• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Yuvraj Or Chopra

krishneelz

U19 Debutant
all bets on sriram in the openers slot for the next test. I see tendulkar maybe coming in for the second test and maybe yuvraj opening if he plays a blinder

poor chopra i bet you hes a nice guy but dosent make the cut in the test arena. Hes still young so maybe we will see him in the future

India could also revert to the awesome ganguly opening with sehwag. What are your thoughts

if chopra makes a double century in the second innings my head might turn the other way. But highly unlikely

So i now conclude that the next innings with chopra is his last for india unless a miracle occurs

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
marc71178 said:
And regardless of whether he does well or not, you'll still have a go at him, probably because this Aussie attack isn't as good as the Zimbabwe attack Das faced.
Oh, it's far better - only a complete idiot would say that McGrath, Gillespie, Kasprowicz, Warne is equally poor as Streak, Ervine, Blignaut, Friend, Price (or whatever it may have been on the 3 occasions).
However, that's one innings without him doing too well!

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Neil Pickup said:
Ganguly isn't going to open in Test cricket.
I've never liked the idea of Ganguly opening in Tests much more than I've liked the idea of Dravid or Tendulkar doing so.
I just hope, whoever they pick, they can recover from this devestating post-tea session just finished.
I can't see them saving this match for the life of me (barring rain) but it really needs someone to dispel the panic.

masterblaster

International Captain
krishneelz said:
chopra 0 looks like no more tests for him anymore
Sad, as he has real potential in this Indian side and his short leg fielding is absolutely brilliant. He adds a lot of balance to this Indian team, but he needs to score runs. Hopefully, he'll redeem himself in the second innings, and we won't have to resort to drastic changes like Sriram for opener.

Arjun

Cricketer Of The Year
masterblaster said:
Sad, as he has real potential in this Indian side and his short leg fielding is absolutely brilliant. He adds a lot of balance to this Indian team, but he needs to score runs. Hopefully, he'll redeem himself in the second innings, and we won't have to resort to drastic changes like Sriram for opener.
Not to mention he is India's best FC opener, and capable of making a top 6. Yes, he should score runs, but blunting the ball all the time won't help. Either way, the same team has to play in the next Test, save Sachin for Yuvraj. IT is not over for Yuvraj, as he will still be useful as a substitute at Point.

SJS

Hall of Fame Member
This is not to build a case for Chopra but ...

Chopra and Dravid got out to near identical deliveries except that Chpra's pitched further away from the off stump and moved more than the one that got Rahul.

Chopra covered his stumps and padded outside the line. Rahul played and was bowled through his defense. Is this ALONE enough to decide that Chopra is not good enough to open again ?

krishneelz

U19 Debutant
chopra proved to be a suitable opener against the aussies in the series when the played in australia but i dont see the selectors continueing with him unfortunatly because he did have potential

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
It's a moot point because the one likely to replace him at the top of the order also failed in the 1st Innings...

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
SJS said:
This is not to build a case for Chopra but ...

Chopra and Dravid got out to near identical deliveries except that Chpra's pitched further away from the off stump and moved more than the one that got Rahul.

Chopra covered his stumps and padded outside the line. Rahul played and was bowled through his defense. Is this ALONE enough to decide that Chopra is not good enough to open again ?
No, of course not - this and his previous career does, though.
It would be massively harsh to judge someone on a single innings.

SJS

Hall of Fame Member
Richard said:
No, of course not - this and his previous career does, though.
It would be massively harsh to judge someone on a single innings.
The Indian selectors are in a bit of a fix if Chopra fails in the second knock too. Its a real tough call.

He would be asking to be dropped and there isnt an opener , a genuine opener, from those they have tried recently who has undebatable credentials. I am not one of those who thinks Yuvraj should open (his current form not withstanding).

Thats why I had earlier suggested Parthiv Patel. Not because he is a great choice but because there isnt a choice that suggests itself as an obvious one.

It was a mistake to play Bombay vs Australia in the first tour games. A Board Presidents X! match would have allowed them to try new faces against quality bowling.

V Reddy

International Debutant
SJS said:
Thats why I had earlier suggested Parthiv Patel. Not because he is a great choice but because there isnt a choice that suggests itself as an obvious one.
:huh: What more should Gambhir and Jadhav do to get into the team? Bangar did the same job as Chopra and atleast offered an extra option of seam up.

SJS

Hall of Fame Member
V Reddy said:
:huh: What more should Gambhir and Jadhav do to get into the team? Bangar did the same job as Chopra and atleast offered an extra option of seam up.
I agree Bangar was dealt with very shabbily.

Arjun

Cricketer Of The Year
Much as fans criticise Yuvraj and Sehwag repeatedly, they are genuine matchwinners, and have done so in the past. But what great thing has Lucky Parthiv done? He's not a matchwinner by any means, yet he's off the hook all the time!

SJS

Hall of Fame Member
V Reddy said:
Unfortunately, there are not many games against touring sides as we used to have earlier and the domestic first class games do not boast of great bowling attacks.

In the last 5 years, there have been 13 matches against visiting teams (Aus-4, Eng-3, Zimb-3, NZL-12, WI-1) and India has tried 16 different openers in these games !

The most successful have been :
- Ramesh
110(NZL 2003),
101(Aus-2001)

- Chopra
66 and
103 not out (both NZL 2003)

- Sriram
149(Eng 2001),
27 (Aus 2001),
97 (Zimb 2002)

- Gambhir
5 and
30 (Eng 2001)
11 (WI 2002)
218 (Zimb 2002)

- Jaffer
0 and
99 (Eng 2001)
16 and
52 (Aus 2001)
38 (Aus 2004)

Interestingly, Yuvraj has never ever been used as an opener in any of these games. He played once at number 4 against NZL and scored 80 not out.

Fair, unfair, whatever these are the chances given and the results. Take your pick ! :D

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
Arjun said:
Bangar would make a very good opening bowler, especially in helpful conditions.
So could any seam bowler by that token!

You seem obsessed with making Indian players into something they're not.

krishneelz

U19 Debutant
Chopra looks better than Gambhir at the moment. Gambhir shoukd be introduced in a touring side against Zimbabwe or Bangladesh same with Jadhav. They dont deserve to be put into the heat of battle against the likes of mcgrath and co. But in saying that if australia lead the series 3-0 with one game to play players like sriram should be considered

SJS

Hall of Fame Member
krishneelz said:
Chopra looks better than Gambhir at the moment. Gambhir shoukd be introduced in a touring side against Zimbabwe or Bangladesh same with Jadhav. They dont deserve to be put into the heat of battle against the likes of mcgrath and co. But in saying that if australia lead the series 3-0 with one game to play players like sriram should be considered
That would make a lot of sense. I hope, however, India dont find themselves in that position :huh: