• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Bangladesh & Test Status

Anoop

U19 12th Man
I'm just wondering why Bangladesh was given test status..

They played 12 tests, lost 11, 8 of them innings defeats and drew one match (that too because of rain, Zimbabwe almost won that one too)

For their effort and commitment i would 10 on 10.. but for talent, well it's way below.. looks worse than a club side!!

aussie_beater

State Vice-Captain
Why Bangladesh got test status ? .....there is a man named Jagmohan Dalmiya who used to run world cricket sometime ago and he thought that to make his rule a little stronger he needed some new loyalists and that's where Bangladesh joined the party although not following the same dress code as the others, I guess :D

Top_Cat

Request Your Custom Title Now!
aussie_beater: YOU CYNIC!!! :D

I happen to agree. Why Bangladesh was given Test status over Kenya I'll NEVER know.

Top_Cat

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Guys, we need ur support , not ridicule
The 'team' DOES have our support now that they're in but the machinations that resulted in Test status were questionable, in my opinion. I sure hope that Bangladesh does surprise some teams but it just seems that it will take some time before that happens. Mind you, the best Bangladeshi players won't be moving over the border to Pakistan and India anymore so maybe that'll help!

sir middle stump

School Boy/Girl Captain
not that i fully support Bangladesh getting test ststus so early......but i thought it may interest one to know that it took India some 20 years to win their first test match and some 25 years or so for new zealand since getting test status....there is always hope for Bangladesh.....i mean look at sri lanka.....they got test status in 1983( i think ),and won the world cup just 13 years later....and there is no shortage of passion for the game in Bangladesh to not hope for good performances from them....we may just have to wait for 4-5 years or so ( a pittance compared to ind and new zeal as men tioned above )....

sir middle stump

School Boy/Girl Captain
why does Kenya not deserve test status?..................two reasons.................(1)..not as much support or passion for the game there as in Bangla.......(2)...their cricket board is not even recognised by their own government..

Neil Pickup

Cricket Web Moderator
why does Kenya not deserve test status?..................two reasons.................(1)..not as much support or passion for the game there as in Bangla.......(2)...their cricket board is not even recognised by their own government..
Yeah, there's a better infrastructure in Bangladesh, and more domestic support. That and Dalmiya. Though Kenya are a better side, and I look forward to their beating Bangladesh in the WC.

royGilchrist

State 12th Man
Yup another feather in Dalmiya's cap :)

I think it took NZ 50 yrs to win their first test (or maybe it was the first test series in 50 yrs).

But, I think Bangla would be good pretty soon, and would surprise a few people, the kind of support they have is the most important thing, and the next generation (within 10 yrs) should produce world class players.

Here's an idea, send India to Bangladesh, if India wins they win their first away series in a long time, and if Bangla wins they can make their own record. But, knowing India they might still draw the series, in which case Bangla would still be proud. And Sachin and co. can make and break all kinds of batting records.

scorpio

U19 Cricketer
Yup another feather in Dalmiya's cap :)

I think it took NZ 50 yrs to win their first test (or maybe it was the first test series in 50 yrs).

But, I think Bangla would be good pretty soon, and would surprise a few people, the kind of support they have is the most important thing, and the next generation (within 10 yrs) should produce world class players.

Here's an idea, send India to Bangladesh, if India wins they win their first away series in a long time, and if Bangla wins they can make their own record. But, knowing India they might still draw the series, in which case Bangla would still be proud. And Sachin and co. can make and break all kinds of batting records.
Roy needless flame bait...you can do better than that..

LankanPrince

School Boy/Girl Captain
We will have to wait and see whether the decision to grant Bangladesh test status was a good one. Look at Sri Lanka. They made their debut in the test arena in 1983 and were thrashed by most sides up to 1996. Thats 13 years of what seems little progress. Look how they have raised their game post 1996. Now they have become a successful cricketing nation. However I think there was more talent in Sri Lanka than Bangladesh so they deserved test status. I am not against Bangladesh as they have great work ethic and team spirit. Remember how they beat the excellent Pakistan in World Cup 99. :D

[Edited on 7/25/02 by LankanPrince]

Neil Pickup

Cricket Web Moderator
Remember how they beat the excellent Pakistan in World Cup 99. :D
Hmm... I'm not 100% convinced that that one wasn't thrown... *sits back and waits for abuse*

There have always been some good Lankans though, and there haven't been any really good Bangladeshis. Sri Lanka started to improve from approx 1992- to peak in 96.

aussie_beater

State Vice-Captain
Sri Lanka had quite a few good batsman from the start like Siddhath Wettimuny and Roy Dias and company in the mid eighties.I don't see any similar Bangla players though.

sir middle stump

School Boy/Girl Captain
i really think that the top 9 test nations should be placed in a top tier of nations playing test cricket amongst themselves .....and the next 10 best nations should be placed in a second tier of nations playing the 5 day game( ICC sanctioned official second class test matches)...maybe allow the top team from the second tier to be promoted to the first tier every 4-5 years or when it is felt that they have raised their standard sufficiently high enough to play the real stuff...this way the 10 to 20 ranked teams would atleast get proper exposure to the international game......a sort of parallel league to the current group of test playing nations.....

Anoop

U19 12th Man
Sri Lanka was quite an ok team when they were first introduced into Test cricket.. Like the Zimbabwe of today, they weren't that bad.. atleast not bad enough to lose so many test matches in a row that too innings defeats!!

Seems like you haven't been following much cricket.. Bangladesh played its first Test against India in Dhaka and India won by 9 wickets.. somehow, nobody (including me) don't consider it an away series win..

Paid The Umpire

All Time Legend
LOOK.

Bangladesh, Zimbabwe, Kenya and India( :P) are all not good enough for the Test and/or Oneday arena.

They should be in a second 'weaker' league.

Anoop

U19 12th Man
LOOK.

Bangladesh, Zimbabwe, Kenya and India( :P) are all not good enough for the Test and/or Oneday arena.

They should be in a second 'weaker' league.
did you really have to post that? :confused: