• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Ganguly v Tendulkar

Sunny Mehta

Cricket Spectator
Who should be the India captain?

The team has some of the most talented in the world but they perform terribly. This is all down to the captain when the TEAM is not working. India need a change as they have not moved forward as a team since the world cup. Anyway Ganguly does not qualify for a place in the team for his performances, also results as captain have been poor.

I hear you say Tendulkar has been captain, and failed. How long ago was that? He was in his mid-twenties, was the best player, in a one man team. Surely this pressure can mount on anyone at this age. Now with a more talented team and a more mature Tendulkar he should be captain.

Who do you think should be captain?

Arjun

Cricketer Of The Year
Much as this debate has been going on for a really, really long time, it's been four years of Ganguly's maverick captaincy, and only 2 major ODI series have been won. A change of captaincy is not an issue. Ideally, VVS Laxman will be a good choice, given his high degree of cricketing intelligence. Dravid is a lateral thinking captain, so it's not too bad an option. Kumble, being a senior bowler, can help the bowlers improve thier performaces. He understands his spinners best. If Brian Lara, a great player, made a decent captain, why can't Tendulkar? A great player can be quite a good captain. Not that Ganguly's 'faith in your players' and 'arrogant, in-your-face' methods are bad, but they require a lot of great players, but the team doesn't have too many.

Arjun

Cricketer Of The Year
I hear you say Tendulkar has been captain, and failed. How long ago was that? He was in his mid-twenties, was the best player, in a one man team. Surely this pressure can mount on anyone at this age.
Captains in their early 20's are never the best choice, since they lack the experience and knowledge needed in tough spots. Graeme Smith is a good example. An ideal age would be between 27 to 35.

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
Interesting that Lara is now rated a decent captain on the back of one big win in so long, yet Ganguly isn't when he's done a lot more than that.

masterblaster

International Captain
Arjun's just Anti Ganguly I think. But your right Marc, Ganguly's certainly acheived more than Lara has in his captaincy career.

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
Definitely Ganguly, and if I was going to even comprehend changing captaincy, Dravid would be the next choice without question. Sachin isn't even in the equation. He already gives his input to the team along with the other senior players, why put the pressure of captain on his shoulders? He didn't need that when he was 26, and he doesn't need it when he is 30 either.

Sanz

Hall of Fame Member
Another one of those weird theories of 'Arjun'. In last 10 years India lost only one home test series and that was under the captaincy of someone 'Sachin Tendulkar'. Btw Arjun Sachin second sting as captain was in 1999-2000 hardly early 20s.

ReallyCrazy

Banned
Arjun you are blatantly and blindly anti-ganguly. For no reason at all.

Ideally, VVS Laxman will be a good choice
huh? What was that? Ideally, VVS should not be even making the ODI team IMO.

Tendulkar has been tried as captain two times. And he failed. Besides, he is the best batter in the world and he needs to concentrate on scoring runs.

So my and your captain should be DADA and no one else!

Mr. P

International Vice-Captain
Ganguly.

If you want to blame anyone for the fact India haven't done so great despite their awesome batsmen, blame the bowlers.

aussie_beater

State Vice-Captain
What is this rubbish. This team was built by Ganguly and he has delivered. This ODI tournaments thing is taken way out of context. How many Indian captains have won ODI tournaments outside of Asia anyway ? And home ODI tournaments aren't that many as it used to be earlier.

When Ganguly took over the team in 2000, it was in shambles. Ganguly built this team from ground up and transformed Indian cricket into a competitive unit even away from home while keeping the home record intact. When was the last time that happened prior to Ganguly taking charge ? I don't see any reason other then Ganguly's personal likeability in some circles, for this to be even thought about.

tooextracool

International Coach
Arjun said:
If Brian Lara, a great player, made a decent captain, why can't Tendulkar?
if lara is what you would call 'decent' then ganguly is 'god'

Arjun said:
but they require a lot of great players, but the team doesn't have too many.
so tendulkar,dravid, ganguly and laxman are not enough then?

tooextracool

International Coach
aussie_beater said:
When Ganguly took over the team in 2000, it was in shambles. Ganguly built this team from ground up and transformed Indian cricket into a competitive unit even away from home while keeping the home record intact.
err are you talking about nasser hussain,stephen fleming or ganguly?

Sanz

Hall of Fame Member
tooextracool said:
I guess he is talking about Ganguly. Look at Ganguly's record overseas and compare it to other Indian captains.

aussie_beater

State Vice-Captain
tooextracool said:
I am talking about Ganguly. When he took over, India even lost at home. There was young blood in the team in the form of Harbhajan, Sehwag, Zaheer and Nehra coming in and Ganguly fought with selectors on occasions to get these guys settled in the team to an extent. He stuck by his team and made it to believe in itself and that is seen in results which has made Ganguly the most successful captain for India in tests. So it was a team building exercise for Ganguly also, maybe not to the extent that Fleming or Hussain had to go through but for an Indian captain asserting himself to the selectors and everybody else and sticking with his team through thick and thin made the team more comfortable and helped in his cause to be successful.

Swervy

International Captain
aussie_beater said:
I am talking about Ganguly. When he took over, India even lost at home. There was young blood in the team in the form of Harbhajan, Sehwag, Zaheer and Nehra coming in and Ganguly fought with selectors on occasions to get these guys settled in the team to an extent. He stuck by his team and made it to believe in itself and that is seen in results which has made Ganguly the most successful captain for India in tests. So it was a team building exercise for Ganguly also, maybe not to the extent that Fleming or Hussain had to go through but for an Indian captain asserting himself to the selectors and everybody else and sticking with his team through thick and thin made the team more comfortable and helped in his cause to be successful.
mmm...well ganguly has done nothing recently to convince me that he is a good captain when it comes to tactics or the ability to make his team fight back from being in trouble (that body language of his when India are losing still makes me laugh everytime I see it..staring into space chewing his nails..just wondering what he can do without actually doing anything decisively and quickly)

However I dont see anyone around that will do a better job,and probably deserves more time as captain..but just one thing..this India team (well say for the last 3 years )has been the most talented team India have ever had..that is the main reason for the 'success' they have had..in fact for a team with so much talent, they really have done nothing...yes yes 1-1 draw vs Australia and getting to the WC final..other than that,what have they done..a team of great individuals that are underacheiving as a team