• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Chris Read another chance?

savill

School Boy/Girl Captain
Gilchrist bats at 7 and him and Flintoff are similar players, so I see no reason why he can't drop down. In an ideal situation, if we had another test quality all rounder we would be able to drop Jones/Anderson for him, and play Read at 8 instead of Jones.

tooextracool

International Coach
savill said:
Gilchrist bats at 7 and him and Flintoff are similar players, so I see no reason why he can't drop down. In an ideal situation, if we had another test quality all rounder we would be able to drop Jones/Anderson for him, and play Read at 8 instead of Jones.
just because someone else bats at 7 it doesnt mean that a similar player should bat in the same position. personally i dont think theres much doubt that gilchrist would perform just as well if he batted at 6.

Marcus

School Boy/Girl Cricketer
Jones is class for england I dont fink Read will ever get back into the team, hes class with the gloves but wid the bat he cant perform regullary...a shame...but the same happened with Jack Russell and Alex Stewart came through cos he was the better batter...Jones is the better batter and will improve with the gloves...i cant see Read getting back in....looking at Prior cuming through its hard to see Read even getting into England a

wils333

Cricket Spectator
sory to nitpik but jones dropped gibbs on the 4th evening of second test whihc could have been crucial for the 5th day for england to win. Read is the best keeper in england maybe even the world at the moment, ok granted in tests he may not be the best candidate (pryor looks pretty good at moment), but it was madness to drop Read for ODI's. He did nothing wrong, and Jones has only got scroes againt Zimbabwe, its a no brainer to bring him back, and we can't afford jones's mistakes behind the stumps.

Marcus

wils333 said:
sory to nitpik but jones dropped gibbs on the 4th evening of second test whihc could have been crucial for the 5th day for england to win. Read is the best keeper in england maybe even the world at the moment, ok granted in tests he may not be the best candidate (pryor looks pretty good at moment), but it was madness to drop Read for ODI's. He did nothing wrong, and Jones has only got scroes againt Zimbabwe, its a no brainer to bring him back, and we can't afford jones's mistakes behind the stumps.
100 against New Zealand ummmmmm Read never hit over 38....Jones hit that in his first innings for england vs windies...he scored regulary for england over the summer and is having a gud series now......Jones is the number 1 keeper...even his county supporters agree....Jones will be excellent wid the gloves as was stewart in the end..his batting is a bonus for the team..trouble is none of them can bat at the mo

savill

School Boy/Girl Captain
If Gilchrist can do well at 6 and 7, then that surely means that Flintoff could adapt?

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
Richard said:
So far this series I think Jones has dropped 2 catches, maybe 3, none of which have proven remotely significant.

So in the Second Test, when England were looking for wickets and he dropped Gibbs on the 4th evening, that wasn't significant?

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
tooextracool said:
personally i dont see any difference between batting at 6 and 7, unless its psychological
There's not really that much but obviously you want the better batsman higher up.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
marc71178 said:
So in the Second Test, when England were looking for wickets and he dropped Gibbs on the 4th evening, that wasn't significant?
How much longer did Gibbs last?
Not long.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
wils333 said:
sory to nitpik but jones dropped gibbs on the 4th evening of second test whihc could have been crucial for the 5th day for england to win.
But it wasn't.
Read is the best keeper in england maybe even the world at the moment, ok granted in tests he may not be the best candidate (pryor looks pretty good at moment), but it was madness to drop Read for ODI's. He did nothing wrong, and Jones has only got scroes againt Zimbabwe, its a no brainer to bring him back, and we can't afford jones's mistakes behind the stumps.
The fact of the matter is that everything points to Read being simply a better batsman in one-day-cricket than Jones - regardless of any wicketkeeping merits. If Jones was the better wicketkeeper I'd still pick Read for ODIs.
But in Test-cricket any mistakes Jones might make (and he's hardly cost any games with his poor wicketkeeping has he?) are more than made-up by the massively higher average.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
savill said:
If Gilchrist can do well at 6 and 7, then that surely means that Flintoff could adapt?
Why?
Just because one player can do something doesn't mean another can!

wils333

Cricket Spectator
I reckon that its not on the cards he will come back coz after the harsh dropping of him in the first place they arent't guna admit they r wrong so soon!! lol they r england selectors after all!!! btw i wasnt disputing the fact about Jones being a better batter in tests I just think people underplay the mistakes he makes, but i must admit read isnt really an option coz of his fairly poor 5 day batting.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Maybe people underplay the mistakes he makes because none have mattered in the slightest so far?

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
sledger said:
so does anyone believe that an ODI recall is on the cars for read?
Doubt it - unless England lose the first 3 ODIs and Jones scored 0 in all 3.

Marcus

wils333 said:
I reckon that its not on the cards he will come back coz after the harsh dropping of him in the first place they arent't guna admit they r wrong so soon!! lol they r england selectors after all!!! btw i wasnt disputing the fact about Jones being a better batter in tests I just think people underplay the mistakes he makes, but i must admit read isnt really an option coz of his fairly poor 5 day batting.
totally agree wid u..although i still believe on thw hole Jones wil be a better ODI international jeeper batsmen soon than he has been performing wid the bat......Jones really is the future for this position and i beklieve the selectors believe this and this is why Read since the Windies hasnt been let back in.....Reads One Day form was gud, but now Jones is doing well in tests why drop him for the ODIs.....it is the same case wid the attempt to have 2 differnet captains before the 99 world cup for the one day team and the test team, and the same that occured just after Hussains resignation of the One day captaincy after the 2003 world cup.....why bring back a player into what is a gelled team framework when the batting between the two batsmen is really not that differnet (and Jones i believe will improve)....Read had his chance and unfortunatly like Jack Rusell he has been taken over in the position due to the players poor batting.....Jones as all (most) test and One day keepers are allrounders....Read reallly doesnt fit solidly into that catagory

wpdavid

Hall of Fame Member
Richard said:
Maybe people underplay the mistakes he (Jones) makes because none have mattered in the slightest so far?
Not 100% true. The Gibbs drop should have brought in a new batsman who had just spent best part of 2 days in the field, which is a very different proposition to coming in an hour and a bit into the next morning. Also the new batsman would have to have faced a newer ball than he eventually did. OK, no-one can say for certain things would have panned out differently, but you can't rule it out either.