• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Steve Harmison pulls out of Zimbabwe tour

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
luckyeddie said:
Any decision made out of conscience is never a futile gesture, even if all it does is lets the person concerned sleep a little easier.
True.
And I repeat I'd never feel easy going to Zimbabwe or having come back.
It's never futile from the point of simply "this is not something I want to do".
But it is almost certainly futile from the point of view of attempting to make a difference in Zimbabwe.

biased indian

International Coach
harmison should have pulled out of the game aganist Zim in the champions trophy why didnt he do that???? :wacko: :wacko:

Last edited:

Sanz

Hall of Fame Member
biased indian said:
harmison should have pulled out of the game aganist Zim in the champions trpohy why didnt he do that???? :wacko: :wacko:
1. That might have risked England's place in the Semis
2. The amount of money it would have cost ECB (Organizer of the current ICC CT).

So much for the gesture, Really. 8-)

superkingdave

Hall of Fame Member
Sanz said:
1. That might have risked England's place in the Semis
2. The amount of money it would have cost ECB (Organizer of the current ICC CT).

So much for the gesture, Really. 8-)
1) No it wouldn't have
2) Why would it have cost them money if Harmison didn't play?
3) Dont post Rubbish

superkingdave

Hall of Fame Member
biased indian said:
then y the hell did he play???? :wacko:
Because its not about playing against Zimabwe its about going to a country where people are dying because their rulers wont let them be given food and living in probable luxury for a couple of weeks whilst the government make as much capital as possible out of it.

Well that IMO anyway

Sanz

Hall of Fame Member
superkingdave said:
1) No it wouldn't have
2) Why would it have cost them money if Harmison didn't play?
3) Dont post Rubbish
If my post is rubbish, then why bother responding ? :p

Sanz

Hall of Fame Member
superkingdave said:
Because its not about playing against Zimabwe its about going to a country where people are dying because their rulers wont let them be given food and living in probable luxury for a couple of weeks whilst the government make as much capital as possible out of it.

Well that IMO anyway
Rubbish !! If anyone wants to take a stand, he/she should take it regardless of the importance/place of the match. This zimbabwe team represents the same ZCU and it doesn't really matter where they play or who they play.

And Please dont make us look like we are supporters of Robert Mugabe regime.

Son Of Coco

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Richard said:
MacGill said he wouldn't go on a tour that didn't happen.
Harmison has said he won't go on a tour that looks all but certain to happen.
When MacGill said he wasn't going the tour was going ahead, same as England with Harmison. So if the England tour is called off between now and when it is supposed to occur then Harmison's gesture becomes futile too?

I think you have to look at what was happening at the time they made their decisions Richard, not what happened after the fact. You seem to throw things together quite well in hindsight.

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
Richard said:
MacGill said he wouldn't go on a tour that didn't happen.
At the time it was going to go ahead.

Richard said:
Harmison has said he won't go on a tour that looks all but certain to happen.
It's exactly the same as the MacGill - when he made it it looked more than likely to go ahead.

Sanz

Hall of Fame Member
Oh now Freddie Flintoff joins the party. Let's see how many more players have a change of heart all at a sudden.

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
Is it confirmed about Flintoff?

To be honest, I think we will see a few drop out by the deadline.

One thing though, I can't recall a squad being named, so how do players pull out?

Some fringe players wouldn't want to say they're pulling out because they don't even know they'll be in to pull out in the first place!

Mister Wright

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
marc71178 said:

One thing though, I can't recall a squad being named, so how do players pull out?

Some fringe players wouldn't want to say they're pulling out because they don't even know they'll be in to pull out in the first place!

Perhaps 'pulling out' is the wrong term, rather 'making unavailable' as MacGill did in australia's case is the correct way to put it, because you are right, there has been no squad selected, so they can't 'pull out'. But it would be a wild gambler who would tip both Harmisson & Flintoff to not be selected in the original squad.

luckyeddie

Cricket Web Staff Member
Mister Wright said:
Perhaps 'pulling out' is the wrong term, rather 'making unavailable' as MacGill did in australia's case is the correct way to put it, because you are right, there has been no squad selected, so they can't 'pull out'. But it would be a wild gambler who would tip both Harmisson & Flintoff to not be selected in the original squad.
On the contrary.

For a completely meaningless one-day international tournament, and given the facts that these two are our 'crown jewels' and there's series to come against South Africa and Australia, I would hope that they wouldn't have been selected anyway (or just given the odd game if they were).

anzac

International Debutant
Langeveldt said:
I am hoping a lot (and i mean lot) of others follow, to give this piece of rubbish even less credibility than it deserves, and our esteemed global administrators with even more egg on their faces
good on him.................

I remember us talking along the same lines re MacGill & the AUS tour..............

Sanz

Hall of Fame Member
marc71178 said:

Cricinfo report says that players are given a deadline untill the ICC CT final. Players have to decide before that, ECB will announce the squad only after that.

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
Sanz said:
Cricinfo report says that players are given a deadline untill the ICC CT final. Players have to decide before that, ECB will announce the squad only after that.
Oh well, on today's showing, we don't need him or Harmison anyway! ;)

Craig

World Traveller
Richard said:
A few names plucked from the blue, there - 4 of them wouldn't even get into my best county side of theirs.
And Anthony McGrath's not an opener any more - hasn't been for 6 years.
Why not this:
M Robbins
E Sanders (something like that - isn't it???)
R El-Heath
? (insert)
? (insert)
R Hingston (yeah, I know, you'd prefer play for South Africa - but tough)
R Tywman
P Young (wk)
T Halsey
N Pickup
R Dickinson (cpt)
Apologies if I've got anyone out of position.
Though of course I'm only joking - as I've already said, I wouldn't go to Zimbabwe to do anything if you paid me for it and I'm sure most would feel the same.
And I also know the might of Chigumbura, Utseya, Taibu et al would be greatful for a game to go into as favourites.
But it would be almost equally plucked from obscurity!
And you forgot Chris Hinton, the only person to rate Kadeer Ali outside of Worcestershire CC selectors (since they keep picking him all the time), his family, and maybe his club.