• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Greg Chappell in line to coach the West Indies

Craig

World Traveller
Your thinking of Greg Matthews.

Back to the subject, I think he will be a good choice to bring an outsider in - one that has no links what so ever with the Caribbean and besides it wouldn't hurt to give it a try.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Flintoff'll teach him, of course. :lol:
I never knew Greg Chappell had much pedigree as a coach, but apparently he's been at SA for quite some time. :wacko:
If he gets the job and makes a good start, I can see West Indies improving pretty quicky. If he gets the authority The WICB seem to have promised a month or so ago, he could transform the work-ethic, the thing everyone seems to have identified as the biggest problem.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Nah, he left that to Hayden when he got a no-more-than-slightly-questionable lbw decision!

age_master

Hall of Fame Member
Mr Mxyzptlk said:
Oh dear! The Aussies are coming...

Now Tino will really learn how sledge!

you gotta look for positives :)

nah Greg chappell is supposed to be a pretty good coach, should have apositive influence on teh side.

Hala

Cricket Spectator
I don't remember Greg Chappell doing that well with South Australia in our domestic competition a couple of seasons back, although they've never had the strongest squads.

I hope he doesn't coach them because then I won't be able to hear his insightful comments on the radio here during the summer cricket season :P

Mr Mxyzptlk

Request Your Custom Title Now!
It really is a tough situation for the WICB. They dropped Gus Logie after the biggest West Indian achievement in the last 5 years at the very least. Logie claims that the West Indian performance in the CT was the eventual produce of the work he'd been doing over the past year and a half and it may well be. In that sense it's very unfortunate that he's been sacked. On the other hand, the two may be totally disconnected and thus keeping Logie would have been losing out on an ideal platform for this young team to build on.

All that said, you've got to sympathize more with Logie, because he was never given anywhere near the powers that Chappell or whoever is the new coach will get. He said in a statement on TV the other day, something to the effect of 'I wish the new coach the best of luck and hope that he gets the support of persons involved in West Indies cricket, because I never did'. Some may say he's sour, but he speaks the truth.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Logie doesn't seem like the sour type to me.
Maybe I'm misreading him, but he seems like the sort who epitomise that you can be too nice as a coach. If you haven't got the Duncan Fletcher aura, sometimes you need an authoratitive manner.
From what I've seen Greg Chappell's got that and it may well be just what some of those players need.

Mr Mxyzptlk

Request Your Custom Title Now!
It goes without saying that if Chappell can bring any semblence of Australian discipline to the West Indian ranks, things should go a whole lot on the up.

Mister Wright

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Richard said:
Maybe I'm misreading him, but he seems like the sort who epitomise that you can be too nice as a coach. If you haven't got the Duncan Fletcher aura, sometimes you need an authoratitive manner.
From what I've seen Greg Chappell's got that and it may well be just what some of those players need.

Greg Chappell once ordered Jamie Siddons out of the batting nets when he kept belting spinners an potentially injuring the other players involved in the net training.

Neil Pickup

Cricket Web Moderator
Richard said:
From your experience, do I have either the authoritative manner or the Fletcher aura?

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Mister Wright said:
Greg Chappell once ordered Jamie Siddons out of the batting nets when he kept belting spinners an potentially injuring the other players involved in the net training.
:laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh:
They did that to me once!
Really and truly!

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Neil Pickup said:
From your experience, do I have either the authoritative manner or the Fletcher aura?
It would be most unfair for me to comment on the evidence of a massive one match and one training-session.
Also, of course, it's a bit difficult to compare u13s to pros.

Neil Pickup

Cricket Web Moderator
Richard said:
It would be most unfair for me to comment on the evidence of a massive one match and one training-session.
Also, of course, it's a bit difficult to compare u13s to pros.
Screw fairness, we all know you can judge everything from five minutes' observation!