• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

most exciting batsmen

The King

Cricket Spectator
Avg S/R

Jayasuriya, S T* 31.90 88.85
Sehwag, V* 32.00 94.59
Tendulkar, S R* 45.02 86.19
Lehmann, D S* 39.01 81.55
Gilchrist, A C* 35.70 94.12
Symonds, A* 38.12 90.86
Klusener, L* 41.10 89.92
Flintoff, A* 35.18 92.67
Shahid Afridi*
23.64 103.21
Powell, R L* 26.29 98.20
Pollock, S M* 24.67 83.70
Most people would be in unanimous agreement that there is nothing more exciting then an attacking batsman. I have composed a list of who I think are the most exciting to watch batsmen and bowlers. The question I pose is how much do you think they could score in a fifty over match and a twenty over match and what will the scores roughly be for each batsman/bowler.

Langeveldt

Soutie
Out of proper batsmen, there is nobody more flamboyant and exhilerating than Herschelle Gibbs when on fire.. Shahid Afridi a close second..

Honourable mentions

Andy Symonds
Lance Klusener
Nathan Astle
Andre Nel :p

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
Langeveldt said:
Out of proper batsmen, there is nobody more flamboyant and exhilerating than Herschelle Gibbs when on fire.. Shahid Afridi a close second..
What about Flintoff?

When he's going, there's surely no-one to touch him (just look at the way his tons have come this summer in ODIs)

Barney Rubble

International Coach
It depends what kind of strokes they are playing - for example, in a Test match when quick scoring is around 4.5 an over, seeing Michael Vaughan play his divine cover drive once every three overs will do me fine.

But in an ODI, when you might expect quick scoring to be around 6 or 7 an over, it's more entertaining (for me) to see Shahid Afridi or Flintoff come in, hit 70 off 30 balls with six sixes, then get out - both innings could change a match, both are great to watch for different reasons, Vaughan for his technical excellence and elegance when at his best, and Afridi or Flintoff for sheer power, timing and audacity.

Of course, that doesn't mean to say that it isn't good to see someone score 150 off 100 balls in an ODI without hitting a six, or that it's not an awesome sight to see Chris Cairns come in with NZ 150-5 (won't be happening any more, of course), blast 80 off 50 balls and get them out of trouble. It's just as good, only slightly more rare. Which in a way, I guess, makes it better.....I'll shut up now. :blink:

SJS

Hall of Fame Member
deeps said:
none other than mr shahid afridi
If it is Afridi, dont even go to the fridge to get a can of beer or to the loo to rid yourself of the last one...for he could be gone before you are back :p

Linda

International Vice-Captain
SJS said:
If it is Afridi, dont even go to the fridge to get a can of beer or to the loo to rid yourself of the last one...for he could be gone before you are back :p
Wouldn't that apply to every batsman?!

Mr Casson

Cricketer Of The Year
steds said:
(how come Hayden isn't in that list?)
I hope you don't mean in ODIs. Hayden is almost painfully slow to watch whenever I see him in a ODI. Of course, then every once in a while he fixes it all with a blistering century.

Linda

International Vice-Captain
I agree. Hayden's strike rate in ODI's is overrated. He tends to have this reputation of being this big slapstick bully from the first ball. He takes longer than that. Not that its a bad thing, though. Gilchrist does enough most times to cover it. :p

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Myself I don't find I get too excited by seeing scoring-rates of 12-an-over.
If so, I don't really find any one batsman is any more exciting than another.

SJS

Hall of Fame Member
Laxman,
Gibbs,
Ponting,
and Lara

either of them in full flow against world class bowling is a feast.

BoyBrumby

Englishman
It might make the purists choke on their Pimms, but I reckon for sheer excitement you can't beat a powerful tailender having a mow.

I think Harmison's thirty-odd against The Windies in the 4th test was pretty good value, excitement wise. Of course it was an adjunct to a solid batting display & I might've not found quite so enjoyably exciting if he'd come in at 150-8!

ReallyCrazy

Banned
In tests, I love watching laxman bat. He is the best and then after him its Lara.

In ODIs, I think most exciting batters are Flintoff (i haven't seen him bat after his new found inspiration) and Gilchrist. I think Sachin Tendulkar was very exciting to watch till 2 years ago. I don't find Shahid Afridi exciting at all.....I like to see batters play with controlled aggression, this shows they know how to play. That's not the case with Afridi. He's hit or miss.