• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

If i was an indian selector........................

SJS

Hall of Fame Member
If I was an Indian selection committee chairman, I would co-opt this forum's members on the selection committee and sit quietly in my chair and watch the fun :D

Sunny Mehta

Cricket Spectator
Test Team

Sehwag
Patel (wkt)
Dravid
Tendulkar (c)
Laxman
Kaif
Yuvraj
Agarkar
Pathan
Harbhajan
Khan

In India, give up the "off-form" pace bowler for Kumble

FRAZ

International Captain
Have'nt decided yet
come on not so difficult , Juzz a Kool Billion there to choose from .....

Neil Pickup

Cricket Web Moderator
Arjun said:
Not too many teams have as many unofficial selectors as the Indian team. Not just a few players, but the whole team is going through a horrible phase, and have not won too many tournaments either.
There's a blindingly obvious reason for that, and it's that India has a larger population than anywhere else in the Test world by a mile.

Neil Pickup

Cricket Web Moderator
Richard said:
Personally I think Pathan needs to be tried up the order in domestic cricket - it's only 4 or 5 years ago he was apparently a full-time all-rounder - before trying him in Tests and ODIs - IMO he's definately got some potential, but those domestic averages aren't awe-inspiring.
Anyone can be a genuine all-rounder at 14/15.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Neil Pickup said:
Anyone can be a genuine all-rounder at 14/15.
Equally, if you'd seen him bat much you'd be able to see why.
True, there are plenty at that age; I got the picture it was for a bit after that, up to 17 or so - basically just before he started at the First-Class and List-A level.

krishneelz

U19 Debutant
maybe india needs a bit of style, attitude and aggresion Vinod Kambli style. That dude was a gun and averages 60 in first class and 53 in test matches. Im really suprised he was never considered after his short test stint. I also remember reading about him and tendulkar scoring a world record schoolboy partnership of 664. Although it was schoolboy i thought this dude has potential. Players like these come around every 5 years for one or two seasons and get discarded as kambli was for no apparent reason. They made some excuse about not being proffesional. I guess it wasnt meant to be

Arjun

Cricketer Of The Year
The lack of great players is now felt in the team, especially pressure situations.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
krishneelz said:
Comon theres gotta be some kambli fans out there
Maybe in his first few Tests but after an unbelievable start he went seriously downhill and had a questionable attitude.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Arjun said:
The lack of great players is now felt in the team, especially pressure situations.
Personally I'd say Tendulkar is already a great, Dravid will almost certainly become one and Laxman is well on the way to becoming one.
In the ODIs, Ganguly, Tendulkar and Dravid are all very much on the great list.

SJS

Hall of Fame Member
The ideal Indian test side subject to fitness.

1. Sehwag
2. Dravid
3. Tendulkar
4. Laxman
5. Ganguly
6. Ambathi Rayudu
7. Irfan Pathan
8. Dinesh Karthik
9. Anil Kumble
10. Harbhajan Singh
11. Laxmipathy Balaji.

Standbyes
12. Yuvraj
13. Kaif
14. Chopra/Jadhav/Sriram
15. Murali Karthik
16. Ashish Nehra
17. Zaheer Khan

Dydl

International Debutant
Tendulkar can't play, so he would have to be out. He might even have to miss the whole tour, on the news.

SJS

Hall of Fame Member
Dydl said:
Tendulkar can't play, so he would have to be out. He might even have to miss the whole tour, on the news.
Hellloooo ! I didnt say side for next test. I said the ideal side subject to fitness :)

Deja moo

International Captain
SJS said:
The ideal Indian test side subject to fitness.

1. Sehwag
2. Dravid
3. Tendulkar
4. Laxman
5. Ganguly
6. Ambathi Rayudu
7. Irfan Pathan
8. Dinesh Karthik
9. Anil Kumble
10. Harbhajan Singh
11. Laxmipathy Balaji.

Standbyes
12. Yuvraj
13. Kaif
14. Chopra/Jadhav/Sriram
15. Murali Karthik
16. Ashish Nehra
17. Zaheer Khan

Rayudu ahead of Kaif ?

Rayudu is fast turning into Yuvraj...giving his wicket away when everyone knows he can bat well . Only difference being that Yuvraj has a definite weakness against spin and the ball outside off stump , while Rayudu just throws away his wicket for the heck of it .( Plus the fact that he hasnt faced any good fast bowling yet in his career)

Arjun

Cricketer Of The Year
In the situations where the Indians found themselvesi n Bangalore, only a great player could rescue them. Had there been a Viv Richards, Clive Lloyd, Ricky Ponting or Matthew Hayden, they wouldn't just occupy the crease- they'd play more positively. They would respond with a very aggressive counter-attack, but still see their team home. This Indian team is either trying to attack too much without staying in long enough, or trying too hard to save their wickets, thus scoring fewer runs. The Indians were in a situation which truly tests how great a batting side is, and turned out to be very average.