• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

First to score an ODI double century

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Swervy said:
why not...it would be great viewing if someone like Gilchrist (or whoever) did it vs a good opponent
Hmm...
Or it would be savagery and slogging and very, very much one-sided.
Not to mention it would almost certainly involve a dropped catch or two.

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
Richard said:
There are certainly plenty less likely than Razzaq.
When you've seen him smash a good attack all over a huge stadium without once looking remotely like getting out, and scoring 75* off 40 balls - not to mention some of the stuff he's done in the last year - you can't help thinking it's remotely possible.
I'd say that Razzaq is one of the least likely "big hitters" to do it because of where he comes in.

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
Swervy said:
why not...it would be great viewing if someone like Gilchrist (or whoever) did it vs a good opponent
No, because, like Harmison smacking the bowlers around, it would be good bowlers getting their figures ruined by an extremely lucky swing and hit merchant ;)

Waughney

International Debutant
Haha, no chance.
If someone does get it in the near future, it will be against Zimbabwe, Bangladesh or in the World Cup 2007 against one of the minnows.

Sudeep

International Captain
I'm inclined to say no one from the current lot, but if I have to pick one who's the most likely, I'd say - Chris Gayle.

Craig

World Traveller
marc71178 said:
No, because, like Harmison smacking the bowlers around, it would be good bowlers getting their figures ruined by an extremely lucky swing and hit merchant ;)
I have never been able to see what the problem is with seeing a number 11 slog the ball around. Harmison is paid (and quite well I would imagine) to bowl, not bat and is probably going to get a pearler of a ball, why not go out there and throw the bat.

Besides, it is a chance to get a few extra runs on the board you may not have got, and puts the opposition on the back foot. That and it is entertaining.

If a bowler is good enough, he will get Harmison out.

Mr Mxyzptlk

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Well it would have been Chris Gayle today, but someone forgot to tell England that. They lost the plot and haven't given him enough runs to chase it.

Close game...

biased indian

International Coach
by some one in the Next ICC champions trophy in india
the best batting condition u could hope for

Last edited:

Barney Rubble

International Coach
If I was Saeed Anwar, I'd be damn annoyed about getting out on 194. Anyone know how and at what point he got out? Caught on the boundary running backwards off the last ball, perhaps? :laugh:

I've also got a bizarre feeling that Ganguly might do it....he opens often enough. I don't think it's going to be one of the obvious ones like Gilchrist, but it'll certainly be someone who gets in in the first 10 overs - anyone below no5 is discounted I think, because you'd have to be pretty irresponsible to start slogging with 4 down after 10, so that's unlikely. I can't see someone like Abdur Razzaq, as destructive as he is, being able to stay in for long enough, either.

That's ruled out quite a few people, actually! :laugh:

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
marc71178 said:
I'd say that Razzaq is one of the least likely "big hitters" to do it because of where he comes in.
Oh, it's OOTQ as long as he's batting down - but were he to be promoted (it's happened before), I maintain that there are many less likely.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
masterblaster said:
John Davison anybody?
age_master said:
possible, but considering the number of ODI's that Canada play its gotta be remote
quytst0rm said:
John Davison if he gets more chances.
The Baconator said:
or what about that canadian bloke if they qualify agen?
Except "that Canadian bloke" is actually an Australian, who's been playing for ages, mostly as a bowler.
And if he was really anything close to good enough to score a ODI double-century is it not likely he'd be playing for Australia, and been doing so for the last 8 years or so?
That master-fluke of a WC2003 innings seems to have given a few people a rather inflated reputation for him.
Honestly, he's about as unlikely to as Jan-Berrie Burger.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Hmm... same Herschelle Gibbs who went into his most recent ODI averaging 17 over the past 18 months?
;)
Agree that there are many less likely.

steds

Hall of Fame Member
Mr Mxyzptlk said:
Well it would have been Chris Gayle today, but someone forgot to tell England that. They lost the plot and haven't given him enough runs to chase it.

Close game...
would you care to repeat that? Didn't quite hear it :p