• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Cricket: Art or Science?

Swervy

International Captain
What do you think?

Do you prefer seeing cricket as a work of art,an opportunity for players to show off their creative flair,where players can work off hunches and instinct....or do you see the game broken down into a series of mechanical processes based on logic and statistics etc.

I think it is a combination of both but I do prefer the art of the game.

Please discuss :D

BoyBrumby

Englishman
Isn't it a sport? ;)

Sorry. Couldn't resist & would like to apologise unreservedly for the v poor quality of that joke.

Swervy

International Captain
BoyBrumby said:
Isn't it a sport? ;)

Sorry. Couldn't resist & would like to apologise unreservedly for the v poor quality of that joke.
apology accepted.... :D

Cricket is more than a sport to me though...

For example Football (soccer) is a sport, but thats all i see it as..just a bunch of blokes running around for 90 minutes kicking a ball.

I see the art in rugby a bit.

But cricket just seems to have more scope for lateral thought and flair, maybe it because there is a gap of half a minute of so between each piece of play, it allows more thought to go into it.

luckyeddie

Cricket Web Staff Member
I'll go along with BoyBrumby - just a sport, but a wonderful one to watch or play.
I'll qualify that a little further - it used to even be held up as the measure or definition of fair play (It's not cricket, old boy, fair play, straight bat, 'oops' - oh sorry, that's Chris Gayle), although that is a title which belongs to golf now.

Swervy

International Captain
luckyeddie said:
I'll go along with BoyBrumby - just a sport, but a wonderful one to watch or play.
I'll qualify that a little further - it used to even be held up as the measure or definition of fair play (It's not cricket, old boy, fair play, straight bat, 'oops' - oh sorry, that's Chris Gayle), although that is a title which belongs to golf now.
yes it is just a sport but there must be one thing (or maybe there isnt) that particularly attracts you to the game

luckyeddie

Cricket Web Staff Member
Swervy said:
yes it is just a sport but there must be one thing (or maybe there isnt) that particularly attracts you to the game
the bit that came after that.... "A wonderful one to watch or play".

I don't know why.

BoyBrumby

Englishman
I think there's room for the artist & the artisan in cricket.

There can be great aesthetic joy in the gloriously executed cover drive (I've always loved Ramprakash's myself) or a ripping leggie deceiving a batter (obviously Warne's to Gatt sticks out in the memory) & one can also admire the stout yeomanish qualities of a bowler like McGrath pounding in over after over with unfailing accuracy. I definitely think fast & fast-medium bowlers are the tradesmen of cricket. It's certainly the most physically demanding discipline.

I don't know the stats, but when there was the old player/gentleman divide I would guess that the vast majority were players.

Scaly piscine

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
luckyeddie said:
A title which belongs to golf???? I do remember the Americans acting like halfwits when they last won the Ryder Cup. Other than that there are no situations in golf where fair play etc. can come into it, may as well just say the title belongs with swimming or something.

luckyeddie

Cricket Web Staff Member
Scaly piscine said:
A title which belongs to golf???? I do remember the Americans acting like halfwits when they last won the Ryder Cup. Other than that there are no situations in golf where fair play etc. can come into it, may as well just say the title belongs with swimming or something.
Let's just ignore the Americans on the rare occasions they actually get near to winning the Ryder Cup, but yes, golf.

It's the only professional self-regulating sport where the player calls the fouls and penalties against themselves.

Scaly piscine

luckyeddie said:
Let's just ignore the Americans on the rare occasions they actually get near to winning the Ryder Cup, but yes, golf.

It's the only professional self-regulating sport where the player calls the fouls and penalties against themselves.
I agree with ignoring Americans, but Snooker has far more fair play.

luckyeddie

Cricket Web Staff Member
Scaly piscine said:
It's as much a sport as golf is
No, Golf involves a certain amount of perambulation.

You want to try playing Chevin on a summer's day when it's sauna-hot. Mountaineers never had it so tough.

Scaly piscine

luckyeddie said:
No, Golf involves a certain amount of perambulation.

You want to try playing Chevin on a summer's day when it's sauna-hot. Mountaineers never had it so tough.
Oh yea, I'd forgotten what an athlete Colin Montgomery was

luckyeddie

Cricket Web Staff Member
Scaly piscine said:
Oh yea, I'd forgotten what an athlete Colin Montgomery was
Not American, are you? That's the type of reply which has been posted on **** many times today.
7 singles matches, 5 wins, 2 draws, 0 defeats.

Scaly piscine

luckyeddie said:
Chess?
Ballroom Dancing?
That's the sort of pointless comment I'd expect from Richard, those are nothing like snooker. As for chess... horrible and useless game, much prefer Scrabble as at least you can learn words like oogonium that can come in handy sometimes...