops :shy: yes you are correct Andre, you did help out with the database side of things, and if it wasn't for your initial query about it then I never would have even looked into it. I was more referring to the actual programming side of things. As I recall, you did get a thanks in the editor's FAQ file as well :thumbup:

OK, I'm done ranting :pizza:

Dingo

Zen said:
Right then so no ideas about ACC and XP?
Or am I just being ignored ?
Cheers
Zen, I looked into this at some point in the distant past, I managed to get it running on XP, but it was almost certainly because I had installed XP on top of Windows 98. We never could work out why though.

DJellett

International Debutant
Dingo said:
Go ask Daniel Thomas (CricketGames.com) or someone else with copious free time to do it - I will have nothing to do with any future versions of this editor. I've got better things to do with my life than sit down and write a second version of an editor for a game that should have come with one in the first place. ACC was a good game that appears to have been let down by some terrible decision making by the company that released it.

Better yet, go and write one yourself. It's not that hard, apparently everyone in the world can write a piece of software, just ask the millions of IT programmers who are now out of a job because upper management wanted a new ivory back scratcher :@
Looks like someone's been burnt...

DJellett

International Debutant
Dingo said:
Zen, I looked into this at some point in the distant past, I managed to get it running on XP, but it was almost certainly because I had installed XP on top of Windows 98. We never could work out why though.
XP doesn't have Small Fonts, which is required, that's why.

godonnygo

Cricket Spectator
mine has always worked on XP, since, like Dingo, I had 98 installed and just did the update to XP.

but try this and you might be able to get it working:
Right click on desktop, click Properties...Then go Settings tab, Advanced. Then you should see "Normal size (60 Dpi)" or whatever, in a white box. Click this box and then choose "custom setting", then go to 75%. Good luck.

Btw i have a few questions about the database editor. How do I change the names of the young players that come up in the drafts at the end of the year?? thanks

godonnygo

Cricket Spectator
another question - is there any way of changing the fixtures in ACC so that theres 10 ING Cup games, and no ACT??

membersstand

State Vice-Captain
godonnygo said:
mine has always worked on XP, since, like Dingo, I had 98 installed and just did the update to XP.

Right click on desktop, click Properties...Then go Settings tab, Advanced. Then you should see "Normal size (60 Dpi)" or whatever, in a white box. Click this box and then choose "custom setting", then go to 75%. Good luck.

Btw i have a few questions about the database editor. How do I change the names of the young players that come up in the drafts at the end of the year?? thanks
You can't, it's a pregame editor only

membersstand

State Vice-Captain
godonnygo said:
another question - is there any way of changing the fixtures in ACC so that theres 10 ING Cup games, and no ACT??
Not that I know of. Competition structures are usually hard-coded into the game files and can't be edited

membersstand

State Vice-Captain
godonnygo said:
No Luck :(