Cricket Player Manager

View Poll Results: In which format(s), if any, should Michael Clarke be playing for Australia?

Voters
60. You may not vote on this poll
  • Tests, ODIs and 20/20

5 8.33%
  • Tests and ODIs

38 63.33%
  • Tests and 20/20

0 0%
  • ODIs and 20/20

0 0%
  • Tests only

14 23.33%
  • ODIs only

0 0%
  • 20/20 only

3 5.00%
Page 38 of 42 FirstFirst ... 283637383940 ... LastLast

Thread: Michael Clarke Discussion thread

Quote Originally Posted by Matt79 View Post
    You're Caroline Wilson and I claim my $5!

Seriously, ****ing hate this line of argument. His responsibilities to his sponsor is to continue to convey the public persona that they've selected him for. The only consequence he's 'signed up' for is that if he diverges from that he will, a la Tiger Woods, lose that continued sponsorship. People have no right to act like tools towards him in public because of that.

Media are the worst scum. Like tonight on the news, there was a camera crew driving around stalking and filming Bingle while she was walking along the street. How the **** is her going outside her house newsworthy? I'm with Tom Cruise - if you've asked someone not to take your picture/videotape you, it should be illegal for them to disregard that request.
    Yeah that sickens me. For god's sake it's not your life to live.

Seriously, ****ing hate this line of argument. His responsibilities to his sponsor is to continue to convey the public persona that they've selected him for. The only consequence he's 'signed up' for is that if he diverges from that he will, a la Tiger Woods, lose that continued sponsorship. People have no right to act like tools towards him in public because of that.

Media are the worst scum. Like tonight on the news, there was a camera crew driving around stalking and filming Bingle while she was walking along the street. How the **** is her going outside her house newsworthy? I'm with Tom Cruise - if you've asked someone not to take your picture/videotape you, it should be illegal for them to disregard that request.
    Not interested in the snide remarks but you're a borderline Clarke fanboy so it's to be expected.

Not once did I speak about his responsabilities to his sponsor.

However, some people, like Michael Clarke, carefully cultivate their image, their brand. They do everything to protect that image, grow it and profit from it. And they profit from it greatly. It comes at a price. Now there are lines that should not be crossed for example media camping at his house, but if he expects to have a quite one at the pub after he's involved in the biggest story in the country he's delusional and so are you.

The media have been truly shocking in this affair. It's a situation where no one has painted themselves which much glory but there are no victims here.
    Rest In Peace Craigos
    2003-2012

U19 Debutant

The point is that the very reason why those sponsors sought out Clarke in the first place was because of his profile. Both Clarke and Bingle actively cultivated the "hot couple" image, and both actively sought to profit from it.

As much as the "famous for being famous" phenomenon annoys the living **** out of me, I have absolutely no sympathy for those who build their fortune through the attention of the media, and then complain about privacy when that same attention doesn't serve their purposes any more.

And Tom Cruise can go **** himself.
    Andy, not Nathan. NOT Nathan. My left hand is reserved for lighting cigarettes.

International 12th Man
    Quote Originally Posted by bracken View Post
    and tom cruise can go **** himself.
    +1

Quote Originally Posted by pasag View Post
    Not interested in the snide remarks but you're a borderline Clarke fanboy so it's to be expected.

Not once did I speak about his responsabilities to his sponsor.

However, some people, like Michael Clarke, carefully cultivate their image, their brand. They do everything to protect that image, grow it and profit from it. And they profit from it greatly. It comes at a price. Now there are lines that should not be crossed for example media camping at his house, but if he expects to have a quite one at the pub after he's involved in the biggest story in the country he's delusional and so are you.

The media have been truly shocking in this affair. It's a situation where no one has painted themselves which much glory but there are no victims here.
    A bit precious to call that snide IMO. Especially when you go on to call me a fanboy!

You're right - he (and Bingle) clearly deserve no respect from the public when going through a relationship breakup. Maybe he shouldn't realistically expect not to be hassled by gawking bogans, but they're the ones with a problem, not him. To say that he brought it on himself is tagging the victim as the guilty party. In this case - a) nothing he's done should damage his brand. b) nothing he was doing at the pub should damage his brand - he asked, not rudely by all accounts, not to be photographed. It was his friend who got aggro.

I think the issue that you and a lot of people have with him is shown in your comment that "some people carefully cultivate their image". That carries an unmistakable tang of disapproval unless I'm much mistaken - that by seeking sponsorship opportunities he's done something sordid and that he's now getting his just desserts when it turns on him. I don't get why that should be the case. I don't really think he's done anything untoward to 'cultivate' his image. Often, and I'm not saying this is why in your case, that hostility seems to stem from a perception that because of people like Clarke's success in getting sponsors they are overrated in terms of their profession, and perhaps even exempt from the levels of scrutiny others get. And hence, he deserves what he gets when the media cycle turns.

