• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Your Weirdest Backyard Rule?

wellAlbidarned

International Coach
Rule 1: don't hit the ball into the angry Asians living next door

Rule 2: don't hit the ball into the angry Asians living next door

Rule 3: don't hit the ball into the angry Asians living next door

weldone

Hall of Fame Member
No runs behind the wicket.

If your six crosses a fence about 5 feet away from the boundary line, it's not a six- it's out.

If you hit the ball inside a bush situated near the long off, it's compulsory 3 runs - you don't need to run, and you will face the next ball unless the compulsory runs came off the last ball of the over.

If a below-10 years old kid bowls 3 wides/no-balls on a trot, the over is cancelled and a grown-up player can start the over afresh.

10 runs are scored if you can send the ball in the rooftop of the nearby 8-storeyed building.

There are no LBWs, but you can't take off-stump guard (or outside).

If batsman hits a glass window, it's out. If a fielder hits a glass window it's end of day's play with enough fights and the fielder is suspended from the game for at least next 7 days.

If the number of players in 2 teams don't match (5 players in a team vs 6 players in the other for example), the worst batsman in the team with lower players gets to bat twice.

You can't bowl underarm unless you are Trevor Chappell.

Last edited:

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
We can't throw stuff when playing backyard cricket.
Yeah, was the rule when I was a kid too. You couldn't throw anything at the other players, especially if they were batting, or you'd concede penalty runs. Before we brought in that rule players used to throw all sorts of **** at the batsman to put him off - gum-nuts, grass etc and eventually even shoes, which saw to the introduction of the eventual rule after a shoe cost me a match to the shoe-thrower.

The rule essentially got me a win though one day, as I was four runs short of victory when I was dismissed before one of the fielders decided to throw gum-nuts at me to stop one of the other players, who he was having a tiff with, from winning.

Rules had to be tinkered again after that.

Good times.

LFD

School Boy/Girl Captain
We get a tennis ball and put tape round half of the ball. This obviously makes it swing and more fun.

Agent Nationaux

International Coach
If the ball hit the fence without bouncing - out

2 runs for the garden boundary and 4 runs for the garage door.

We had a tree for a wicket and being bowled anywhere on the tree would be out.

The neighbours fence behind the tree wicket was keeper, so edging it anywhere would be out.

2 bounces would be called a dead ball

morgieb

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Yeah, was the rule when I was a kid too. You couldn't throw anything at the other players, especially if they were batting, or you'd concede penalty runs. Before we brought in that rule players used to throw all sorts of **** at the batsman to put him off - gum-nuts, grass etc and eventually even shoes, which saw to the introduction of the eventual rule after a shoe cost me a match to the shoe-thrower.

The rule essentially got me a win though one day, as I was four runs short of victory when I was dismissed before one of the fielders decided to throw gum-nuts at me to stop one of the other players, who he was having a tiff with, from winning.

Rules had to be tinkered again after that.

Good times.
That post I made was taking the piss out of you :p

We never had any weird backyard cricket rules apart from the fact that we always bowled underarm.

Hurricane

Hall of Fame Member
Not really back yard cricket but we had epic tournaments when I was growing up. We would haul a hockey net behind a cricket pitch and have one on one tournaments. Any shot behind square on the full was out. 5 overs to slog as many runs as you could. It would take about 45 minutes to bowl the 5 overs because there were no fielders and you had to walk to the boundary to pick up the ball.

You would pick a country to represent. And each bowler who bowled had to have a different bowling action that you would invent.