• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Which current players will score a Test 300?

Barney Rubble

International Coach
Of the current crop of Test match players who have not as yet scored a Test match triple century (there are lots of them!) who do people think will go on to score one?

I've got a feeling Michael Vaughan will do it eventually - when he is at his best there is no-one to touch him in terms of technical elegance and timing in my view, and he's shown before that he can play big innings.

Rahul "The Wall" Dravid will surely do it at some point, and Ponting has got as good a chance as anyone.

I also think Herschelle Gibbs has a decent shot at it - his 183 at the Oval last year was an absolute privilege to witness, although he's in some shocking form at the moment.

I also think at some point, someone really unexpected might do it - someone batting at no5 or 6, who is aggressive and gets a bit of luck. Brad Hodge hit 302* off 280 balls for Leicestershire last year so hitting a triple playing aggressively isn't impossible, although there's no denying county cricket is a different kettle of fish. Flintoff anyone? That'll be a good watch.... :thumbup1:

shaka

International Regular
I think that if Matthew Sinclair got back into the NZ squad, he could be the one to get a triple century. He either scores double centuries or goes out for a low score.
If he is excluded, then I would have to say Ricky Ponting (due for a massive score).

Mr Mxyzptlk

Request Your Custom Title Now!
It's unlikely, but surely you can't count Brian Lara out of it again. How many actually thought he would do it twice, let alone break the record twice? Rhetorical no doubt as very would would have.

Mr. P

International Vice-Captain
I agree with Gibbs. Got a feeling he may do it...

Also Dravid, Ponting and a Pakistani against Bangladesh. Maybe Hameed.

Last edited:

cbuts

International Debutant
Of the current crop of Test match players who have not as yet scored a Test match triple century (there are lots of them!) who do people think will go on to score one?

Eclipse

International Debutant
I dont know about Dravid I think he even said himself he bats to slow to score 300..

maybe if it's to save a match and he does not have to worry about the result.

masterblaster

International Captain
Correction Eclipse, he said he's too slow to beat the magic 400 figure set by Brian Lara. He got 270 odd against Pakistan, which isn't too far away from 300.

aussie_beater

State Vice-Captain
masterblaster said:
Ponting, Lara, Dravid, Tendulkar, Hayden (yet again), Inzamam are all I can think of.
Lara ofcourse already has a 300 and a 400. Inzamam also already has a 300 against NZ.

I would put my money on Dravid getting there and maybe Sachin and Laxman too from the Indian batting lineup.

Last edited:

Raj123

U19 Debutant
a massive zebra said:
Tendulkar does not have the mental capacity to make a triple - he struggles to make it to 200 leave alone 300.
he almost got 2 just this year alone.....

Barney Rubble

International Coach
Let's not get into an argument about SRT's mental capabilities.

Someone mentioned Gilchrist earlier - I think if he does it would have to be in an absolutely gigantic total, like 800+, because he would need one of the top order to stay with him and score at least 150-200 or he would run out of partners. He scores quickly but he would still need to face 300-350 balls, and that means those at the other end have to face the same amount, give or take 50 balls. Can't see Warne, Lee, Gillespie and McGrath sticking around for that long.

Don't think Lara will ever do it again - the first thing that goes with age is stamina and the ability to bat for 10 hours plus, which is what you need to do for a triple.

Dravid is a nailed-on certainty to do it in my view - some days you are just never going to get the man out, no matter who you are or what you do.

SJS

Hall of Fame Member
Barney Rubble said:
Dravid is a nailed-on certainty to do it in my view - some days you are just never going to get the man out, no matter who you are or what you do.
Sure Dravid is most likely amongst Indians. Hayden could do it again. Graeme Smith is another with most requisites.

Never rule out Tendulkar and Lara from anything :)

Ponting is the best batsman who somehow doesnt appear likely to do it. Its lack of unwavering focus over such prolonged periods of time. Otherwise he has everything else that it takes.

wpdavid

Hall of Fame Member
SJS said:
Sure Dravid is most likely amongst Indians. Hayden could do it again. Graeme Smith is another with most requisites.

Never rule out Tendulkar and Lara from anything :)

Ponting is the best batsman who somehow doesnt appear likely to do it. Its lack of unwavering focus over such prolonged periods of time. Otherwise he has everything else that it takes.
Totally agree with all of the above. Has Kallis made 300 yet? I'd have thought he has a better chance than most. Maybe Attapatu, who has several doubles IIRC.

Mr Casson

Cricketer Of The Year
wpdavid said:
Totally agree with all of the above. Has Kallis made 300 yet? I'd have thought he has a better chance than most. Maybe Attapatu, who has several doubles IIRC.
Kallis doesn't even have a double, does he?