• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Your Weirdest Backyard Rule?

33/3from3.3

International Vice-Captain
hit the ball up so it hit a 30-foot-in-the-air and 1-foot-thick tree then it bounces back and you catch yourself out = 111 runs + not out

rolande

School Boy/Girl Captain
one of my rules is if u can hit a tennis ball on the full past the 150 foot high trees with brances yeah theres 2 off them and over a wheelbarrow which is about 65 metres = 12 runs and we also have 1 hand 1 bounce and if u hit it one a roof and it rolls off and is caught its out

mdunn27

Cricket Spectator
Used to play with the neighbours...

Hit over their fence, not out
Hit over the other side neighbours fence, not out if ball retrieved
Hit over the over 2 fences with the big, huge dogs, not out and a second life if you got the ball (which never happened!)

Park Rules

Over the road on on-side - 25 runs
Over the road on off-side - 40 runs
Over the road straight - 50 runs
Hit top pf telegraph pole - 1 million (happened once)

Noman Shaikh

Cricket Spectator
If the ball goes inside the building in the right or left directly, then you are out..

If the ball hits your body twice, anywhere then you are gone.

simmy

International Regular
Ball hits above your waist then you are out.

Really good rule actually, makes the mix up where he is aiming.

theoneandonly

Cricket Spectator
Hit the ball onto the roof = 12runs
Hit the ball over the roof without touching it = 20runs

Also you have two deck chairs to use as fielders, you can place them where you want and if the ball hits the top half of the chair at a catchable speed you're out.

kelgy

Cricket Spectator
kelgy

i used 2 play with an apple if we couldnt find a ball and if u smashed the into little pieces u were out but if u make it past the bowler without it breaking u would get 50 runs

edofmund

Cricket Spectator
I once read about a navy game; what better way to spend your shore leave in foreign lands than with a bit of beach cricket? Unfortunately, it was terribly hot, and as the afternoon wore on everyone got tired of playing. The last wicket seemed to last forever. Eventually, the brave slogger who was holding up the game chopped a lofted square cut into the sea, where the ball was promptly swallowed by a shark.

The umpire called him out - caught "Shark".

Other curiosities: my cat chases cricket balls but he never stays put and gets called for interference all too frequently.

edofmund

Cricket Spectator
kelgy said:
i used 2 play with an apple if we couldnt find a ball and if u smashed the into little pieces u were out but if u make it past the bowler without it breaking u would get 50 runs
In Dominica they play with a lemon for a ball, lemon branches for bats, and milk bottles for wickets - it's actually quite fun!

mikaelnorm

Cricket Spectator
Hit the fence it's 4, hit the fence without bouncing it's 6, over the fence it's out. Any attacking shot that doesn't get you out or hit the fence scores 1. Each innings lasts 18 overs, and you have ten wickets. A good score is around the 200 mark. Hit any of the bushes (or chairs or upright spades or anything else we scatter round the yard) you're out caught. We play with a trampoline turned on its side to stop the ball if the batsman misses - edge it onto the black bits of the trampoline and you're caught behind. If the ball hits the trampoline without an edge and you were beyond the flat skipping rope (crease), you're out stumped. LBW applies no matter where the ball pitches, as long as it would have hit the stumps. Hit wicket, bowled, handled ball and hit ball twice as normal. Only spin bowling or slow-medium seam is allowed: we play with real balls and bowl from only 12 yards due to garden size limits. Six of the 18 overs must be bowled with the weaker hand. "Caught and dropped" - seen as me and BC mates are so utterly hopeless at catching, if you spill a caught and bowled chance the batsman is out anyway, as most decent cricketers would have caught it. Makes no sense I know! After every six overs players take a fag break. If light becomes too bad, we dont' care. It's the perfect formula for BC. Playing the BBC Cricket theme on a continuous loop is optional.

Chris Riddell

Cricket Spectator
Our pitch makes things interesting to begin with. There are bumps and divots everywhere, and any balls pitched anywhere on line with off stump will typically veer violently toward leg, or at your head. Any other ball pitched on a good length will almost roll towards you.

Our very special rules:

1. Hit the lone stump at the bowler's end - 5 runs
2. Any ball which rolls along the ground (quite a common occurance when the overhanging tree gets in the way), the bastman can throw the ball in the air and whack it.
3. Over the fence is out IF the fielder gets the ball before the batsman - leads to rugby games sometimes.
4. Anything that is lying around can be used as a fielder (i.e. balls caught in trees - OUT, balls caught on lawn chairs - OUT, balls in wheelbarrows...you get the idea.)
5. Chucking is permitted, providing the ball is not above waist height. It was the only way I could get my brother out. Sad really.

This final rule would get the RSPCA offside, but:
6. Hit the cat on the full, 10 runs. (And pay any medical bills)

Last edited:

Stumped

Banned
Hit the dog on the full its OUT!, but the dog hasnt yet managed to actual catch the ball in her mouth although she fields, she walks in with the bowler and fields the ball, but rarely gives it back to the bowler:laugh:

The Foxtrot

U19 12th Man
If in the circumstances the scores are even and wickets are too then the game leads to a bowling shootout. The player that one the toss also gets to choose who bowls first. The player bowls on the standard pitch, if he wits the wickets thats one point. after 5 turns each the player with the higher score wins the match. If in the circumstances that the score is still tied after the 5 turns, then it turns to sudden death. therefore if the first player hits the wickets on his ball and the second player misses than the first player wins. If the first player misses and the second player misses then they go again. If the first player misses and the second player hits then the second player wins.

If this is confusing than imagine a penalty shootout in soccer.

Butterteeth

School Boy/Girl Cricketer
Lemon trees and the dog

Used to have about 4 lemon trees - good fielders those Citrus - hit it on the full to a lemon tree and you were gone....and most of the time you were.

Bucket of fresh water at bowling end to clean off dog slobber - Of course this was completely optional. Dog slobber makes a tennis ball do remarkable things but the spray coming off the ball as it nears the batsman (or woman) is "marvellous" 8-)

booders91

Cricket Spectator
1- If the batter is running and you hit them with the ball they are out.

2- You have to take risks

3- If found cheating, your score gets wiped.

Stumped

Banned
We have a brick wall at about .....a fine bat pad and we called it boony, hit it on the full and ur out