• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

England announce Zimbabwe Squad

tooextracool

International Coach
Richard said:
I didn't - I said Bell is like Atherton in some ways, and because of that people might suspect that he would turn-out to be a similar one-day player to Atherton - and IMO he could be better.
if bell is like atherton then we would expect him to do exactly the same thing that atherton is, which is that he wont be good enough. maybe he is different though, i havent watched enough off him to say that he cant score quickly,but from what ive seen so far i doubt he can.

Richard said:
Except that IMO it's not extremely poor - it's just not especially good.
its not good enough for him to be a part of the ODI side, hence its not good enough.

Richard said:
Sehwag's average at the top of the order until recently was above 40, and combined with his strike-rate made him a phenomenon. Perhaps it was inevitable that he was drop-off the way he has in the last couple of series...
err his average was never over 40 anytime recently. the last time he averaged over 40 in any series was in NZ in 2002/03, which was a very long time ago indeed.

Richard said:
Equally, if you've got some players like Sehwag, Jayasuriya, Gilchrist you need players like Atherton - ideally striking at 68 rather than 58.
no you dont, if you've got players like sehwag,jayasuriya etc then you need players like atherton with SR's of 70 odd and an average of 38-39.