• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

most exciting batsmen

Scallywag

Banned
aliG said:
NO doubt about it my friend. He simply butchers the ball. A true entertaining delight to watch. When he gets going, simply NO one can escape his fury. In practice, against sami and akhtar; in odi's against lee, pathan, streak, mcgrath and ESPECIALLY VAAS (refer to fastest fifty/hundred game against sri). I mean you name the top quality fast bowler, this man has given them a spanking, like no one we have ever seen. Great eyesight is the key.
You need to check his record against Australia before making claims like that.

Played 20 ODI's V australia and averages 11, and never passed 50.

SJS

Hall of Fame Member
Scallywag said:
You need to check his record against Australia before making claims like that.

Played 20 ODI's V australia and averages 11, and never passed 50.
Afridi's batting is as exciting as Russian Roulette would be :D

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
SJS said:
You are right that the brilliance of an innings can not be judged purely on the basis of how it affects the outcome of the game , but when it does like Bothams great solo effort against Australia it makes it extra special and there is a tingling excitement/nervousness/edge-of-the-seat feeling added to the joy of watching breathtaking strokes.

Also the batsman, presumably, is going through different kind of mental stresses the thought of which is exciting in itself.
Personally I think Astle played the better innings - but Botham's innings, from the time he started to realise he could change the match, must certainly have been more thrilling.
Any match-changing innings is invariably exciting in it's own unique way, for the supporters of the side turning it around anyway. It doesn't have to be dashing - Laxman and Dravid at Eden Gardens weren't - but nonetheless a match being turned on it's head is one of the great things to watch in cricket.
Only real time something like that's happened in my watching time has been Caddick, Gough and Cork at Lord's in 2000 - and even then, West Indies were still favourites after being bowled-out for 54. There was a similar thing with the Karachi game, when Giles and co.'s bowling turned the match from a seemingly fairly inevitable third consecutive draw into a match where England could push for victory.
There is nothing quite like a match being turned on it's head in a session - mostly (as in the case above) it takes 2 or 2-and-a-bit.

SJS

Hall of Fame Member
Richard said:
Personally I think Astle played the better innings -.
Sure. On batting merit and exciting strokeplay alone it was far superior.

The excitement of the match situation added the edge to Botham's effort.

And yes I read your post (on the lengthy posts thread) and your response makes me glad I wrote that post :D

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
SJS said:
Sure. On batting merit and exciting strokeplay alone it was far superior.

The excitement of the match situation added the edge to Botham's effort.

And yes I read your post (on the lengthy posts thread) and your response makes me glad I wrote that post :D
Had to keep your promise about that being your last post on that thread, eh? ;)

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Waughney said:
Funniest, maybe (as long as he's not wrecking good bowlers figures - then it's just :@:@:@:@:@)
Most exciting? No, not if you ask me. :)
He and Hoggard (as the ultimate blocker and the ultimate slogger tailenders) each have their merits in laughter.
And as has been shown recently, both are capable of scoring significant runs.

Mr Casson

Cricketer Of The Year
Richard said:
Funniest, maybe (as long as he's not wrecking good bowlers figures - then it's just :@:@:@:@:@)
He and Hoggard (as the ultimate blocker and the ultimate slogger tailenders) each have their merits in laughter.
Hahaha, you're dead right there. As a tailender he is funny as hell. One of those batsmen who makes up some very interesting shots.

SJS

Hall of Fame Member
Richard said:
Yes he is funny but at least he realises he is no batsman.

Harbhajan is such a cartoon but somehow he seems to have convinced himself that he is Viv Richards in disguise. His genuine surprise at getting caught between thirdman and long on from his 'helicoptor' shots is so funny it is tragic :D

Waughney

International Debutant
Richard said:
Yeah, but it was more of a joke.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Yeah, I kinda guessed that.
It's my speciality - using jokes to make serious points. :)

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
SJS said:
Yes he is funny but at least he realises he is no batsman.

Harbhajan is such a cartoon but somehow he seems to have convinced himself that he is Viv Richards in disguise. His genuine surprise at getting caught between thirdman and long on from his 'helicoptor' shots is so funny it is tragic :D
That's one of the best things about Murali - whenever people try to praise him for batting well, he instantly pronounces something along the lines of "I love a good slog". :) :thumbsup:
Great attitude.

one_dayer

Cricket Spectator
In ODI's Shahid Afridi

Innings: 182
Strike Rate: 103.23 :blink:
Sixes: 175 :wacko:
Fastest Century in ODI's: 102 off 37 balls - 11 sixes & 6 fours.

Its either a hit or miss with Afridi yes but that just adds to the excitment, you dont know what your going to get.

Last edited:

Arrow

U19 Vice-Captain
one_dayer said:
In ODI's Shahid Afridi

Innings: 182
Strike Rate: 103.23 :blink:
Sixes: 175 :wacko:
Fastest Century in ODI's: 102 off 37 balls - 11 sixes & 6 fours.

Its either a hit or miss with Afridi yes but that just adds to the excitment, you dont know what your going to get.
I actually do know what im going to get.And thats afridi getting out cheaply after 2 overs.

tooextracool

International Coach
abdul razzaq's 89 off 40 despite being in a losing cause against NZ was one of the finest piece of hitting ive seen.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
I didn't watch that but I did watch his 75* off 40 balls, in a much better-shaped stadium so possibly making-up those few runs difference.
Astonishing innings.
One of the best things about Razzaq is his willingness to just keep hitting the same shot time and again if it's working. So many players find it totally impossible to play the same shot even three balls in a row; plenty have even admitted to it, though it totally baffles logic.
In this particular innings, virtually every shot went in the arc between the bowler and straightish mid-wicket; though most went in the air, none even looked like being caught.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Arrow said:
I actually do know what im going to get.And thats afridi getting out cheaply after 2 overs.
Usually nowadays, but there was a time when he played good innings, playing proper cricket shots and scoring runs.
He was never going to be the sort of player who averages 40+ in ODIs but he looked like he might be on track to be one of those 30av-at-90SR players, who are most useful to any side.
Sadly, since the 2002\03 season he's just been a worthless slogger.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
one_dayer said:
Even that can be pretty exciting to watch :D (see below)

Hmm, hardly call that exciting; intreguing, maybe - only ever seen two stumps knocked out of the ground on one other occasion.