• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Ricky Ponting out of First Test

biased indian

International Coach
Ricky ponying has been ruled out of the first test aganist india to be played in Bangalore.

and there is unconfirmed reports that he might miss more than one match

luckyeddie

Cricket Web Staff Member
biased indian said:
Ricky ponying has been ruled out of the first test aganist india to be played in Bangalore.

and there is unconfirmed reports that he might miss more than one match
Six weeks, the talk is

Mister Wright

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
I wonder if Australia will call up a replacement or whether they will keep the 16 man touring squad. If they don't Clarke or Watson will be making their debuts.

Sanz

Hall of Fame Member
I think Clark will fill in for him and there is a good chance that he will do well because IMO he a good player of spin.

luckyeddie

Cricket Web Staff Member
Richard said:
Couldn't this be posted in the Australia in India thread?
Not at all - Aussies losing their captain is a big issue and deserves a thread all of its own.

arjwiz

School Boy/Girl Captain
Well then, if Clarke does fill in, i anticipate a dream debut from him. Clarke is one of the best all-round youngsters in the game , and he deserves his baggy green, if he does get it.

Mr. P

International Vice-Captain
I think the selectors will probably call someone up to replace him. Not sure though, this is really annoying:(

Mister Wright

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Waughney said:
Damn you! My heart jumped for a second :w00t: :horse: :p
CW's Article
HaHa. Do you like how I did it underlined in blue, so people would think it was a link? :D

I don't think the selectors are leaning towards Gilchrist as captain. He will be mentally tired after being behind the stumps for close to 200 overs. The selectors would have announced him captain straight away if they were going to name him.

I wouldn't be surprised if they call on Steve Waugh and if he accepts, it is an important tour, so an established captain and player of Waugh's calabre can not be thrown out so lightly. Also, Waugh has stated publicly that India is his 'final frontier' and what fitting way for him to finish his career again with revenge against India in India.

If they don't go for Waugh, I think Lehmann & Hayden and maybe Langer (doubtful) will be the leading candidates.

tooextracool

International Coach
Mister Wright said:
I wouldn't be surprised if they call on Steve Waugh and if he accepts, it is an important tour, so an established captain and player of Waugh's calabre can not be thrown out so lightly. Also, Waugh has stated publicly that India is his 'final frontier' and what fitting way for him to finish his career again with revenge against India in India.

If they don't go for Waugh, I think Lehmann & Hayden and maybe Langer (doubtful) will be the leading candidates.
really? IMO the only reason waugh retired before india was because he was under pressure from the selectors , waugh himself hinted at it when he suggested in the post match interview that he thought he was good enough to be able to carry on for another year or so.....

Waughney

International Debutant
HaHa. Do you like how I did it underlined in blue, so people would think it was a link?
That was what got me.
I don't think the selectors are leaning towards Gilchrist as captain.
I'm pretty sure that he will be the replacement. He is vice-captain and has a few games experience. I seriously doubt they would throw Hayden in. Lehman will certainly be playing a role in setting feilds etc. as he is a senior member of the team. However, Gilly is second in line and will get the nod.

Waughney

International Debutant
tooextracool said:
really? IMO the only reason waugh retired before india was because he was under pressure from the selectors , waugh himself hinted at it when he suggested in the post match interview that he thought he was good enough to be able to carry on for another year or so.....
As much as I hate to admit it, his desicion to retire was greatly influenced by the selectors and their pressure on him.