• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

England announce Zimbabwe Squad

tooextracool

International Coach
Neil Pickup said:
good to see Bell make the squad
very poor move IMO bell is not an ODI batsman.....all this time i've been thinking that the selectors finally managed to get something right by not picking bell, and then this happens....

Neil Pickup said:
interesting to see Prior in (poor Chris Read)
or rather stupid....chris read should be in there ahead of jones, yet of course now he isnt even in the squad.

Craig

World Traveller
marc71178 said:
It looks to me like a hunch call.

They've made plenty of those in the past and rarely been proven wrong.

Heck, what about Prior to play well, replace Jones and add another batsman to the line-up?
Just like Kabir Ali, Rikki Clarke, Vikram Solanki, Gareth Batty, Antony McGrath, James Troughton for example?

After all aren't the England selectors supposed to know more then the general public since they get to see them play more?

Andre

International Regular
Craig said:
Just like Kabir Ali, Rikki Clarke, Vikram Solanki, Gareth Batty, Antony McGrath, James Troughton for example?

After all aren't the England selectors supposed to know more then the general public since they get to see them play more?
Wait a minute.

Kabir has played 1 Test, took 5 wickets, and is yet to bowl in an ODI. Can't judge.

McGrath was a hunch - fair point.

Solanki, Batty and Troughton demanded selection - not a hunch.

Clarke has been dismal, but I'm rather confident he will bounce back in the future with interest.

Langeveldt

Soutie
a massive zebra said:
Is this a one-day squad? I thought Zimbabwe had been banned from ODIs until 2005???
Nope, when coloured clothes are donned, I am afraid Human rights, ethics, morality and common sense go out of the window,

Neil Pickup

Cricket Web Moderator
Andre said:
Wait a minute.

Kabir has played 1 Test, took 5 wickets, and is yet to bowl in an ODI. Can't judge.

McGrath was a hunch - fair point.

Solanki, Batty and Troughton demanded selection - not a hunch.

Clarke has been dismal, but I'm rather confident he will bounce back in the future with interest.
Add to the fact that McGrath is still statistically the best Test all-rounder in the world.. :)

I've not seen the evidence that Batty's done anything other than what he was selected for, anyway - number two spinner.

chris.hinton

International Captain
We should have sent a Young Side to Zimbabwe and given the first choice players a rest

Captained by Ashley Giles

Prior
Solanki
Pietersen
Bell
Clarke
Collingwood
Read
Giles
Kabir Ali
Sajid Mahmood
James Anderson

other 4 would be

Newman
Swann
McGrath
Wharf

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
marc71178 said:
It looks to me like a hunch call.

They've made plenty of those in the past and rarely been proven wrong.
No, except in the cases of (thus far):
Wharf, Mahmood, Jones, Key, Troughton, McGrath, Clarke, Blackwell, Tudor, Snape, Kirtley, Foster, Shah, Vaughan, the list could go on but the last 3 years are all that's really fair!

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
tooextracool said:
you mean like with ... batty etc?
TBF Batty wasn't a hunch-call exactly - he has performed well in List-A-one-dayers for the last 3 seasons.
But of course spin-friendly New Road isn't exactly comparable to most ODI pitches, on which fingerspinners are mere cannon-fodder.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
chris.hinton said:
Would be a classic example, yet again, of a player being picked for ODIs who has a good First-Class record and a (in this case very, very, very) poor List-A-OD one.
McGrath
Wharf
Neither are exactly young!

a massive zebra

International Captain
Richard said:
No, except in the cases of (thus far):
Wharf, Mahmood, Jones, Key, Troughton, McGrath, Clarke, Blackwell, Tudor, Snape, Kirtley, Foster, Shah, Vaughan, the list could go on but the last 3 years are all that's really fair!
+ Sidebottom, Dawson, Batty.

Mr Mxyzptlk

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Craig said:

Troughton, Kabir and Rikki were hardly hunch calls.