• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Lou Vincent

Tim

Cricketer Of The Year
After thinking about the catch that Vincent took off Martyn in Adelaide earlier in the year, I'd have to say..how did he see it?

The ball came off the bat like a sidewinder & Vincent made the catch look easy, although he dropped one about 3 balls before going at the same speed so I guess he was ready for another and Martyn ended up looking like a sucker for punishment with that field setting.

Top_Cat

Request Your Custom Title Now!
After thinking about the catch that Vincent took off Martyn in Adelaide earlier in the year, I'd have to say..how did he see it?
I wondered the same thing for quite some time. That's why I said in another thread that although Stehen Fleming was innovative in setting his fields, he needed some dedicated and talented fielders to pull that sort of stunt off.

That's just one example. I'm sure Martyn was just as stunned when Lou actually took it. One of the most stunning inner-circle catches I've ever seen.

More seriously, Lou Vincent is going to be the world's best fielder, if he's not already. He can stop the ball as good as Herchelle or Jonty and has better hands then either of them. I still say he's watsed in front of the wicket, though. Someone like him should be in the cover-point region, where you need to guys who can take the catches moving like tracer bullets.

Tim

Cricketer Of The Year
Brendon McCullum is regarded to be even better than Vincent, apparently he has little fear. But I guess Brendon will end up being NZ's keeper.
On a side note, it was good to see him making use of his time in Australia.
250 off less than 100 balls is getting into Gilchrist territory.

I think NZ have always had several good fielders, but in recent times we've been going to new levels with Vincent, Oram & McCullum.

Tim

Cricketer Of The Year
Fleming has probably two of the best fielders to defend gully to cover (Harris & Vincent) nothing much gets past Harris which Vincent has some pretty safe hands.

Kiwi

State Vice-Captain
Lou is an amazing player. His positive attutude is awesome as well.. Hes a great guy to be around.

Kimbo

International Debutant
i was chatting to lou last night at my club's agm and prizegiving. he's such a nice guy... very supportive and friendly.

Cybersmurf

U19 Cricketer
i think NZ have the best fielding unit in the world. Lou Vincent and McCullum, u already know bout them but i would even say that Andre Adams is even better, at throwing anyway and maybe actual fielding.
plus we have good slip fieldsman. Fleming as u will know and Vettori is knowing proving to b very good also and we can't forget Astle or Cairns. there isn't one bad fielder in our side apart from Richardson when he runs, poor bugger lol

lisamaree

Cricket Spectator
You're right about him being wasted in front of the wickets, although, that is where he can probably effect the most runouts...I can't understand why the NZ Selectors have seemed to persevere with trialling him in the wicketkeeping position though; it is important to have a good wicketkeeper, but there are other people who can fill that placing, wheras there are few others who could fill the boots of such an outstanding fielder.

Eclipse

International Debutant
I know Vincent is a good felder but to me hes still not in the same class as Ponting Or Rhodes.

I would not go as far as to say New Zealand are the best felding team in the world Australia still hold that mantle by quite some way.

If were looking at the VB series for example New Zealand droped 5 more catches for the series and made 3 less run outs than Australia.

Tim

Cricketer Of The Year
but if you look at the test series, Australia also dropped more catches than NZ.

Vincent cannot be classified yet as being in the same bracket as Ponting or Rhodes but there is no doubt that if he continues playing for NZ, that he'll eventually get there.

R_Powell_fan

U19 Captain
I think I have to agree with eclipse on the point that Vincent is not yet at the class of the ever magical Rhodes, but maybe Ponting, The Newzealanders at the moment are indeed one of the best fielding teams in the One Day arena...remember their fielding in the Sharjah tri-tournament not far back...Say speaking of which, where the hell is that young Fast-Medium bowler who bowled beautifully against Sri Lanka, I think his name was Kyle Mills, and can anyone explain why he hasn't one a recall afterwards as he ripped through Sri Lanka's top order. I know that at that tournament NZL were trying out a couple of youngsters but still though he looked just as good as Tuffey and maybe better as he had great control and swung the new ball a considerable deal

Anoop

U19 12th Man
From the little I've seen of Lou Vincent, I think he definitely has the potential to be a great fielder. Yes, why waste him as a keeper?

Why is the Kiwi side always filled with keepers?? Adam Parore, Brendom McCullum, Lou Vincent.. haven't they all played together in one match?

And what happened to Lee Germon?? Wasn't he once captain of NZ test team? Where did he disappear.

lisamaree

Cricket Spectator
Lee Germon has been hanging around the Otago cricket scene ever since his vanishing act from international cricket...I'm not sure whether or not he is planning on returning for them this season though; as he was due to retire last season but played out of duty as a mass migration of top quality players away from the Otago side left the line up very depleted.

beigebrigade

Cricket Spectator
Looks like Nevin will take the gloves and bat 3 in the ICC at least so the powers that be won't be wasting Vincent behind the sticks. McCullum may have been regarded as a sensational fielder but dropping M Bevan at the MCG earlier this year was a goober which many will find hard to forget...