• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

An Ageing Indian Side

SJS

Hall of Fame Member
The cream of Indian batting is 30 and above. Laxman will be 30 next month. Tendulkar, Dravid and Ganguly are all older with Ganguly oldest at 32.

Sehwag (26), Yuvraj (23) and Kaif(24) are younger but only Sehwag has seemed like a world class player so far and he too has limitations.

Clearly there is need for young blood and promising young blood at that if India is not to slip back to the bottom again. For the sake of Indian cricket, there needs to be sensible but planned induction of some fresh faces.

Not persisting with Chopras, Badanis and others (all of whom have one thing in common that they have neither sponsors nor very exciting faces) may mean that we have to start afresh with the induction and 'breaking in' process.

Deja moo

International Captain
The Aussies team has an average age higher than Indias , and they arent doing too badly now.

But I agree with the point about induction of new faces .It will be a huge void to fill when Sachin , Ganguly , Dravid retire at the same time , being the same age .

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
Its obviously inevitable that Sachin, Dravid, Laxman and Ganguly will eventually retire, and it will be a big loss but I am not concerned at all right now. They've still got a few years left, and as Deja Moo said, the Aussies are doing mighty fine right now.

India will have to obviously introduce new talent, but I feel reasonably confident with Kaif, Yuvraj and Sehwag. Yes, a rebuilding process will definitely have to occur when those 4 big guns are gone, but it doesn't worry me right now. I'm more concerned for our bowling future right now.

SJS

Hall of Fame Member
Deja moo said:
The Aussies team has an average age higher than Indias , and they arent doing too badly now.

QUOTE]

The Aussies have a very formidable bench strength. India Rohan Gavaskar as replacement for an injured Sachin :)

V Reddy

International Debutant
It's also not possible to drop those 3 as they are doing quite well but it is the others who are not doing well. I feel slowly the burden should be moved from those veterans to the younger ones by moving them up the order and those 3 batting shifting to the middle . I wouldn't consider Laxman that vital a player in the onedayers who is that hard to replace. He can only bat at 3 and if at any time loses his form , then he will dropped b'coz he is not upto intl standards in other areas

V Reddy

International Debutant
SJS said:
Deja moo said:

QUOTE]

The Aussies have a very formidable bench strength. India Rohan Gavaskar as replacement for an injured Sachin :)

It's a bit like Anthony Mcgrath of England. They both were picked from a lot behind the pipeline and both are not upto intl standard which everyone know except the team management. Would have been a perfect time to test a guy like Dinesh and his batting abilities which from what i have seen are much better than Rohan's.

SJS

Hall of Fame Member
Jono said:
Its obviously inevitable that Sachin, Dravid, Laxman and Ganguly will eventually retire, and it will be a big loss but I am not concerned at all right now. They've still got a few years left, and as Deja Moo said, the Aussies are doing mighty fine right now.

India will have to obviously introduce new talent, but I feel reasonably confident with Kaif, Yuvraj and Sehwag. Yes, a rebuilding process will definitely have to occur when those 4 big guns are gone, but it doesn't worry me right now. I'm more concerned for our bowling future right now.
Kaif and Yuvraj are no where near the potential that Ganguly, Dravid and Tendulkar posessed when they came.

Ganguly and Dravid came in with Tendulkar and Azhar still in the middle order besides Jadeja and what they did on debut and thereafter is well known.

Tendulkar came into a side which had Srikkanth, Siddhu, Manjrekar, Azhar, Shastri, Kapil, Prabhakar and still he forced his way into the test side and became a permanant fixture.

Yuvraj and Kaif have been around long enough to play 107 and 77 ODI's respectively but are nowhere near a permanent test cap. This is the point I am making. Thsy do not seem to have it in them to fill in the 'big boots'. We need a much larger pool to choose from and we cant do it at the last moment.

If India does not find a couple of very very good middle order batsmen in tests soon and get them into the side, there could be a big problem.

Also, Laxman and Ganguly may not last as long as Dravid and Sachin. Their reliance on hand eye coordination rather than sound techmique and concise footwork may mean a sudden decline. Only players with very solid technique last beyond mid 30's and srtill do well.

Last edited:

SJS

Hall of Fame Member
V Reddy said:
It's a bit like Anthony Mcgrath of England. They both were picked from a lot behind the pipeline and both are not upto intl standard which everyone know except the team management. Would have been a perfect time to test a guy like Dinesh and his batting abilities which from what i have seen are much better than Rohan's.
I agree with you. If Rohan's full name was Rohan Badani he may not have been picked in the first place.
- He is 28n years old
- Averages 18.8 in 11 ODI's at a strike rate of 62 (Agarkar averages 18 at 87.5 and he is a bowler. Pathan averages 17.5 at 75 per 100 balls)
- After the first match in which he bowled 9 overs, his captain has not considered him good enough for more than a grand total of 3 overs in 10 matches !!. Dusing these ten matches Ganguly himself bowled 32 overs and Sehwag another 20. So much for Rohan the bits and pieces player !

anzac

International Debutant
SJS said:
Kaif and Yuvraj are no where near the potential that Ganguly, Dravid and Tendulkar posessed when they came.

