• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Bradshaw and Browne for the test team?

garage flower

State Vice-Captain
Windies have no test cricket for about 6 months so I don't know who would be stupid enough to start a thread on this subject ( :mellow: ), but what are your views on whether the Bajan duo would/should:

A) be picked in a Windies test side if a series/tour was imminent?

B) still be in the picture for the home tests against South Africa starting next March?

Given the plethora of injury problems at the moment, I think Bradshaw would and should make the test team at the moment, but probably shouldn't if everyone was fully fit.

I'd keep Browne in the one-day side, but probably not the tests (not sure he'd up to batting at 7 in a test match).

dro87

U19 12th Man
chris.hinton said:
Never there are not good enough for the test team as they lack mental strength
well they don't lack 2 much of it... the won the game for the west indies... aganst lost of pressure... which needed metal strength

The Baconator

International Vice-Captain
i think bradshaw might make it into the test team but browne won't unless carlton baugh majorly messes up or gets injured

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
It would be most harsh on Carlton Baugh were Browne to make the Test-side (not to mention Ridley Jacobs).
Ian Bradshaw would quite possibly be a very, very effective Test-bowler on seaming and uneven pitches but I don't know how much trouble he'd cause on flat, grassless ones.
Nonetheless, I still think he'd do better than Best, Edwards, Lawson, Collymore or the like.

Magrat Garlick

Global Moderator
Browne would very much be a backward step for the West Indies. What they need now is to concentrate on their young talent, refine them through playing Test cricket...and to pick a 33 (thereabouts)-year-old wickie would completely contradict that selection policy which they have adopted over the past couple of years.

Bradshaw I'm not too sure about. Certainly wouldn't select him on the basis of what he did with the bat in the Champions' Trophy, though.

Mr Mxyzptlk

Request Your Custom Title Now!
garage flower said:
Given the plethora of injury problems at the moment, I think Bradshaw would and should make the test team at the moment, but probably shouldn't if everyone was fully fit.
Yet specializing players (bowlers especially) to ODI and Test cricket (in theory) cuts down on injury.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
And it can also weaken one of the sides.
A question of: is it worth risking Bradshaw for the possibility of improving West Indies' Test-side?

Neil Pickup

Cricket Web Moderator
chris.hinton said:
Never there are not good enough for the test team as they lack mental strength
Mr Mxyzptlk said:
Candidate for stupidest post ever?
Not a candidate for.

If there were a noble prize for stupidity, it would have to be permanently awarded right now.

Dasa

International Vice-Captain
Neil Pickup said:
noble prize
or a Nobel.

Aren't Bradshaw and Browne (moreso) getting on in years? Would either of them be able to last that long?

Mr Mxyzptlk

Dasa said:
or a Nobel.

Aren't Bradshaw and Browne (moreso) getting on in years? Would either of them be able to last that long?
You mean 5 days of a Test? :p

Browne is pretty old in wicketkeeping terms, but Bradshaw could go on for a while yet. He's got a pretty stress free action from my view point and he's a pretty fit man. He's only 30. Courtney was pushing 40 when he bowed out, and even then he could have continued on because he was better than most bowlers in the world.
... that said, Walsh was a special bowler and I'm not trying to pin any comparison on Bradshaw.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Mr Mxyzptlk said:
You mean 5 days of a Test? :p

Browne is pretty old in wicketkeeping terms, but Bradshaw could go on for a while yet. He's got a pretty stress free action from my view point and he's a pretty fit man. He's only 30. Courtney was pushing 40 when he bowed out, and even then he could have continued on because he was better than most bowlers in the world.
... that said, Walsh was a special bowler and I'm not trying to pin any comparison on Bradshaw.
I think Bradshaw could prove not much worse in ODIs.
Sadly, of course, he won't have a career of the length he, I guess, should have done.
I'm presuming his List-A record has been this good throughout his career?

Mr Mxyzptlk

Richard said:
I think Bradshaw could prove not much worse in ODIs.
Sadly, of course, he won't have a career of the length he, I guess, should have done.
Indeed. Bradshaw should have been selected at the very least 2 years ago.

superkingdave

Hall of Fame Member
Richard said:
For someone who is 30 he has played a surprisingly small amount of cricket 43 list A matches with 57 wickets. How come he's played so little?

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Presumably something to do with the tiny number of Bowl games (and I'm not absolutely certain how long it's been played for - does his career outdate it by any chance?) that are played, and the fact that AFAIK he's never been on any A-tours.

superkingdave

Hall of Fame Member
Well he's only played 31 first class games aswell, he made his first class debut in 1998, guess it shows how little cricket some players get to play if they arent international