• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

The Official *tooextracool v Richard Thread* (**Warning** May contain long posts)

Mister Wright

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
This is now the official tooextracool v Richard thread, where they can post there long and boring threads here and not clog up interesting threads that others may want to take part in.

Go for it boys... :p

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
It is wishful thinking indeed to think that every me-vs-tooextracool debate could be confined to a single thread.
And how many times must it be said?
It is not impossible for others to post their own discussions in the middle of threads in which me and tooextracool are having our 50-quote-post diatribes.
It should also be noted that, in the recent 3-day absence of tooextracool, there was very little active-thread movement, suggesting that threads in which others wish to participate are actually fairly few in number and that the presence of 10 threads almost solely posted in by tooextracool and myself do not in fact prohibit others from any discussion they wish to take part in. In fact, it suggests that there are plenty of threads which would run a course far sooner than were tooextracool and myself present, and that others have absolutely nothing they wish to contribute to these threads.

Is that clear enough for everyone?

EDIT: I'd just like to make another thing clear: I am not attempting to impose undue authority upon the forum, I am not telling James, Andre, Rich T, Corey, Neil and Liam how to do things - were they to speak to me and ask me if it would not be possible to tone down the massive posts I would have no hesitation attempting to do so. However, I think they may share my thoughts that it would be most unfair to impose a restriction on the amount of debate someone is allowed to take part in, and the amount of content they are allowed to post, and the size of posts, and so on.

Last edited:

Scaly piscine

Probably need about 50 'The Official *tooextracool v Richard Thread* (**Warning** May contain long posts) ' threads so that Richard can post 1-15 messages on each thread in sequence and then it be time for him to sort through his ball-by-ball compilations of "Zimbabwe: The 'competitive but still getting stuffed by an innings in the end' years 2000-2001" before he goes back to sleep dreaming of all those 100s of rubbish shots that people have played at McGrath, Pollock and Harmison over the past month.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Keep trying that sarcastic crap, you might actually get someone to share your ludicrous total derision someday.
Doubt it, though. Most people on here actually have some respect for me.

BoyBrumby

Englishman
I have to be honest, I do kinda admire Richard's passion for cricket. He obviously cares about the sport very deeply.

I think, and this is meant as constructive criticism, that in his (numerous) posts he comes across as being a tad dogmatic in his beliefs. Maybe the arrogance of youth? Dunno. Guess that's for him to say.

Mister Wright

BoyBrumby said:
I have to be honest, I do kinda admire Richard's passion for cricket. He obviously cares about the sport very deeply.

I think, and this is meant as constructive criticism, that in his (numerous) posts he comes across as being a tad dogmatic in his beliefs. Maybe the arrogance of youth? Dunno. Guess that's for him to say.

Yeah I have respect for both Richard and tooextracool, I just object to the massive posts. I used to read them, but they get too long and too often, so I just stop reading a thread when they (Richard & TEC) get started. Perhaps not every line of everyon'es posts need to be analysed.

I think both have the right to express their views, but should take it somewhere else (like MSN) when it gets to taking up 10+ pages (and that aint no exageration!).

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
Richard said:
EDIT: I'd just like to make another thing clear: I am not attempting to impose undue authority upon the forum, I am not telling James, Andre, Rich T, Corey, Neil and Liam how to do things

No, it doesn't seem that way either 8-)

tooextracool

International Coach
Mister Wright said:
Yeah I have respect for both Richard and tooextracool, I just object to the massive posts. I used to read them, but they get too long and too often, so I just stop reading a thread when they (Richard & TEC) get started. Perhaps not every line of everyon'es posts need to be analysed.

I think both have the right to express their views, but should take it somewhere else (like MSN) when it gets to taking up 10+ pages (and that aint no exageration!).
good to see that someone respects us :)
sometimes i dont really understand how 10+ pages is worse than no posts at all. i dont log on here that often, i didnt log on for a while recently, i think there was enough time for people to post whatever they wanted in my absence(something that will be quite frequent), yet apparently not many people did. personally i think all this is just an excuse for whatever reasons that people just dont have anything to post, and they dont want the 2 of us to do so either.

Mr Mxyzptlk

Request Your Custom Title Now!
I agree with the whole long post issue, so how about this...