Ganguly and Dravid came in with Tendulkar and Azhar still in the middle order besides Jadeja and what they did on debut and thereafter is well known.

Tendulkar came into a side which had Srikkanth, Siddhu, Manjrekar, Azhar, Shastri, Kapil, Prabhakar and still he forced his way into the test side and became a permanant fixture.

Yuvraj and Kaif have been around long enough to play 107 and 77 ODI's respectively but are nowhere near a permanent test cap. This is the point I am making. Thsy do not seem to have it in them to fill in the 'big boots'. We need a much larger pool to choose from and we cant do it at the last moment.

If India does not find a couple of very very good middle order batsmen in tests soon and get them into the side, there could be a big problem.
valid points re the impact / potential of Kaif & Yuvraj, however most players would struggle to have an impact against the likes of the current big 4.............which I rate as good as anything IND has had for a very long time - even the side that Sachin forced his way into..............

both Kaif & Yuvraj are very good players IMO - the just have lacked the consistant run in the side to establish themselves as such.............

Sachin was / is an exceptional talent, & the side that Ganguly & Dravid joined was not as strong as the current lineup IMO...............

The Baconator

International Vice-Captain
india and australia are bth aging sides but australian have great young players with watson clarke and others but india dont have many good young players other than pathan

biased indian

International Coach
The Baconator said:
india and australia are bth aging sides but australian have great young players with watson clarke and others but india dont have many good young players other than pathan
can u name a couple of more others

V Reddy

International Debutant
The Baconator said:
Clarke is very good but i have doubts on others

FRAZ

International Captain
You know what I have said the same thing a little while ago ABOUT THE AGE FACTOR IN INDIAN TEAM.. In the new bunch , Kaif and Pathan are two excptional cricketers , I mean as usual they are not extraordinary but still they play by heart . Any ways slump time is there for India so lets see . Hmmm note down another thing of mine that Sehwag will be droped soon . I am just saying it . Remember I have also once predicted about Graeme Smith and South Africa and about Srilanka being the second best team in the world , SO trust me its gonna happen ....

Last edited:

Sehwag309

Banned
FRAZ said:
You know what I have said the same thing a little while ago ABOUT THE AGE FACTOR IN INDIAN TEAM.. In the new bunch , Kaif and Pathan are two excptional cricketers , I mean as usual they are not extraordinary but still they play by heart . Any ways slump time is there for India so lets see . Hmmm note down another thing of mine that Sehwag will be droped soon . I am just saying it . Remember I have also once predicted about Graeme Smith and South Africa and about Srilanka being the second best team in the world , SO trust me its gonna happen ....
Now FRAZ, start your daily hororscope page :D

Is Dish working and all?

FRAZ

International Captain
^Yeah man , Its wicked good now , I snatched the black card from some one and its good . lol I think I sure will start a horoscope page . Thanx a lot .

Slats4ever

International Vice-Captain
i don't think that age is really a problem in india. there are soo many cricketers over there and so much talent over there. I see it more as the administartors, coaching and confidence problem with indian cricket. They don't really seem to coach up there bowlers well enough and aren't consistant away from home. All the younger brigade will replace the "Tendulkars and Dravids" just fine. but I think that Indian cricket needs a good pace bowling dept.

maxpower

U19 Cricketer
I dont feel the side is ageing as the players who are old are batsmen and that does not effect as much if they were bowlers. The recent slump in IND performance in ODI i think is mainly due to 7 batsmen strategy that have finally been exposed. Ind who have a weak bowling attack to begin with and is further hampered with only 3 or max 4 bowlers. Ganguly probably realises this but probably does not want to add below average bowlers like (nehra etc) in the lineup and feels that any of his part time bowlers (sehwag, yuvraj, sachin) can do the job just as well. However as a down side, I feel that soon Pathan the only strike bowler will feel the extra burden and will either have fitness issues or his performance will be tested on the field. So the problem is not age but if not fixed will be a weak bowling heading towards a further low.

p.s whats the deal with dish and the black card ?

Sehwag309

Banned
FRAZ said:
^Yeah man , Its wicked good now , I snatched the black card from some one and its good . lol I think I sure will start a horoscope page . Thanx a lot .
Its called Atmega, don't bank on it. It wil be hit anytime with PPV events such as Cricket turned ON. Go for Plastic

maxpower

U19 Cricketer
Sehwag309 said:
Its called Atmega, don't bank on it. It wil be hit anytime with PPV events such as Cricket turned ON. Go for Plastic
googling atemga and plastic.......oh i see what atmega is what is plastic for dish?

FRAZ

International Captain
Sehwag309 said:
Rumour is there that Plastic ones are gonna be no good after december . This ones very good . And hey a question : Can it be possible to buy the card seperately . when ever I asked some one , he/she always said that reciever goes with that too . Price is f@#$ing 350 bucks . Too much man ... I juzz wanna get those damn 2-3 cards seperately from some where . And dun wanna pay a lot on them . Only making f@#$ing 15 bucks in a damn hour . thanx and stay kool . And remember I dont just inflamme around , I just make fun around . stay kool