• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

An Ageing Indian Side

Deja moo

International Captain
One thing I would like to point out is that this is precisely how Cricket followers in India must have felt around 1988-1990....

I can only assume that people must have worried about who would replace Gavaskar & Kapil Dev . Tendulkar and Srinath came along . Things always work out if you have a good structure in place .

From the present uncapped lot , Dheeraj Yadav (Jadhav?) , Ambati rayudu hold a lot of promise . Of course , it is highly unlikely we will ever see another Sachin/dravid , but they arent bad replacements .

Sehwag309

Banned
FRAZ said:
Rumour is there that Plastic ones are gonna be no good after december . This ones very good . And hey a question : Can it be possible to buy the card seperately . when ever I asked some one , he/she always said that reciever goes with that too . Price is f@#$ing 350 bucks . Too much man ... I juzz wanna get those damn 2-3 cards seperately from some where . And dun wanna pay a lot on them . Only making f@#$ing 15 bucks in a damn hour . thanx and stay kool . And remember I dont just inflamme around , I just make fun around . stay kool
will email

Deja moo

International Captain
One thing I would like to point out is that if any team has to worry about ageing , it is firstly Australia .

Their batting situation is much like Indias , with the main batsmen roughly of the same age.....the only difference being that they have clarke ( an exceptional player) , while India has still to find that new batsman capable of being the mainstay in the future .

On the bowling front however , Aus have it worse thn India , with their main bowlers like McGrath , Kasper , Gillespie , Warne all due to retire within the next 4 years IMO ( except maybe for gillespie . He would be 33 I think)

India on the other hand can rest assured on the bowling front , atleast agewise , with the new bowlers all being less than 25 years old . Only Kumble will be missed .

Sehwag309

Banned
Deja moo said:
One thing I would like to point out is that this is precisely how Cricket followers in India must have felt around 1988-1990....

I can only assume that people must have worried about who would replace Gavaskar & Kapil Dev . Tendulkar and Srinath came along . Things always work out if you have a good structure in place .

From the present uncapped lot , Dheeraj Yadav (Jadhav?) , Ambati rayudu hold a lot of promise . Of course , it is highly unlikely we will ever see another Sachin/dravid , but they arent bad replacements .

Dhoni, Paul, Jadhav etc

See the scorecards of Ind/Pak/Kenya A tournament

http://usa.cricinfo.com/db/ARCHIVE/2004/OTHERS/KTT/SCORECARDS/

FRAZ

International Captain
Deja moo said:
Go on go on 7 left in 2000 posts . COngrats in advance my friend . I hope you ll stay here asd long as Ill stay here . stay kool healthy and happy . ....

Deja moo

International Captain
An interesting thing is that Jadhav prefers Opening . Yuvraj might not play test cricket for another 4 years or so if he doesnt get his act together now.

Last edited:

SJS

Hall of Fame Member
Deja moo said:
An interesting thing is that Jadhav prefers Opening . Yuvraj might not play test cricket for another 4 years or so if he doesnt get his act together now.
Yuvraj has none of the requisites to be a test opener. Talking about him as opener is a blatant attempt by Ganguly to get a favourite into the test side for which he took the first step by dropping Akaash Chopra.

Yuvraj's place in the Indian test side can come only at the expense of Laxman at present. Getting him to open against weaker opposition or on flat beds of India wont prove anything. Many batsmen have prospered as part time openers in India and been exposed elsewhere. Nayan Mongia's 151 against Australia is a prime example.

Sehwag309

Banned
Deja moo said:
if Sachin is ot fit for 1st test, don't you think he will play

Or U think they will go with Chopra/Sehwag

Deja moo

International Captain
Good point .I hadnt given thought to that ...But the newspaper today reported that Sachin might play for Mumbai after all in the tour game vs Aus .

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
Sehwag309 said:

If SRT plays the Test, then Yuvraj will almost certainly (wrongly) open.

SJS

Hall of Fame Member
Sehwag309 said:

I think they should go with Chopra and Sehwag, followed by Dravid, Laxman and Ganguly. That makes five.

At the bottom put Nehra, Pathan and Harbhajan Nad either Kumble or Agarkar plus a keeper and that makes another five. That leaves number six spot vacant (assuming , of course, that Sachin is unfit). Yuvraj could (and probably will) fill that spot but there is no reason not to consider Kaif. Anyway, it still is a temporary place till Sachin returns.

To cement his place he has to outperform Laxman in the opportunities he gets.

SJS

Hall of Fame Member
marc71178 said:
If SRT plays the Test, then Yuvraj will almost certainly (wrongly) open.
You mean if SRT plays, he will open and if SRT doesnt play he will come in at six ?

SJS

Hall of Fame Member
marc71178 said:
That's what I fear will happen.
You may well be right. But it just proves what I have always suspected, Saurav wants him in the test side at any cost. Otherwise if he has to open, he msut open irrespective of SRT playing or not. SRT is not going to open in tests anyway.

Deja moo

International Captain
SJS said:
You may well be right. But it just proves what I have always suspected, Saurav wants him in the test side at any cost. Otherwise if he has to open, he msut open irrespective of SRT playing or not. SRT is not going to open in tests anyway.

But surely Yuvrajs performance of late must have sown some seeds of doubt in Souravs mind ?

SJS

Hall of Fame Member
Deja moo said:
But surely Yuvrajs performance of late must have sown some seeds of doubt in Souravs mind ?
I think it has more to do with sponsors than form :)