• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Michael Clarke Discussion thread

In which format(s), if any, should Michael Clarke be playing for Australia?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Often wonder if the game mightn't have been more one-sided had Clarke hit that ball actually.

So in that case, yeah, it was pretty wonderful as that taut final morning was the centrepiece of the series without which it'd never have been half of what it was.

NUFAN

Y no Afghanistan flag
Well, Mr Bell averages 43.08 by NUFAN's proposed measure.

Either he's better at handling pressure or the measure simply isn't that good.
That is quite interesting, but not so surprising. Ian Bell i find is a decent batter under pressure, he just seems to get out when he should be pushing on, after he's made a decent start.

I like Bell and think he is a more talented batter than Michael Clarke.

aussie

Hall of Fame Member
What a load of rubbish. Two I can think of are his second innings 91 at Lords (although Australia were ahead in the game, it was not by much and he was the driver for Aus getting in a winning position) and his ton in Adelaide against England where the Aussies were facing a score of 550. Sure it wasn't backs against the wall but they were pressurised innings' where his team needed him and he came through.
I'd be tempted to Add his 56 @ the Gabba as well, given his cricumstances leading up to that start of that series.

NUFAN

Y no Afghanistan flag
Yeah one thing with the stats that I did not work out was the exact situation of the match.

For example if Australia were 2/49 in the second innings chasing 63 to win, it's not exactly pressure, but his runs would still count on the numbers I've used.

In Australia's second innings in the current match against India, he's likely to be under pressure but his runs hopefully won't count either on the numbered stats I mentioned earlier.

Top_Cat

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Yeah one thing with the stats that I did not work out was the exact situation of the match.

For example if Australia were 2/49 in the second innings chasing 63 to win, it's not exactly pressure, but his runs would still count on the numbers I've used.

In Australia's second innings in the current match against India, he's likely to be under pressure but his runs hopefully won't count either on the numbered stats I mentioned earlier.
Yeah but you'd be hard-pressed to come up with a measure that works in every situation because the determination of what is a pressurised situation is so arbitrary.

NUFAN

Y no Afghanistan flag
Yeah but you'd be hard-pressed to come up with a measure that works in every situation because the determination of what is a pressurised situation is so arbitrary.
Yeah, you are right, just pointing it out for everyone that this is not a shut case that Clarke can't handle the pressure, I'm about to do Steve Waugh's stats next, could take a while. SWaugh batted at 3, think I'm just going to include 1 for 15..

Last edited:

NUFAN

Y no Afghanistan flag
Steve Waugh
Using the scores: 1/15 2/50 3/75, 4/120, 5/160 and 6/190.

13, 5, 74, 1, 0, [71], 73, 55, 27, 0, 13, 19, 4, 90, 26, 42,3, 21*, 16, 20, 25, 1, 14, 2, [10], 1, 26, 42, 4, [0], 41, 47*, 59, 26, 1, 73, 94*, 1, 0, 80, 63*, 21, 200, 61*, 67*, 58, 37, 1, 0, 8, 67, 60*, 25, 12, 108, 116, 4, 6, 2, 23, 96, 96, 17, 34, 12,27, 80, 33, 157, 15*, 96, 8, 14, 100, 9, 199, 23, 11, 19, 5, 150, 32, 10, 151*, 3, 41, 38, 15, 13, 0, 14, 102, 6, 42, 8, 18

** Scores in brackets, were under 1/15..

92 innings
9 not outs

3661 runs @ 44.10.

Anything above 40 in these sticky situations is fantastic IMO.

Last edited:

NUFAN

Y no Afghanistan flag
Actually I'm going to have recalculate.. innings and not outs are wrong, one sec..
Steve Waugh
96 innings, 9 not outs @ 42.08.

Last edited:

NUFAN

Y no Afghanistan flag
Will try and do Dravid and Flower soon, also very keen to see Sachin's record.

With Dravid, I think this is better for batters who normally bat 4 or so and not 3, cause one early wicket can always happen, will still do it over the next few days.

Uppercut

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Important to remember about Clarke that there's a potential replacement with an average of 55. He's really a great player, but should his place be guaranteed?

Mister Wright

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
They say form is temporary class is permanent when a player is in bad form, I guess the same could be said for a player who has the odd purple patch. Can't consistently score runs (therefore not that classy), but can have the odd stretch of good form. A little confusing, but I think I know what I mean.

Goughy

Hall of Fame Member
They say form is temporary class is permanent when a player is in bad form.
Yeah, but with MC Im not convinced of the class at the moment (or previously).

He may go on to be a very good Test player but he isnt there, IMO, yet.

As an England fan I dream of an Aus middle order of Clarke, Symonds and Watson + random keeper.

It certainly isnt bad but it isnt scary either.

Mister Wright

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Yeah, but with MC Im not convinced of the class at the moment (or previously).

He may go on to be a very good Test player but he isnt there, IMO, yet.

As an England fan I dream of an Aus middle order of Clarke, Symonds and Watson + random keeper.

It certainly isnt bad but it isnt scary either.
Yeah, which was basically my point. Don't think I conveyed it that well. If Clarke ever wanted to prove himself in a dire situation. Tonight is that chance.