I don't accept that people who make themselves available to the media, or even court the media, deserve what occurs when the media turns on them. The media say that "they couldn't survive without us" but they don't acknowledge the truth that they the media are the parasitic ones in the relationship - they create and destroy 'celebrities' to amuse themselves and make easy money. If we acknowledge there's a lack of fairness about who gets offered the chance to become celebrity idols, we should also acknowledge that most of us would take that chance as well, especially if it were offered to us in our early 20s.
    Quote Originally Posted by Irfan
    We may not like you, your filthy rich coffers or your ratbag scum of supporters but by god do we respect you as a football team
    GOOD OLD COLLINGWOOD - PREMIERS IN 2010

Is Cam White, Is Good.

I think the issue that you and a lot of people have with him is shown in your comment that "some people carefully cultivate their image". That carries an unmistakable tang of disapproval unless I'm much mistaken - that by seeking sponsorship opportunities he's done something sordid and that he's now getting his just desserts when it turns on him. I don't get why that should be the case. I don't really think he's done anything untoward to 'cultivate' his image. Often, and I'm not saying this is why in your case, that hostility seems to stem from a perception that because of people like Clarke's success in getting sponsors they are overrated in terms of their profession, and perhaps even exempt from the levels of scrutiny others get. And hence, he deserves what he gets when the media cycle turns.
    eh? look at my industry and then get back to me. You miss the point because you try and tell me what I'm saying, you're trying to fit my views in with others (whether it be Caroline Wilson, or whichever idiot Collingwod supporters you speak to on a regular basis) and make my arguments for me.

At the end of the day, I don't judge, dislike or have any feelings of schadenfreude towards any party involved. I just note that people make choices and their choices have trade offs and consequences that they have to live with.

At no stage did I criticise Clarke for his behaviour. All I asked is, what did he expect?

Cricketer Of The Year four_or_six's Avatar
    If you sell the story of your engagement for $$$, I don't see how you can be surprised when you split up that the media are all over it. Especially if you sold another story for $$$ about your private life just a week earlier. There's definitely a distinction between players who take on sponsorship deals and have a certain image, and people who actually sell stories of their personal lives to the media.
    Last edited by four_or_six; 16-03-2010 at 01:13 PM. Reason: sp

Quote Originally Posted by pasag View Post
    eh? look at my industry and then get back to me. You miss the point because you try and tell me what I'm saying, you're trying to fit my views in with others (whether it be Caroline Wilson, or whichever idiot Collingwod supporters you speak to on a regular basis) and make my arguments for me.

At the end of the day, I don't judge, dislike or have any feelings of schadenfreude towards any party involved. I just note that people make choices and their choices have trade offs and consequences that they have to live with.

At no stage did I criticise Clarke for his behaviour. All I asked is, what did he expect?
    Have I upset you Zac?

Have I upset you Zac?
    Getting mentioned in the same breath as Wilson never goes down well

TBF, may have had a few last night

Hall of Fame Member Son Of Coco's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by four_or_six View Post
    If you sell the story of your engagement for $$$, I don't see how you can be surprised when you split up that the media are all over it. Especially if you sold another story for $$$ about your private life just a week earlier. There's definitely a distinction between players who take on sponsorship deals and have a certain image, and people who actually sell stories of their personal lives to the media.
    Exactly, if you want to profit from being recognisable then unfortunately you don't get to pick and choose. If you want your privacy then you have to accept that it'll take greater means than the average person, especially given you're making money out of not being the average person.

You can't say "I only want to be in the papers and magazines when I'm making some cash out of it".

Far, far more famous people than Michael Clarke and Lara Bingle manage to keep themselves pretty quiet.
    "What is this what is this who is this guy shouting what is this going on in here?" - CP. (re: psxpro)

R.I.P Craigos, you were a champion bloke. One of the best

R.I.P Fardin 'Bob' Qayyumi

Member of the Church of the Holy Glenn McGrath

"How about you do something contstructive in this forum for once and not fill the forum with ****. You offer nothing." - theegyptian.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Son Of Coco View Post
    Exactly, if you want to profit from being recognisable then unfortunately you don't get to pick and choose. If you want your privacy then you have to accept that it'll take greater means than the average person, especially given you're making money out of not being the average person.

You can't say "I only want to be in the papers and magazines when I'm making some cash out of it".

Far, far more famous people than Michael Clarke and Lara Bingle manage to keep themselves pretty quiet.
    To take someones photo you should ask permission, if they decline you should not take their photo. I cant see it being anymore simpler than that.

Quote Originally Posted by Streetwise View Post
    To take someones photo you should ask permission, if they decline you should not take their photo. I cant see it being anymore simpler than that.
    Would $200,000 change your opinion?

EDIT: As far as the girls in the bar go I agree. I certainly wouldn't take the photo in that situation. Working with the media is another thing though.
    Last edited by Son Of Coco; 16-03-2010 at 09:02 PM.

I don't think anyone thinks what the girls did was right in any way.

Moving on...

Clarke's media appearance this morning was amazing. He's the most media savvy person to come out of Australian cricket ever. Rest assured if he's captain there will never be any controversy started from something he said at a press conference. He was cool, calm and very gracefully pushed aside any specific questions about his private life.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Son Of Coco View Post
    Would $200,000 change your opinion?
    Is this a bribe?.

Is this a bribe?.

It depends, are you willing to do nude work?

Page 38 of 42 FirstFirst ... 283637383940 ... LastLast

Thread Information