• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Your Weirdest Backyard Rule?

lachlan43

School Boy/Girl Cricketer
Having not actually played a decent game of backyard cricket since moving house, I'll go with what we had at my old house.

Driveway games: Top edging over the roof was 3 runs down to third man/fine leg.

Backyard games: Hitting the hot water system on the full was out, but hitting the concrete slab that it was on or hitting it on the bounce was automatically fielded, and applause from players and crowd alike for the good fielding before play could continue.

Shri

Mr. Glass
Batsman is given out if he does'nt hit the ball for 3 consecutive deliveries. A bit like baseball tbh.

Incey

Cricket Spectator
Hmm, I suppose mine would me, in the pool (without coming off any other object like a wall etc) is out.

spinwiz95

Cricket Spectator
We have something similar, but you have to run on the third delivery (thats where some dirty tactics come into play. We also play if the ball bounces twice and you then headbutt it the batter is out, however its best not to use this when playing with a hard cricket ball.

mat

School Boy/Girl Cricketer
The wierdest(stupidest) rule i play with is that you are out if you hit it into the garden, which is on a right handers leg-side. Being only one metre behind the batter running the entirity of the pitch to the back 'boundary' it eliminates any flick shots of your 'pads', giving the bowler the luxury of bowling on leg stump all-day. Results in some pretty interesting shots being invented.

neobuxadmin

Cricket Spectator
Our rules were scary :D...No wicketkeeper, no shots onthe leg-side, if the ball hit any car directly ur out, if caught after one bounce your out, etc. etc. :D :D

oitoitoi

State Vice-Captain
we had a lot of odd rules, but nothing as odd as the Mahesh rule. we had a mate called Mahesh who was a diabolically bad bowler, and in our yard cricket every person on your team bowled in succession, but the one exception was that you only had to give mahesh 1 over, we played 4 ball overs and anything less than 18 off a Mahesh over was considered a failure! yard cricket is the truest form of the game IMO, the real essence of it.

the duckman

Cricket Spectator
when we play at the cricket club the rules go:
(a) you can either be caught, stumped, bowled, run out
(b) it's bat down so run outs/stumpings are a common occurance
(c) anything on the full is out other than the concrete ie, bins, poles, garden bed, the oval, the fence, the grass etc..
(d) it's one hand one bounce and its also two bounce headbutt makes for some interesting dives
(e) we have a keeper so no auto wicki, the batting order starts as bowler goes to batter keeper to bowler slip to keeper offside to slip legside to offside and batsman to legside
(f) no lbw's

the object really is survival especially with 15 odd people playing at times but has made for some great fun

SpeedStar

Cricket Spectator
Our backyard cricket rules:
- To spinners you have to charge twice an over.
- We film each of us batting and see who has played better, next game that person bats first.
- LBW's, Catches, Stumpings, Double Hit ect.. all normal rules.

kingkallis

International Coach
I used to play so much like Jimmy PADams back in 90s, when we were kids. So my cousins and other friends set the following rule :

Ball hit your legs thrice and you have to retire out ;)

rory2812

Cricket Spectator
Weirdest Rules

We had a couple
ONe was One hand one bounce was half out.
Another one was, when we were playing down the coast, if you hit it on the roof of the opposite apartments (only about 40 metres away) it was 100 runs.
Another rule at the coast was that if it landed in one of the garden patches(on the full) on the opposite aparments you were not out but if it didn't you were.

Red

The normal awards that everyone else has
We used to have the now politically incorrect "poofter" rule. If you fail to play a shot to more than "two balls" in a row, you were "out".