• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Greg Chappell in line to coach the West Indies

Top_Cat

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Good on the WICB for taking a risk with a non-WI coach. Couldn't have picked a better one too. Greg Chappell much prefers to work with the 'gifted' payers rather than the 'just getting by' players and the WI squad is full of players like that. Let's face it, he was of a similar ilk; a player who led by example rather than pure leadership. He was never one to try to connect with the players like his brother was. Ian was the less naturally gifted player (still an awesome player, though) and was also the big brother for him and Trevor so used that sort of 'big bro' relationship with his players to get the best out of them. Greg was used to being 'the brilliant one' and it showed in his leadership style too. Personally, I think he'll be very successful.

Here's the shocking bit; the reason SA didn't do so well with Greg as coach was because they were LESS disciplined than the WI squad!

Craig

World Traveller
Good on them - he is a great choice, not because of the Pura Cup's Queensland won with him being in charge.

My other question is, should Brian Lara still remain captain? I have always shown my support behind him as a player, but I have been critical as him as a captain.

The WICB can justify keeping him on after that win in the CT final over England, but I can't help but think that to the fact Courtney Browne and Ian Bradshaw playing the innings of their international careers.

Mister Wright

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Top_Cat said:
Good on the WICB for taking a risk with a non-WI coach. Couldn't have picked a better one too. Greg Chappell much prefers to work with the 'gifted' payers rather than the 'just getting by' players and the WI squad is full of players like that. Let's face it, he was of a similar ilk; a player who led by example rather than pure leadership. He was never one to try to connect with the players like his brother was. Ian was the less naturally gifted player (still an awesome player, though) and was also the big brother for him and Trevor so used that sort of 'big bro' relationship with his players to get the best out of them. Greg was used to being 'the brilliant one' and it showed in his leadership style too. Personally, I think he'll be very successful.

Here's the shocking bit; the reason SA didn't do so well with Greg as coach was because they were LESS disciplined than the WI squad!
I'm pretty sure it won't be Greg Chappell, as the night progressess it seems pretty certain that Mr. King will get the job, if he hasn't already.

Mister Wright

Craig said:
Good on them - he is a great choice, not because of the Pura Cup's Queensland won with him being in charge.

My other question is, should Brian Lara still remain captain? I have always shown my support behind him as a player, but I have been critical as him as a captain.

The WICB can justify keeping him on after that win in the CT final over England, but I can't help but think that to the fact Courtney Browne and Ian Bradshaw playing the innings of their international careers.
Personally I wouldn't have Brian Lara as captain, but then there really is nobody else to lead the side. Sarwan is probably most likely, but I'm not sure he is ready & Jacobs has to worry about his spot. I don't think it would be that bad to give it to Chanderpaul, but he gets injured too often. It could help Dillon's performance (and he could rev the side up when they drop catches off his bowling). I think Lara is the only viable option at the moment.

Mr Mxyzptlk

Craig said:
Totally ignoring the inspirational efforts he put in in the field and the way he helped lift the level of the West Indies' game of course.

I was calling for Sarwan to be captain since early on the England tour, but I have to admit that his captaincy was near faultless in the CT.

Mr Mxyzptlk

Mister Wright said:
Personally I wouldn't have Brian Lara as captain, but then there really is nobody else to lead the side. Sarwan is probably most likely, but I'm not sure he is ready & Jacobs has to worry about his spot. I don't think it would be that bad to give it to Chanderpaul, but he gets injured too often. It could help Dillon's performance (and he could rev the side up when they drop catches off his bowling). I think Lara is the only viable option at the moment.
I would never give Chanderpaul the captaincy. I don't think he's captaincy material. He's not authoritative enough from my view.

Don

State Vice-Captain
speaking as a massively large big humongus chanderpaul fan i have to say never give him westindies captaincy guyana and leave it there.chanders it a person whu u would want captaining an international side.i say leave lara cuz there aint no one else really. sarwan aint ready yet and i dont think gayle would be considered.browne shouldnt even be in the westindies side.dillion thats a joke.jacobs is kinda getting over the hill now.so leave it at lara unless someone can find some way to bring back hooper or sumthing like that.

Craig

World Traveller
Didn't Sarwan have the West Indies playing more as a team when he was captain v Bangladesh (ODIs) then what they do know?

Mr Mxyzptlk

The batting let the team down in that series. Sarwan's captaincy was impressive. In fact, Sarwan has impressed me whenever he's had the captaincy, whether for a period of a Test or an ODI.

Mr Mxyzptlk

Bennett King has made his choice clear. He's endorsed Brian Lara to remain as captain for the time being at least.

Mister Wright

Mr Mxyzptlk said:
Bennett King has made his choice clear. He's endorsed Brian Lara to remain as captain for the time being at least.

I think that is to keep things stable, at least for the moment. One thing about Bennett King is that he has an eye for the future and develops young talent well. He also doesn't like laziness, so if Lara or any other senior member of the side decides to act that way, he won't tolerate it.

Has anyone else noticed that Bennett King has a West Indian sounding name?

Craig

World Traveller
tooextracool said:
err it was against bangladesh.......
and if i remember correctly they nearly lost the first ODI.
And go and tell me something I don't know goose.

Smudge

Hall of Fame Member
I wonder how the West Indian bowlers will cope with being ordered to bowl underarm...