• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Is Sachin a genius?

sir middle stump

School Boy/Girl Captain
I mean....look at his miserable record in the last ten finals India has played...an average of just under 20....and he hasnt really won India any matches outside the sub-continent in 11 years of his career...he seems to falter in pressure situations.....what do you guys think?

luckyeddie

Cricket Web Staff Member
Is he a genius?
Probably not (genius is a measure of intelligence, not ability, and requires an extremely high IQ for qualification). Like many words, it has been hi-jacked (that's another word that's been hi-jacked too :D) to have a meaning other than it's original.

It he a wonderful, magnificent, brilliant, diplomatic, approachable representative of a great sport?
I think that you would have to look very hard to find anyone who disagrees.

Can he still cut it outside the sub-continent?
We're about to find out.

Am I a pedant?
Undoubtedly. 8D

Neil Pickup

Cricket Web Moderator
As Edward said. Verbatum (apart from the grammatical error on the "it's" in the first paragraph. Possessive = No apostrophe...)

luckyeddie

Cricket Web Staff Member
lolrotf

I think that the word is actually spelt 'Verbatim', derived from the Latin 'Verbum' and 'Literatim' :D :D

He is an exceptional player, all the same.

[Edited on 7/23/02 by luckyeddie]

LankanPrince

School Boy/Girl Captain
Sachin Tendulkar may be a great cricketer but he is not a genius cricketer. He is still susceptible early on in his innings and struggles to raise the level of his game out of a patch of bad form. This was evident when India played West Indies. :O

Eclipse

International Debutant
Hes a brilliant player thats all i can say

or tho there are infact batsman who play much better than him under pressure.

Top_Cat

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Sachin is the only player I've seen who can put together technique, natural talent and mental toughness all at once. He's not the most naturally gifted player I've seen (close, but not quite) but his technique is pretty much impeccable and his mental toughness is unquestioned. He's worked VERY VERY hard to get to where he is now and rightly is one of the best ever.

So in terms of natural talent I'd say he's not a genius but the whole player points to someone who's just exceedingly GOOD at what he does. Better than anyone else around right now.

Very Faa-Kin Farkney

Cricket Spectator
I mean....look at his miserable record in the last ten finals India has played...an average of just under 20....and he hasnt really won India any matches outside the sub-continent in 11 years of his career...he seems to falter in pressure situations.....what do you guys think?
Ahhhh you've read Mike Atherton's article in the Daily Telegraph too. I think he is completely over rated. Quality player, quality technique - but he doesn't win games for India when they are almost certainly heading for defeat. Bevan v the kiwis earlier this year, Steve Waugh against the Windies when he scored 200 a couple of years ago........ those are great innings.

Tendulkar is fantastic - but don't get him to bat for your life.

scorpio

U19 Cricketer
may be next week i will do a thread abt sachin and his so called inability to handle pressure. Tht should stop this kind of ignorant replies abt sachins skills..

[Edited on 7/25/02 by scorpio]

Cybersmurf

U19 Cricketer
not exactly a genius but agreeing with top cat i just think he has pure natural ability. his century and half century count tells it all, no matter how bad someone thinks he is, some one with that many centurys cannot be remotely bad no matter wat any one says

Tim

Cricketer Of The Year
If you want to be really picky, you could ask which countries he has scored all those centuries against, but I have a feeling he's got a good ratio over all the teams.

scorpio

U19 Cricketer
If you want to be really picky, you could ask which countries he has scored all those centuries against, but I have a feeling he's got a good ratio over all the teams.
tim: be assuered. He has a good record against all teams both home and away...
It is in comparison to himself that sachin fails..