List a topic which may have come up in another thread and you two have the urge to debate. Then add a code that complements it. (eg Best is better than Tendulkar [A1])
Then you guys can discuss away in this thread with long posts and all in peace and quiet. When you move on to another topic then just state it as previously suggested and continue. If you two wish to return to an old topic, or are discussing several at a time, just post the title/code in the subject of your post and post away.

Not sure how clear that is, but it would certainly ease the aggravation levels of some of the CW users.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Hmm, I think I'll have to read that post about 50 times before I understand that one!
Yes, there is definately a problem that many things are done in about three threads at a time.
It usually springs-up when one of us, in an attempted jibe, says "like in the case of blah-blah" (for instance, tooextracool might say "like the Motera wicket turned you might say?"; "like Graeme Smith such-and-such"; "like Chaminda Vaas such-and-such"; I might say "like Ealham never bowled in the first 15 you might say?"), and inevitably the reply is "oh, yes, but I was right blah-blah" and so one debate turns into four, with similar replies in four threads.
Of course, similar topics come-up (for instance, the one about the best Pakistan XI throws-up very similar things to the Chopra-or-not one).
Two of the biggest problems come-up in that tooextracool (apparently) has watched a lot of cricket and very regularly makes claims that I know quite clearly is not the case, mainly because I've watched it and am equally certain of something. Three of the best examples are the Motera wicket (tooextracool: "it was slow turn and slow turn is no use to any spinner"; me: "it turned, and good spinners can use any turn"); the WACA wicket (tooextracool: "it didn't turn and I'm absolutely sure it didn't"; me: "it turned, plenty, I remember plenty of balls quite clearly turning"); and the Lord's wicket (tooextracool: "cricinfo says one ball moved and I think it did, too - this means the wicket was bowler-friendly"; me: "I've got the ball on tape and it didn't move, I watched the match very clearly - no deliveries moved significantly off the seam and very rarely were helpful swinging conditions present").
You see the problems? Repetetive disputes on slightly different, but very comparable, topics.

Mister Wright

tooextracool said:
good to see that someone respects us :)
sometimes i dont really understand how 10+ pages is worse than no posts at all. i dont log on here that often, i didnt log on for a while recently, i think there was enough time for people to post whatever they wanted in my absence(something that will be quite frequent), yet apparently not many people did. personally i think all this is just an excuse for whatever reasons that people just dont have anything to post, and they dont want the 2 of us to do so either.
I think it is because people stop following the thread when the realise it is going down the inevitable, I won't give ground & neither will I path. It's like "Here we go again, they're at it again! That's it for my involvement in this thread."

I, and I assume most other like me have about a 5 line post attention span, any longer than that and it can get too much, especially if there are about 5 or 6 posts in a row that are 15-30 lines long.

Not every sentence in a post needs to be debated, a simple summary would be enough.

Mr Mxyzptlk

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Mister Wright said:
I think it is because people stop following the thread when the realise it is going down the inevitable, I won't give ground & neither will I path. It's like "Here we go again, they're at it again! That's it for my involvement in this thread."

I, and I assume most other like me have about a 5 line post attention span, any longer than that and it can get too much, especially if there are about 5 or 6 posts in a row that are 15-30 lines long.

Not every sentence in a post needs to be debated, a simple summary would be enough.
That sums up the issue quite well. Good job.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
It's all well and good, but there are very often 5 or 6 different topics in a post, so to summarise them is rather difficult.
I have recently made a very conscious effort to try and cut down topics, to try and avoid getting stuff into four threads at a time, and I have long avoided getting a single post with 30 quotes - once it gets too long, I break the reply down into 2 or 3 posts, while trying to break down topics and keep quotes on similar topics in single posts.

Mister Wright

Richard said:
It's all well and good, but there are very often 5 or 6 different topics in a post, so to summarise them is rather difficult.
I have recently made a very conscious effort to try and cut down topics, to try and avoid getting stuff into four threads at a time, and I have long avoided getting a single post with 30 quotes - once it gets too long, I break the reply down into 2 or 3 posts, while trying to break down topics and keep quotes on similar topics in single posts.
Try harder, it is distracting to other posters. The odd long post is fine, but 85% of post that are extremely long IMO is too much.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
I can only try as hard as I can try! :)
It's not possible to just cut the arguments like that.

Mister Wright

Richard said:
I can only try as hard as I can try! :)
It's not possible to just cut the arguments like that.

It can be if you don't say the same thing over & over again in your replies. Both you and extra cool will debate the exact same thing in multiple posts. Is that really necessary?