• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Michael Clarke Discussion thread

In which format(s), if any, should Michael Clarke be playing for Australia?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
tooextracool said:
the australian selectors got it wrong its as simple as that....if you ask me bevan should have been moved around according to the situation, usually i would have him batting up the order when they batted first and have him batting down the order when they were chasing....
Personally I'd have had him at four when chasing and six when batting first.

EDIT: Actually, I still would.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Son Of Coco said:
Of course he was, and that's why Australia kept him at 6 for years, because having him come in at 3 and blaze 145 off 120 balls wouldn't have been to anyone's benefit.
Why on Earth not?!?!?!

tooextracool

International Coach
Richard said:
Personally I'd have had him at four when chasing and six when batting first.

EDIT: Actually, I still would.
if you think so...... i personally think that at 6 batting first he would only get to bat in the slog overs, when you would in fact want him to bat in the middle overs, thats where he is at his best. chasing of course is a different story, you want to get him in as late as possible so that he can guide the team to victory.
regardless the man is a legend, he could bat anywhere and still get the job done.

age_master

Hall of Fame Member
tooextracool said:
if you think so...... i personally think that at 6 batting first he would only get to bat in the slog overs
he amkes a good point, should have battted at 10 when batting first.

Eclipse

International Debutant
Son Of Coco said:
Of course he was, and that's why Australia kept him at 6 for years, because having him come in at 3 and blaze 145 off 120 balls wouldn't have been to anyone's benefit.
hahah sorry but i think most would take 145 off 120 balls Every time..

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
age_master said:
he amkes a good point, should have battted at 10 when batting first.
Which with that line-up means he wouldn't get a bat.

As one of the best of all time, I think he deserves a hit occasionally!

luckyeddie

Cricket Web Staff Member
marc71178 said:
Which with that line-up means he wouldn't get a bat.

As one of the best of all time, I think he deserves a hit occasionally!
He might get quite a bit of practice next summer

/just trollin' y'all - don't mean nuthin'

Nate

You'll Never Walk Alone
i definately think bevan should be playing ODIs and probably batting at four.

Waughney

International Debutant
If he was playing, not at 4 but at 6 or so, run chase master. He was given a go at 4 and it was found that he was much better down the order.

Nate

You'll Never Walk Alone
Waughney said:
If he was playing, not at 4 but at 6 or so, run chase master. He was given a go at 4 and it was found that he was much better down the order.
Ummm.... No.

He averages 59.61 at Number Four (including his best ever 108*) and 56.72 at Number Six helped by 52 not-outs from 105 matches in this position.

Waughney

International Debutant
Nnanden said:
Ummm.... No.

He averages 59.61 at Number Four (including his best ever 108*) and 56.72 at Number Six helped by 52 not-outs from 105 matches in this position.
Cricket is a team sport, and his job was to chase/organise run chases, which he did best down the order. Also his run rate was slowish when batting at no.4.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Bevan has proven exemplary at pacing a run-chase, coming in whenever you like.
Personally I'd have him coming in as early as possible, given that no-one has proven as adept.
Maybe he might bat a bit slowly at four when batting first, and that's why I'd have him lower down.
But chasing, he's proved he's capable of scoring at whatever pace the situation demands. With less risk than most need to employ.

tooextracool

International Coach
Waughney said:
Cricket is a team sport, and his job was to chase/organise run chases
if that were the case though, then you wouldnt be having bevan in the side when the team batted first....
which is why i said, since he hasnt exactly set the world alight with his ability to smash the ball out of the park, maybe it would be better to get him in at 4 when they bat first, so that he could bat in the middle overs?

tooextracool

International Coach
Richard said:
Maybe he might bat a bit slowly at four when batting first, and that's why I'd have him lower down.
but then youd have him coming in towards the end of the innings and slowing it down there......i would rather have bevan come in at over 25 than at over 45.

Mr Casson

Cricketer Of The Year
The worst with Bevan up the order was when he scratched around for ages and got out... Fair enough he had a reputation as a brilliant chaser but it was always a risk letting him waste time.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
tooextracool said:
but then youd have him coming in towards the end of the innings and slowing it down there......i would rather have bevan come in at over 25 than at over 45.
Well maybe, I'd not have a problem batting him anywhere.
Except opening, of course.