• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

What happened to Graeme Hick?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Anoop

U19 12th Man
He scored 100 FC hundreds, didn't he?. Why was he knocked out of the England squad?

Sure, he must be underperforming.. but 100 centuries.. way too cool!! I can't understand why he has only an avg of 33 in Test cricket :O

Top_Cat

Request Your Custom Title Now!
The problem with Graeme Hick was that he was picked far too late. With this stupid 5-year rule England had (still have it??), He played his first Test something like 3 years after he was just about to hit his prime. Then by the time he was finally allowed to play, the expectations were so great that the West Indian attack of the time took him apart. They exploited his weakness against the short ball (something which may have been rectified with a few years of hard Test cricket under his belt) and that was that.

He is certainly an awesome player and technically is NOW very good but his weakness against spin bowlers (tries too much to play them off the back-foot) and geniune pace bowling counted against him.

Top_Cat

5 year rule??
Graeme ick isn't English but Zimbabwean. He was actually in their squad for the 1987 WC. When he came to play in England, he had to play Country cricket for 5 years to qualify to play for England. He scored 405* in 1988 but it was another 3 years before he could play for England. I'd find that pretty damn frustrating.

scorpio

U19 Cricketer
Hick is not test class. Not atleast topnotch.
Sure when the bowling was less than world class he was a giant.

But when put under the microscope he was found wanting.

His 100 centuries say a lot abt the quality of english county cricket...( or the lack of it..)

scorpio

U19 Cricketer
you need to have *some* special skills to hit 100 centuries..!!
may be he did..
but it didnt take a special bowler to crack him..lol ...big merv hughes did it.

Hick is a okat batsman but his record is just flattered by rubbish county bowling. Hick sucked big time against pace ( ganguly is his closest rival interms of reputation and performance)

Top_Cat

Now hang on one second. Merv at his peak was as good as any bowler in the world at most stages of his career. You don't take 13 wickets on the WACA against a West Indian side comprised of Greenidge, Haynes, Viv, Richardson, Logie and Hooper without being something very good.

And there were numerous other great performaces against other teams. He was very injury-prone no argument but to say he wasn't a VERY good bowler is selling him short.

scorpio

U19 Cricketer
Now hang on one second. Merv at his peak was as good as any bowler in the world at most stages of his career. You don't take 13 wickets on the WACA against a West Indian side comprised of Greenidge, Haynes, Viv, Richardson, Logie and Hooper without being something very good.

And there were numerous other great performaces against other teams. He was very injury-prone no argument but to say he wasn't a VERY good bowler is selling him short.
I didnt say he was crap. He was a quality fast bowler. But the way hick fell to him tells a lot abt hicks skills...

aussie_beater

State Vice-Captain
Graeme ick isn't English but Zimbabwean. He was actually in their squad for the 1987 WC.
Graeme Hick was not in the Zim team of 1987 world cup.He was included as an extra player at the age of 17 in the 1983 world cup which was Zimbabwe's first world cup.He defected to England in 1986.

Top_Cat

Whoops! Typo. I MEANT 1983.......damn keyboard. :D

I didnt say he was crap. He was a quality fast bowler. But the way hick fell to him tells a lot abt hicks skills...
That's right. And everyone else, keep off Merv. I will not hear a negative word against the big man, with the big heart and the bigger gut! :D

Another 'big' legend: BOONIE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

The Argonaut

State Vice-Captain
I agree with Scorpio, Hick was a flat track bully who can't handle quality bowling. He is well suited to county cricket.

Neil Pickup

Cricket Web Moderator
Argonaut: As what I was going to say..

Flat track bully, not test class. He's had countless chances and not taken them. If there hadn't been the five year rule, if, if, if...

vic_orthdox

Global Moderator
People come and go, dass, not all hang around for ever.

Such an annoying dig, I'm going to have to close the thread.

Status
Not open for further replies.