• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Ricky Ponting out of First Test

Craig

World Traveller
Mister Wright said:
HaHa. Do you like how I did it underlined in blue, so people would think it was a link? :D

I don't think the selectors are leaning towards Gilchrist as captain. He will be mentally tired after being behind the stumps for close to 200 overs. The selectors would have announced him captain straight away if they were going to name him.

I wouldn't be surprised if they call on Steve Waugh and if he accepts, it is an important tour, so an established captain and player of Waugh's calabre can not be thrown out so lightly. Also, Waugh has stated publicly that India is his 'final frontier' and what fitting way for him to finish his career again with revenge against India in India.

If they don't go for Waugh, I think Lehmann & Hayden and maybe Langer (doubtful) will be the leading candidates.
Gilchrist will get the nod, if not Lehmann.

Mr. P

International Vice-Captain
Yeah Gilly will get it. Can't see anyone other then him or MAYBE Lehmann getting it, but my tip is Gilchrist...:)

Mister Wright

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Craig said:
Gilchrist will get the nod.
So, are they calling up Secombe and playing Gilchrist as a batsman?

Trust me, as a keeper-captain last season, it is a tough job unless you rollock the team out for 34! If you're thinking about what to doin the field, generally a catch comes along and you spill it, or a stumping. Or if you're concentrating on your keeping, you miss something in the field. And I was only doing it in the lowest grade possible for senior cricket for Queensland. Gilchrist will have to do it in front of thousads of spectators, be out in the field for close to 200 overs in each test.

I still go by the assumption that if Gilchrist was going to be named captain he would have been named straight away, why wait? What is there to discuss? Maybe the fact that he will be keeping for a long time...

Waughney

International Debutant
Gilchrist is expected to get the captaincy because he is vice-captain and has captained Australia before.
That does not by any means make it 100% certain he will be captain, the only other replacement I can see id Lehamn.
Trust me, as a keeper-captain last season, it is a tough job unless you rollock the team out for 34! If you're thinking about what to doin the field, generally a catch comes along and you spill it, or a stumping. Or if you're concentrating on your keeping, you miss something in the field. And I was only doing it in the lowest grade possible for senior cricket for Queensland. Gilchrist will have to do it in front of thousads of spectators, be out in the field for close to 200 overs in each test.
He already does think and act like a captain. If you watch a game, you will constantly see him changing fields and chatting with Ponting. Sure there definitely will be added pressure, but he can handle it.

Craig

World Traveller
Mister Wright said:
So, are they calling up Secombe and playing Gilchrist as a batsman?

I still go by the assumption that if Gilchrist was going to be named captain he would have been named straight away, why wait? What is there to discuss? Maybe the fact that he will be keeping for a long time...
Gilchrist would get it because he has done it before and as a one off.

luckyeddie

Cricket Web Staff Member
Mister Wright said:
HaHa. Do you like how I did it underlined in blue, so people would think it was a link? :D
<Richard mode>

Tchoh!!! It didn't go red when I hovered the mouse pointer over it. Completely spoiled the effect for me. I was only looking at a video (Betamax - not one of those ridiculous VHS ones) a few days ago on my 1993 model television set - the best one ever made - a 'Caddick' - and it indicated there that there was this language which was going to be developed called Hypertext something something something - 'HSSS' they called it. Well, I don't believe that any supposed link which doesn't go from blue to red will deceive anyone except by luck. You've had your first chance.

</Richard mode>

<quack> It fooled LE too

SJS

Hall of Fame Member
If he is not out of the entire tour, there is no reason to have anyone but the Vice Captain stand in.

Simon

Request Your Custom Title Now!
was there really any doubt as to who would be the captain?
in case anyone didnt know, brad hodge has apparently been called up to replace ponting, however as i said in the other thread, its unlikely he will play anyway...

Steulen

International Regular
So...who will play then? Assuming Katich keeps his place at 6, will Clarke or Hodge get the nod? And will the chosen one go in at three or will Martyn bat first down?

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
luckyeddie said:
Not at all - Aussies losing their captain is a big issue and deserves a thread all of its own.
Well, maybe if they'd lost him for more than one tour, yes, but given that he's only predicted to miss a single match, I'd say it should be centralised in the thread where that match is supposed to be discussed.

Sudeep

International Captain
Mister Wright said:
Actually, you used light blue, and our links are supposed to be dark navy blue...

:smartass:

:p

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
My reaction was:
Hmm, doesn't look convincing, not quite the right blue - no, doesn't change change to red and the cursor doesn't change to the hand - looked something of an unconvincing one story, anyway.