• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Which current players will score a Test 300?

honestbharani

Whatever it takes!!!
shaka said:
I would agree, Fleming has the ability (shown by his 274*), but can he do it in the first innings of a test, this would be his best chance, as with everyone else.
Did he take the best part of 3 days to make that 274*?

chaminda_00

Hall of Fame Member
Sangakkara is the pick for me, if Sri Lanka can find a Test Keeper so he can play as a batsmen, then i think he has the game and consentration to do it. Also their Laxman is denfinently good enough.
Atapattu got a few double centuries, a 300 must be around the corner.

tassietiger

U19 Debutant
I'm sure Ponting could do it if he gave himself the time, Gayle could do it off 100 balls :), not sure about Langer as he has so much concentration, but the aggressive way he plays would mean he would need a very good run to make 300. But, then again, Virender Sehwag has a 300, and he's no slowcoach either.

Anyone could do it against Bangladesh or Zimbabwe.

chaminda_00

Hall of Fame Member
tassietiger said:
Anyone could do it against Bangladesh or Zimbabwe.
You do have point that way they probably should be playing InterCont Cricket not Test cricket. Imagine Gilchirst letting fire against BD or ZIM, he could score 300 in a session :D

tassietiger

U19 Debutant
I'm not saying they're bad, I'm just saying they don't get the wins on the board, which Test teams need to do. Unless of course they're playing each other.

I'd love to see Australia have a go against a 'win-challenged' nation, would be fun. Still, I think Hayden started batting a lot worse ever since he got out in our match vs. USA, so it could be dangerous :D

dudeurfriend

School Boy/Girl Captain
tassietiger said:
I'm not saying they're bad, I'm just saying they don't get the wins on the board, which Test teams need to do. Unless of course they're playing each other.

I'd love to see Australia have a go against a 'win-challenged' nation, would be fun. Still, I think Hayden started batting a lot worse ever since he got out in our match vs. USA, so it could be dangerous :D
Laxman may crack a 300.... he is a good bet for a long innings

Dasa

International Vice-Captain
BlackCap_Fan said:
He faced 476 balls, which isn't that bad.
It's pretty good - equates to 3.45 runs per over. For a comparison, Dravid's 270 took 495 balls - 3.27 per over.

FaaipDeOiad

Hall of Fame Member
LongHopCassidy said:
The most likely candidate for 300 runs against his name?

Brett Lee.
I'd say one of the Bangladeshi spinners or perhaps Murali or Kaneria would be more likely - someone who is going to bowl a third of the overs in a long innings. Brett Lee I can't see bowling more than 50 overs, which you have to do if you're going to go for that amount of runs. :P

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
shaka said:
I would agree, Fleming has the ability (shown by his 274*), but can he do it in the first innings of a test, this would be his best chance, as with everyone else.
If he's opening then I think that reduces the chances a great deal.

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
BlackCap_Fan said:
Fleming. 274*, he should've got the 300 THEN declared. Meh.
Fortunately for NZ, Fleming thinks of the team rather than himself.

By declaring when he did, he allowed his team a couple of overs at SL - their best chance of trying to get a win.

BlackCap_Fan said:
He faced 476 balls, which isn't that bad.
I think he did looking at the number of balls bowled in the innings, but Cricinfo reckon it took him 592 balls to reach his 250 - somethings gone wrong somewhere there!

Dasa

International Vice-Captain
marc71178 said:
I think he did looking at the number of balls bowled in the innings, but Cricinfo reckon it took him 592 balls to reach his 250 - somethings gone wrong somewhere there!
I think they've mixed up balls faced and minutes at the crease.

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
That was the only thing I could think it would be.

By the way looking at that scorecard, SL deserve some credit for just 1 wide and 1 no ball in 170 overs!